Anderson High senior murdered by two Murchison eighth graders

South Austin

4 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

There was a single kid in my class of 600 who would have been 15 in 8th grade at this point in the year. So yeah, it's not impossible, but it's definitely uncommon.

Knew a kid in HS who was 16 in 8th grade. True story. Guy drove to the last semester of 8th grade and was my ride off campus my frosh HS yr. 

the middle school teachers felt so bad for him they let him park in the little teachers lot.

Edited by Doc Reeves

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

Take this with a grain of salt, kids will hear shit and play a great big game of "telephone", but my GF's kids go to Murch and Anderson, and they said it started out because the victim was selling some sort of vape fills and when the suspects showed up, the victim changed the price and it all went downhill.

Heard a similar rumor, and if true it is just so fucking sad.

Middle school age talk not going away.  

I am a father of an 8th grader. He and all of his 8th grade friends are turning 14 right around now. An 8th grader who has been held back would be turning 15 around now.  Maybe it’s a little bit of a red flag that a kid was held back, but not much of one. 

Take this with a grain of salt, kids will hear shit and play a great big game of "telephone", but my GF's kids go to Murch and Anderson, and they said it started out because the victim was selling some sort of vape fills and when the suspects showed up, the victim changed the price and it all went downhill.

Interesting. Not hard to believe. Vaping is all the rage in that crowd - seriously, my son is taking about someone getting busted for it every week.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Lotsa Martin JH/Anderson HS parolees up in here.

In hindsight, Holly Street wasn't that bad. There were some very real dangers (e.g., eighth-grader and East Side Brotha Martin Sepeda beating up the principle!), but most of it was exaggerated.

If you close your eyes and concentrate, you can still hear Mr. Hamilton yelling at students to "stop actin' a fool!" in shop class or Coach Ponzoha screaming "Slapshot!" whenever a plastic puck went flying.

I used to dread going to 7th grade Industerial Arts class.  Mr Hamilton had no idea what was going on in that class.  I remember the “locals” that were in that class throwing the lead printing press letters all over the class at everyone that got in the way.  Those things sting when they hit you.  All I would ever hear was “stop actin’ a fool,” but the lead kept flying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So they're a high school in Austin. Got it. 

And in case you didn't read, the kids that did the murdering were Murchison students. Not Anderson. 

Doss and Anderson are great. Pretty much every middle school in AISD sucks except Kealing magnet (which still sucks, but less so. And isn't any safer than Murchison or O'Henry).

Common route for Austin parents/kids is to go public/private/public. A lot of my high school buddies went Casis/Private/Austin High.

I think call to go O’Henry is almost a cohort by cohort decision. I’ve a 6th grader there and damn near his entire 5th grade class from Casis went(boy wise, not having daughters I’ve no clue on that side) and there’s a huge group of current 5th grade boys at Casis that are also coming. Most of the kids we know that chose private for 6th (small number overall) are worried if their kids are smaller/younger and think kid couldn’t handle it  from that perspective  

Casis unlike Bryker and Barton Hills doesn’t have a 6th grade so you have to make call exiting 5th. 

56 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

But if you had been held back a year, you would have started your senior year at 19! 

nope, this is wrong. my son has a july birthday, started kinder at 5, started senior year just after turning 17, very young in his class. plenty of summer b-days get redshirted and will start senior year at 18. you aren't eligible for sports if you turn 19 before Sept 1 of your senior year. If the kid in this instance is 15 in 8th grade and he's into murdering folks, I doubt it's because his parents were concerned about maximizing his physical and intellectual maturity for success in school and started him late      

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Interesting. Not hard to believe. Vaping is all the rage in that crowd - seriously, my son is taking about someone getting busted for it every week.

A while back we asked our daughter if she's heard of drug use at Lamar.  She said no, but told us she's walked into the bathroom and seen girls vaping, and has promptly turned around and left.  Exactly what they were vaping is unclear. 

