5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

Stats.  They used a CI to do a drug buy, probably at a dealer's house that is paying them off.  Then use those drugs and the description of a fake house to get the warrant.  Plan to execute the warrant, plant drugs get a arrest.  They get kudos for busting some drug dealers.  They probably picked these two unfortunate souls due to the request to do a drug related welfare call.  Whoever called it in isn't going to second guess the bust.  

So far this is starting to look like the best explanation unfortunately. More reason to have an outside investigation. Hopefully the media keeps after it

Stats.  They used a CI to do a drug buy, probably at a dealer's house that is paying them off.  Then use those drugs and the description of a fake house to get the warrant.  Plan to execute the warrant, plant drugs get a arrest.  They get kudos for busting some drug dealers.  They probably picked these two unfortunate souls due to the request to do a drug related welfare call.  Whoever called it in isn't going to second guess the bust.  

That is some super-frightening shit. Need this investigated/prosecuted to the fullest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Someone with more knowledge of the law - can a cop with "throw down" drugs in his possession be charged just the same as a normal citizen would with possession of those drugs?

Obviously they probably wouldn't be charged but could they?

Yes. In addition to Tampering with Evidence it would also be Possession of Controlled Substance. I don't know whether there is an exception in the Health and Safety Code making lawful their possession of a controlled substance, or the Public Duty defense in Chapter 9 of the Penal Code justifies their possession, but possession under those circumstances would be negated regardless.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

from one of the articles above, which i thought yall were joking about:

cop is carrying heroin in his city vehicle. he was absolutely setting this couple up for a drug arrest. the cynic in me assumes that this is some kind of protection racket gone wrong. but at the end of the day, drugs on the table arrests shower those cops in glory. enough of them, and cops get promotions.

one wonders how many innocent people are sitting in prison because of this cop and others like him. it frightens the fuck out of me that cops can just do this shit.

Here's a little contest...

HPD officer among 5 arrested in crackdown of Chinatown gambling sites

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/HPD-officer-among-5-arrested-in-crackdown-of-13320563.php

Ex-Houston officer convicted of supplying guns, police data to Zetas cartel traffickers

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Ex-Houston-officer-convicted-of-supplying-guns-6762878.php

CRIME  Officer charged with money laundering financed Lamborghini through police credit union

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/officer-charged-with-money-laundering-financed-lamborghini-through-police-credit-union/285-532830685

The Horror Every Day: Police Brutality In Houston Goes Unpunished

https://www.texasobserver.org/horror-every-day-police-brutality-houston-goes-unpunished/

Heroes.

31 minutes ago, Dewey said:

They have ruined "innocent until proven guilty", in no way should any official from Houston ever utter those words.

To protect and to serve...

Nah, that doesn't seem to fit either.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Full stop.  If the facts are at all in line with what is posted right above, this needs to go to a higher authority, and right now.

Oh, and as I read the source stories.....at this point, the question may just needs to be whether, among the charges, two counts of homicide should be included.  And not just manslaughter -- actual murder.  Because if the intent was to commit a felony (planting drugs would most certainly be a felony), and in the course of that, someone died, that's murder.

This story stunk from the beginning.  But even I didn't think it would end up looking THIS bad....and there's still a lot we don't know.  I don't get the feeling that additional information will make things any better -- it will almost certainly make them even worse.  Wow.

How does it work? Who has to call on the Feds or the Rangers? Can Sylvester do it? Has to be within the PD? I expect that the FBI can step in of their own accord but remind me the last time it happened. 

Anyone heard from the idiot union rep who was threatening citizens for speaking ill of cops before all the truth came out?

Because while he’s not AS evil as the ones who plant evidence and lie on warrants and, ya know, SHOOT PEOPLE - he’s a big part of the reason they truly bad eggs get away with this garbage and helps cover their abuses up and shames the citizenry when they rightfully cry foul.

Houston, y’all have a problem.

47 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

How does it work? Who has to call on the Feds or the Rangers? Can Sylvester do it? Has to be within the PD? I expect that the FBI can step in of their own accord but remind me the last time it happened. 

I know it happened in NOLA after Katrina.

