Texas vs. kanssas - ESPN at 6:00pm

Pancho

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Excuse me, how the fuck is Texas only a 1pt dog in this game?

kenpom has had this as a one point game all year. we were actually favored by one before losing to UGA. the fact of the matter is that KU is nowhere near as good as people thought they would be, they lost their most important player, and Texas is often competitive and is playing at home. the only thing that would surprise me is if we blew them out. other than that, i could see us winning a close one, losing a close one, or getting stomped if KU is hitting shots. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

kenpom has had this as a one point game all year. we were actually favored by one before losing to UGA. the fact of the matter is that KU is nowhere near as good as people thought they would be, they lost their most important player, and Texas is often competitive and is playing at home. the only thing that would surprise me is if we blew them out. other than that, i could see us winning a close one, losing a close one, or getting stomped if KU is hitting shots. 

The Big 12 is so fucking winnable this year, it’s nauseating. And we’re not even in the consideration.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the fuck would anyone neg that?

Edit: whoops. Wrong thread. This post might look really dumb if we beat KU tonight. lulz.

I was actually thinking about this. I’d be willing to bet Charlie got to year 4 if not for losing at kansas. Is there a basketball equivalent to losing at Kansas, or does UT not care enough about basketball for any event/series of events re basketball to have a similar kind of impetus to fire Shaka this year? Obviously, there’s no one game like there is in football,

but would going 4-7 in our next 11 games, losing first round of the conference tourney, be along those lines? We’d finish 15-17, 7-11 in Conf, and likely finish 8th in the Big 12. Id assume that would make us miss the big dance. That sounds pretty fucking miserable, but I’m not even sure that would be bad enough to seal Shaka’s firing, like the Kansas game did for Charlie. Do y’all think we’d have to do even worse than that for Shaka to get fired? 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

why when he's not going anywhere?

(i want a new coach, but just don't believe he will be fired this year.)

Because if he loses this game, this team misses the tournament, and Shaka is a dead man walking. Even if he gets to cling to his job another year. 2 tourney appearances and 0 tourney wins in 4 years is simply indefensible. 

If he wins, this team can still limp into the tournament. And it makes CDC's decision more difficult.

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

Because if he loses this game, this team misses the tournament, and Shaka is a dead man walking. Even if he gets to cling to his job another year. 2 tourney appearances and 0 tourney wins in 4 years is simply indefensible. 

If he wins, this team can still limp into the tournament. And it makes CDC's decision more difficult.

even with a loss and missing the tournament, there's just nothing out there that gets me to believe he'll be fired.  yes, it's indefensible but would they fire him this year for that?  i'm not seeing it. 

and this is coming from someone who wants a new coach

regardless, we getting kilt tonight. 

3 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

even with a loss and missing the tournament, there's just nothing out there that gets me to believe he'll be fired.  yes, it's indefensible but would they fire him this year for that?  i'm not seeing it. 

and this is coming from someone who wants a new coach

regardless, we getting kilt tonight. 

i'll say what i said in the other thread, if limp into the postseason and miss the tourney, i believe that if CDC identifies the right candidate and he's available then Shaka will be gone. You can't pass up on the right candidate when he's available and you know you are done with your current guy. Otherwise he probably surivives, but i sure hope not. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Edit: whoops. Wrong thread. This post might look really dumb if we beat KU tonight. lulz.

I was actually thinking about this. I’d be willing to bet Charlie got to year 4 if not for losing at kansas. Is there a basketball equivalent to losing at Kansas, or does UT not care enough about basketball for any event/series of events re basketball to have a similar kind of impetus to fire Shaka this year? Obviously, there’s no one game like there is in football,

but would going 4-7 in our next 11 games, losing first round of the conference tourney, be along those lines? We’d finish 15-17, 7-11 in Conf, and likely finish 8th in the Big 12. Id assume that would make us miss the big dance. That sounds pretty fucking miserable, but I’m not even sure that would be bad enough to seal Shaka’s firing, like the Kansas game did for Charlie. Do y’all think we’d have to do even worse than that for Shaka to get fired? 

basketball is different than football at Texas. its all about the tournament. if he makes the tournament he stays given the buyout.  he misses the tournament twice in 4 years he's gone IMO.  Rick Barnes success might help in this regard and CDC is not going to want to stand around watching the dumpster fire with a new arena on the way.  Will Baker bailing might also push that as well.