Lived in Austin, Dallas and Houston over the last 30+ years and the Junior Highs are ALWAYS the weak link in the chain. Not just the whole akward age thing either - the middle schools are uniformly overcrowded, poorly managed, and full of long-term, unresolved major issues.

My kids are in 7th grade and I cannot wait for HS.  Hell I'd send them to Skyline or Wheatley any day over Forest Meadow or Welch (my alma mater).

33 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I'm finding this post really hard to believe. 

*YOU* have a girlfriend?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

A while back we asked our daughter if she's heard of drug use at Lamar.  She said no, but told us she's walked into the bathroom and seen girls vaping, and has promptly turned around and left.  Exactly what they were vaping is unclear. 

My 6th grader at Lamar turned Narc on a couple of kids she saw selling vapes. Made me proud.

13 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Lived in Austin, Dallas and Houston over the last 30+ years and the Junior Highs are ALWAYS the weak link in the chain.

Administrators will tell you middle school isn't about education, it's about survival. There's too much growing up done in those 3 years to make it anything but a complete clusterfuck.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

nope, this is wrong. my son has a july birthday, started kinder at 5, started senior year just after turning 17, ....

Nope. You're wrong. I was replying specifically to Macanudo and quoted him saying he started senior year at 18.  I was noting that if HE had been held back a year in say the third grade, HE would have started senior year at 19.

I know, I know...Maths: how do they work?

In fact, like your son, I started and finished my senior year at 17. I was not held back a year.  😉

1 minute ago, DoobieWah said:

Nope. You're wrong. I was replying specifically to Macanudo and quoted him saying he started senior year at 18.  I was noting that if HE had been held back a year in say the third grade, HE would have started senior year at 19.

I know, I know...Maths: how do they work?

In fact, like your son, I started and finished my senior year at 17. I was not held back a year.  😉

If someone starts their senior year at 18 they had already been held back, or started late, by definition    

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Administrators will tell you middle school isn't about education, it's about survival. There's too much growing up done in those 3 years to make it anything but a complete clusterfuck.

My wife taught 7th (6th?) grade one year.  She said that about halfway through that year, all of the girls turned 13 (12) and started to get their periods and turned into complete monsters.  We had one car back then, so I'd pick her up every day after work and she'd cry all the way home.  I finally told her that she was either quitting that job immediately or we were getting a divorce.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

My wife taught 7th (6th?) grade one year.  She said that about halfway through that year, all of the girls turned 13 (12) and started to get their periods and turned into complete monsters.  We had one car back then, so I'd pick her up every day after work and she'd cry all the way home.  I finally told her that she was either quitting that job immediately or we were getting a divorce.  

Yeah, although the problems may manifest in other ways, the essential problem with middle school/junior high will always boil down to adolescence and onset of puberty and the monstrousness that entails.

14 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

HEB ISD has a different approach.. Elementary is k-6th, Jr high is 7th-9th, HS is 10-12th.. As a former teacher i always thought that made a ton of sense. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

a 15 yr old 8th grader rings all KINDS of alarm bells.

At Martin Jr High in 1984, his name was Chocolate.

If you haven't seen it in a while, you would be surprised at how gentrified the 1st/Comal/Holly area is now.  Lots of white people walking around at dusk on a weekend.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, although the problems may manifest in other ways, the essential problem with middle school/junior high will always boil down to adolescence and onset of puberty and the monstrousness that entails.

That and the kids are smart enough to know they're kind of smart, but not smart enough to realize how dumb they are still. (even more so than high school, college)

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

That and the kids are smart enough to know they're kind of smart, but not smart enough to realize how dumb they are still. (even more so than high school, college)

And to add to the mess, middle school seems like the time when most parents (like me) get their kids a smart phone and wider access to social media and the internet.  Downfall of society and all . . . .

10 minutes ago, Pogo said:

At Martin Jr High in 1984, his name was Chocolate.

If you haven't seen it in a while, you would be surprised at how gentrified the 1st/Comal/Holly area is now.  Lots of white people walking around at dusk on a weekend.