Buncha NOPD in cuffs after their investigations.

edit - Here ya go.  H-Town trying to catch up.  I mean those NOPD fucks are just flat out evil...

Five Current and Former New Orleans Police Officers Charged in the Shooting and Burning of a New Orleans Man in the Days After Hurricane Katrina 

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/neworleans/press-releases/2010/no061110.htm

Edited by Cajun

6 minutes ago, PW119 said:

https://abc13.com/hpd-officer-at-center-of-controversial-raid-shot-twice-before/5141523/

Ofc Goines has been shot twice before.

“In 1992, Houston police said Goines had just completed a narcotics transaction when he stopped to urinate on a tree. The homeowner, who was worried about burglars, walked outside and spoke to Goines. Moments later, police said at the time, he returned with a pistol. Goines was shot in the jaw.

In 1997, what was first believed to be a narcotics bust turned out to be a deadly case of road rage on the Southwest Freeway, according to police. Days after the shooting that left Goines injured and another man, Reginald Dorsey, dead, police said the two were competing for space on the freeway. Dorsey pulled out a gun. Both men fired. Goines was shot in the arm and abdomen.”

Totally normal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elnimo said:

vlcsnap-2014-07-31-11h47m33s110.png

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I remember that. Sometimes the FBI just barges on in.

Art better watch his ass. 

You know what would be really cool? If the FBI sent in undercover agents to the ten largest PDs in America. They would go through the police academy and join the force as rookies. They would stay on the force and rise in rank for five or ten years, but they would really be working for the feds, Donnie Brasco-style. Give it some cool name like Operation Fried Bacon....

They all ghost back to DC on the same day, cop heads roll from NYC to LA, and PDs think twice about encouraging systemic corruption forever and ever. Or at least the cops are paranoid about it going forward...

Will never happen of course, the same as Art won't go down over this. It's like some of you slept through the PD politics subplots in The Wire. Shit rolls down the Chain of Command, and Art is insulated by at least two subordinate tiers of "rogue" "bad apples."  

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

happened under his watch.

Even if he's did not commit the act, he's responsible* when it's not an isolated incident and clues/ allegations have been ignored before.

*in a world with accountability

I wonder how many people are going to get let out of jail when all of this comes to light. Any other case involving this group of dirty cops testimony should be tossed. Not really easy to prove when you started lying. Once your credibility is gone then everybody should get out IMO.

You raise a good point here. It is highly unlikely that this was the first time that Goines framed someone. The Harris County defense bar is probably already reviewing the files of everyone who was convicted based upon the testimony of Goines.

Motions to reopen those cases to exclude and/or re-examine the evidence are coming. The costs for that judicial review will be substantial for the the city. Anyone who is exonerated will likely bring a civil action, and those costs could be staggering.

Police misconduct in Chicago has resulted in massive liabilities for taxpayers. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/new-wrongful-convictions-could-pressure-chicagos-finances-484458081.html

Killing/shooting/incarcerating innocent people is unacceptable. When it happens because a cop lied it’s unconscionable. Regardless of the cost, all of those people are entitled to justice. Hopefully it will include not only compensation for the victims and criminal charges for those responsible, but also reforms that would include at a minimum a reassessment of the use of no-knock warrants and the circumstances under which they can be obtained.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

AKA Fantasyland.

I know.

Want to win the general public over to Kaepernick's side?    have a public sitdown with Acevedo or some fucker like that and discuss policy/ accountability. Especially with regard to the current meltdown in Houston NOT being race related, I think it would allow for more focus on procedure and protocol.

Yes, I know it will never happen by either side.  The only winners would be the general public, not Acevedo nor the SJW front.

Edited by slorch

You raise a good point here. It is highly unlikely that this was the first time that Goines framed someone. The Harris County defense bar is probably already reviewing the files of everyone who was convicted based upon the testimony of Goines.

Motions to reopen those cases to exclude and/or re-examine the evidence are coming. The costs for that judicial review will be substantial for the the city. Anyone who is exonerated will likely bring a civil action, and those costs could be staggering.