It may be wishful thinking but I'm hoping CDC has the list of 2 guys that he has run by the money men to say if I can get either of these 2 are you in?  We hate firing coaches but this is not CDC's guy.

The rumor that Shaka has a bigwig in his corner might be true.  I'm sure he learned one thing from the Mack situation(yes I know it was before his time but I'm sure he saw it play out).  Make sure you have at least one big money guy in your corner.  I'm also assuming there are less big money folks who care that much to screw around with basketball.

we at least have the minimum expectation to make the tournament at Texas.  all that said, I can't imagine he makes the tournament, though people have said the bubble is really bad this year.

6 minutes ago, chase25 said:

This has all the makings of a Shaka Smart special tonight. We slay the Jayhawks (who are wounded ducks playing without a true Center and a 4 guard lineup) in Austin and all is right.

I think he had his Charlie Notre Dame game with UNC but maybe this is his Oklahoma.  regardless, we'll keep it close because KU just isn't their normal selves this year.

I fear / expect Kansas will drive into Hayes/Simms all night and our defense will over-collapse around the ball, allowing for a pass for a wide open three or dump off to a second man in the paint for a layup attempt.  The past several games we've shown a relapse into poor rotation... with our guards continually cheating in off their man and DO drifting way out to cover some stiff in the corner.  Hayes/Simms have been faced with a ton of 2 on 1 situations as a result.

Self will study our film and change up stuff that didn't work so well against us in the first meeting.  

I'll be glad just to see our guards (the guys that are supposed to be able to handle the ball) not panicking, jacking up ugly shots by even playground standards, or committing unforced turnovers.

We don't have a calming, confident, or reliable presence on the court or bench and it will likely bite our ass again if it's a close game at the end.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Defense is crumbling.  I think we lose by 5-10.

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think he had his Charlie Notre Dame game with UNC but maybe this is his Oklahoma.  regardless, we'll keep it close because KU just isn't their normal selves this year.

This is too right.

And then we will drop the OSU game in Austin (I.e., losing to KU in football).

28 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i'll say what i said in the other thread, if limp into the postseason and miss the tourney, i believe that if CDC identifies the right candidate and he's available then Shaka will be gone. You can't pass up on the right candidate when he's available and you know you are done with your current guy. Otherwise he probably surivives, but i sure hope not. 

Who is paying Shaka's buyout?  

There is no equivalent to 2016 Kansas football left on our schedule. Oklahoma State is 81 in KenPom right now, though I assume they'll drop as the roster attrition takes its toll.

The closest was when we were a Matt Coleman floater away from losing to Tennessee State at home last year.

I think missing the tournament is the bright line.

Edited by Machinator

39 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

I fear / expect Kansas will drive into Hayes/Simms all night and our defense will over-collapse around the ball, allowing for a pass for a wide open three or dump off to a second man in the paint for a layup attempt.  The past several games we've shown a relapse into poor rotation... with our guards continually cheating in off their man and DO drifting way out to cover some stiff in the corner.  Hayes/Simms have been faced with a ton of 2 on 1 situations as a result.

You should be hoping like hell the KU game plan is to jack up lots of 3s...we suck at it.

Devin Dotson v Matt Coleman will be fun to watch, two pretty good young PGs.  That's about the most interesting thing about this game with both teams playing pretty shitty.

38 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

in a tossup, don't most home teams get favored by a field goal? 

That's NFL.  3 points to the home team.  NBA is 7 points.  I really don't know what it is for college basketball or football.  I would suspect it to be about the same.

1 minute ago, shakahorn said:

That's NFL.  3 points to the home team.  NBA is 7 points.  I really don't know what it is for college basketball or football.  I would suspect it to be about the same.

I think its 10 points in college. So if Texas is a 3 point favorite at home to KU, they would be a 7 point dog AT KU