To be fair, Chocolate was a 14 year old 8th grader at Martin Junior High in 1983.  And he was a 16 year old 8th grader at Martin Junior High in 1985.  So...

I echo what Brisketexan said on both points.  Murchison is getting unacceptably overcrowded.  And while I don't think there's any cause of concern about Anderson (still a great and relatively safe school), I wonder if the Murchison population boom will spill over to Anderson in the coming years. 
And we're big fans of Lamar.  When our daughter was in kindergarten at Highland Park in 2011, there was a ridiculously low number of fifth graders who went on to Lamar.  By the time she was a fifth grader, the number of her classmates attending Lamar had skyrocketed.  As far as public schools in AISD, it's about as good as you can get for throwing your kid into the middle school wild.  But yeah, we understand that this tragedy could also happen at Lamar and McCallum.  It still shakes you up. 

I don’t know man. I just had to pull my daughter out of Lamar at mid year because of some very weird shit they couldn’t seem to deal with. I really didn’t want to pull her out because we love the school, the staff and the community, but they seem very challenged to deal with troubled kids.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

To be fair, Chocolate was a 14 year old 8th grader at Martin Junior High in 1983.  And he was a 16 year old 8th grader at Martin Junior High in 1985.  So...

I wonder if Chocolate is still enrolled at Martin Jr. High.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t know man. I just had to pull my daughter out of Lamar at mid year because of some very weird shit they couldn’t seem to deal with. I really didn’t want to pull her out because we love the school, the staff and the community, but they seem very challenged to deal with troubled kids.

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that.  I've been fortunate that my daughter and her circle of friends have not had that experience.  One of our closest couple friends have a son who is very . . . let's say "challenging" . . . and they had a hell of a time finding schools in AISD to accommodate him.  They had luck for his fifth grade year at Highland Park, but have been back to the drawing board for middle school.

44 minutes ago, The University said:

damn this sucks. i have a 5th grader who was excited about going to murch next year. now, she's sorta freaked out.

My son is going to Murchison next year as well (if he doesn't get into Kealing). There's a parent info session tonight for incoming 6th graders. Should be interesting with all the freaked-out parents. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Apparently the Lamar, Kealing, Murchison and O’Henry vape supplies pipeline runs through the house park skate park.
Or so I’ve heard.

Probably not the worst thing those kids could be buying at the skate park.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, texashorne said:

HEB ISD has a different approach.. Elementary is k-6th, Jr high is 7th-9th, HS is 10-12th.. As a former teacher i always thought that made a ton of sense. 

That's what I grew up with in West Texas.  And as a teacher now, yes-it still makes sense.  Even more sense, actually.

2 minutes ago, Big D said:

Here are some so called “Heroes” from the old Martin days.  They all look so friendly.  Chocolate not pictured and they all look over the age of 15.  Hell, I think some could have drove to school.

C80-DDAE8-4365-4868-A517-BBDF4-BB30382.j

you sound like many a white male describing hispanic teen boys

hear it on the soccer field every saturday

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

with a son in 6th grade, i can attest to this. jesus christ, what a transition from 5th grade to 6th. and my son is much less mature than his peers, and we have all the behavior problems and grades that go with that.

My sister is a teacher at Murchison, and it has definitely hit the school hard.

However, that school in general has been by the far the best she's worked at, outside of the aforementioned overcrowding.  Definitely the best middle school in AISD outside of maybe Gorzycki.  It does have a mix of socio-economic backgrounds, as they still send kids from places east of Mopac, but that is probably good for the otherwise super sheltered kids that go there.  

She did teach at Bedichek, so she would laugh at calling it 'Murchitraz'.

46 minutes ago, Big D said:

Here are some so called “Heroes” from the old Martin days.  They all look so friendly.  Chocolate not pictured and they all look over the age of 15.  Hell, I think some could have drove to school.

C80-DDAE8-4365-4868-A517-BBDF4-BB30382.j

Their women appear to have potential.