Police misconduct in Chicago has resulted in massive liabilities for taxpayers. https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/new-wrongful-convictions-could-pressure-chicagos-finances-484458081.html

Killing/shooting/incarcerating innocent people is unacceptable. When it happens because a cop lied it’s unconscionable. Regardless of the cost, all of those people are entitled to justice. Hopefully it will include not only compensation for the victims and criminal charges for those responsible, but also reforms that would include at a minimum a reassessment of the use of no-knock warrants and the circumstances under which they can be obtained.

Yep, I could hear the mass of Houston defense attorneys licking their collective lips in thirst whilst listening to Art’s presser yesterday. Glad I’m not a Harris County taxpayer right about now. The good news is that if it is half as bad as I suspect it is for the city, there’s no way even Acevedo could be insulated from the fallout. Heads will roll, and I’ll be there with my popcorn and lawn chair.

Art talks about the closeness of his troops, after the raid, then says yesterday, that theres a lot of them, hard to monitor. He talks about getting all the facts, which is the right way of doing things, but his guys didnt get any facts before busting in a door and killing 2 people.

I understand having power can be a powerful drug and if Art ever has a realization about his current life, hes going to feel like shit. Same goes for so many politicians.

13 hours ago, Cajun said:

LOL. We had a bunch of Bed Bath & Beyond (wife’s choice, don’t judge me) packages from our wedding registry stolen.  BB&B said I needed a police report to get replacements sent.  I called and this mother fucker came out.  Wouldn’t write a report for me because I couldn’t give him exact dates and times for the theft.  It wasn’t until I asked him for his name and badge number and told him I was going to contact my city council rep that he decided to give me a report.  Fuck that dude.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 1:53 PM, Brisketexan said:

"The" has a shitty take, film at 11:00.  Back to the topic.....the story is coming out about the residents who shot the cops.  Not much of a criminal record (seriously, a bad check charge for one, that's it).  They shot the cops upon the cops making entry.

I'm curious as to whether the cops who made entry were in uniform.  And whether they announced themselves as cops.  Because, otherwise, I can see a counter-narrative pretty easily -- a couple who lives in a bad neighborhood had a group of armed men kick down their door and make entry.  And they defended themselves and their homes.

I'm FAR from saying that's what happened.  I'm just saying that the circumstances so far are at least causing an eyebrow to be raised.

And of course:

I have never understood the para military mentality of knock warrants. The police should expect to be shot up when they employ this tactic, and therefore should only practice it as a last resort. These people had what amounts to a hit put on them. I am pretty sure the owners of the house go to the store or wherever. They could pick them up anywhere instead of putting people in the cross hairs. 

I was particularly impressed that the lady was shot and went into the back and reloaded and came back out and returned fire (if the police reports are accurate) Of course they took a 12 ga to her dog to start the festivities, prolly a good motivator.

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You know what would be really cool? If the FBI sent in undercover agents to the ten largest PDs in America. They would go through the police academy and join the force as rookies. They would stay on the force and rise in rank for five or ten years, but they would really be working for the feds, Donnie Brasco-style. Give it some cool name like Operation Fried Bacon....

They all ghost back to DC on the same day, cop heads roll from NYC to LA, and PDs think twice about encouraging systemic corruption forever and ever. Or at least the cops are paranoid about it going forward...

Will never happen of course, the same as Art won't go down over this. It's like some of you slept through the PD politics subplots in The Wire. Shit rolls down the Chain of Command, and Art is insulated by at least two subordinate tiers of "rogue" "bad apples."  

Helluva plan. 

And no, I am not enough of a dreamer to think that he's ever going to get touched by the dirty deeds. It might make things testy at the pressers and it might make him look at leaving but Art will be protected by layers of cops.

47 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Yeah there aren't body cams here.  I don't believe a word of how it went down.  We had a long thread on TOS about how a no knock killed a man who police said shot at them, but forensic evidence said he was still lying in his bed.

i am jut catching up to this story. wow. no one knows anything about anything - address, reasoning, nothing and people are dead and one cop had a shitload of drugs in his trunk. ok then.

how about this - its all friendly fire. cops shot at everyone, including themselves. hell, i will just assume that is how this went down until further notification. at the wrong address for no actual reason. 

have fun Art. 

glad to see Tapper running this. Story does not need to go away. 

Agreed. This is going national. Too much scrutiny now for Art to sweep it under the rug. They’ll try mightily, though.

And for those of you who wonder, stories like this are EXACTLY why a free press is a vital necessity as a check on govt power. Journalists are doing good work here. Here’s hoping they have their teeth sunk in and won’t let go.

14 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Google Jason Van Dyke and read his news the past few days.  Cops know they have to stay out of prison, and cover for each other in whatever ways necessary.  Top job of the police unions, keep their guys out of the slammer, no matter how heinous the crime.

What I find interesting is that this case is bringing questions from all sides, not just the typical ACLU types.  

I hope the pressure builds until folks are called on the carpet and potentially imprisoned for their dereliction of duty and punished for their crimes. 

I don't care how 'insulated' Acevado might be, like Paterno, like Briles- if gross transgressions are occurring under his watch.  he needs to burn.

What I find interesting is that this case is bringing questions from all sides, not just the typical ACLU types.  

I hope the pressure builds until folks are called on the carpet and potentially imprisoned for their dereliction of duty and punished for their crimes. 

I don't care how 'insulated' Acevado might be, like Paterno, like Briles- if gross transgressions are occurring under his watch.  he needs to burn.

I hate to say it, but a big reason that “all sides” are paying attention to this is because the dead citizens are regular white folks, and not “black drug using thugs.” If they were black, a shitload of folks would dismiss all questioning and criticism as “BLM and antifa anti-cop bullshit, back the blue!” The fact that they had a small amount of drugs and pretty normal firearms would be used to dismiss them as “criminal thugs.” It’s ugly, but you know it’s true.

I’ll take it, because investigation and the truth are important no matter what. But let’s not lie to ourselves and discount the fact that a big part of this dynamic is that these were white folks.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

“In 1992, Houston police said Goines had just completed a narcotics transaction when he stopped to urinate on a tree. The homeowner, who was worried about burglars, walked outside and spoke to Goines. Moments later, police said at the time, he returned with a pistol. Goines was shot in the jaw.

In 1997, what was first believed to be a narcotics bust turned out to be a deadly case of road rage on the Southwest Freeway, according to police. Days after the shooting that left Goines injured and another man, Reginald Dorsey, dead, police said the two were competing for space on the freeway. Dorsey pulled out a gun. Both men fired. Goines was shot in the arm and abdomen.”

Totally normal.

It was at first thought to be a drug bust because that's what he told.  There was probably too much evidence to ignore, which is why the story changed so dramatically.  And does ANYONE believe Dorsey pulled his gun and fired first?  This cop has been preying on Houstonians for decades.

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I hate to say it, but a big reason that “all sides” are paying attention to this is because the dead citizens are regular white folks, and not “black drug using thugs.” If they were black, a shitload of folks would dismiss all questioning and criticism as “BLM and antifa anti-cop bullshit, back the blue!” The fact that they had a small amount of drugs and pretty normal firearms would be used to dismiss them as “criminal thugs.” It’s ugly, but you know it’s true.

I’ll take it, because investigation and the truth are important no matter what. But let’s not lie to ourselves and discount the fact that a big part of this dynamic is that these were white folks.

You're absolutely right.  Same goes for the Daniel Shaver execution in Maricopa County.  It went national because it was a white guy being killed by police.  But as more and more cases like this come out, it should cause anyone with even a hint of intellectual honestly to go back and review the other BLM cases without prejudice, cases like Philando Castillo or Laquan McDonald (see Jason Van Dyke above).  Sadly, this has been going on without mass uproar in the minority communities for a long time.  Hell, Tupac was rapping about it in the 90's.

Agree.
Buuuuuut, If we had white cops + black victims certain groups would be drawing a lot more attention from national media.

News Now Houston (himself former police) has a new video out and in it, he goes over some of the performance incentives of the narcotics division.

I'm guessing any narcotics arrest/investigation involving officer Goines (and potentially other dirty cops in that unit) will now be under scrutiny.  This is going to cost the city taxpayers millions and millions of dollars in litigation costs, let alone the civil settlements that will likely be 10 times more in the end.  This is some Serpico level shit.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns