Dallas dining

bigup2dahorns

Mesero drama (D Magazine):

Rumors have swirled since last year that restaurateur Michael “Mico” Rodriguez, of Mesero Restaurant Group, had “been tossed out by his partners.” Those rumors turned out to be untrue. Until now.

Trey Dyer, President and CEO of Mesero Restaurant Group, announced Rodriguez’s departure on Wednesday in a press release. He cites “multiple extended absences” as reason for Rodriguez’s removal as CEO early last year. He was moved to a position within the company that allowed him to “focus entirely on the creative side of our business. Unfortunately, he was not successful in that transition.” Rodriguez had most recently battled cancer. He told Nancy Nichols last year that it was in remission, but that his energy remained low and complained of hot flashes.

We’re attempting to contact Rodriguez for comment. But should you be new to Dallas or otherwise wondering why Rodriquez’s departure from the restaurant group he founded is newsworthy, consider that the man behind Mi Cocina is our own, controversial but self-made, king of Tex Mex, whose reach began more than 25 years ago with a 12-seat restaurant and grew to an empire. Rodriquez was behind the move toward the presentation of upscale Tex Mex for an audience ready to spring for a refined take on prettily plated enchiladas accompanied by trendy cocktails. This was, as it turns out, a winning business model. Ultimately, it’s one that will have left him behind.

Here is Dyer’s full statement. We’ll update this post if we hear from Rodriguez.

It is with great disappointment that we announce the departure of Michael “Mico” Rodriguez as an employee of Mesero Restaurant Group. We are proud of the work we’ve been able to accomplish with Mico since the opening of Mr. Mesero in 2011 and the subsequent opening of five Mesero restaurants in North Texas.

In early 2017, after multiple extended absences, it was decided with Mico that he would no longer serve as CEO of Mesero Restaurant Group. With the demands of a fast-growing restaurant establishment in multiple communities all over the DFW area he was to focus entirely on the creative side of our business. Unfortunately, he was not successful in that transition. More recently, Mico requested that the Mesero ownership release him from his partnership obligations with the organization and buy him out. Throughout this process, we have taken great pains to work with Mico in hopes of finding a solution that would allow us to end our partnership on friendly terms.

Unfortunately, after several months of discussions, we have not been able to reach an agreement to conclude our business together and furthermore, we have learned that Mico has violated our trust and the terms of our agreement on multiple occasions. As a result of Mico’s actions, we regrettably have determined it is necessary to pursue legal action.

There is probably lots more to this story.  He was also kicked out of and sued by M group, which he also founded.  Talented guy, but lots of demons in that one.

“He had everything, and everything going for him,” Dick Washburne says. “I mean, it’s really pathetic. Here is a guy who has real charisma. Everybody wants to love him. He has genuine talent and ability. And yet practically everything he touches he turns into a stake he’s trying to drive through his own heart.”

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2009/september/the-rise-and-fall-of-dallas-restaurateur-mico-rodriguez/

I need to hit that Latin Deli on NW Highway soon.  Have yet to try a Cuban sandwich in Dallas that tastes like a real Cuban sandwich.  Two big misses recently.  One at a new latin place below my building downtown (horribly dry pork on shitty bread) and the other at Uncle Uber's today (tasty but not in any way a real Cuban sandwich).

What place did you try downtown?

Have you tried the Latin Deli down by the courthouse?

On 4/4/2018 at 1:44 PM, Chad Fuck said:

What place did you try downtown?

Have you tried the Latin Deli down by the courthouse?

The place downtown I went to is underneath the old Republic Bank Building on St. Paul & Pacific.  Have not tried the other one.

If I didn't think so highly of this guy's general overall restaurant work, I'd think this place sounded way too douchey to try.  Borderline insulting trying to describe a pizza place this way.  But, I really want a place to succeed in that spot, So I guess I'll give it a shot.

Nick Badovinus’ Perfect Union Pizza Co. Opens Tonight

Expect pies with verve.

BY EVE HILL-AGNUS PUBLISHED IN FOOD & DRINK APRIL 4, 2018 6:51 PM
SMS

Just two months ago, I wrote about prolific and high-profile restaurateur Nick Badovinus eyeing a spot in the developing area east of downtown for a future project. Now, his pizzeria in Highland Park Village, a delayed team-up with Julian Barsotti named Perfect Union Pizza Co., is opening for its first service tonight.

The spot is a casual, street-level pie shop animated by Badovinus’ signature sense of dynamism.

“We wanted the pizza to be light,” Badovinus says. “But we still wanted the flavor and vibrancy.”

The team opted for a style that differs from Fireside Pies’s pillowy, generous Neapolitan style. “[Perfect Union is] a little bit more restrained and tailored,” Badovinus says. “It’s more of a New World style,” crisp, but still with a bit of chew—“a pizza that can really carry its own weight.”

The dough is a punch-twice, 24 hour-fermented, soft, semolina-dusted round that does a quick in and out of the 700-degree deck oven, three minutes, and it’s done.

Aside 12 pizzas and a build-your-own option, the menu includes oysters, rotisserie chicken, crudos, chopped salads, and pasta. Libations take the form of wine on tap, beer, granitas, spritzes, and half a dozen cocktails.

Set in a glitzy shopping destination, Badovinus describes Perfect Union as having “kind of a popular sensibility to it and a lot of verve. Part of what I like about pizza in general [is that] by its very nature, it’s social. We wanted to create a place that honors that tradition a little bit, without creating a temple of reverence to an art form.”

“There’s joy in it,” Badovinus says of the pie-slinging project.

“It’s been a lot,” he says of opening a handful of other locations in the last 14 months that include a new branch of Neighborhood Services, and more. With this one, he says, “We’re really trying to bring something fun and casual to the party. Something you can use on the regular.”

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/2018/04/nick-badovinuss-perfect-union-pizza-co-opens-tonight/

Edited by Landomatic

On 4/1/2018 at 9:21 PM, panthercityhorn said:

Went to Up on Knox last night to celebrate a couple's anniversary.  Began the meal with a Seafood Tower-12 oysters, 6 mussels, 6 clams, 6 poached shrimp, and a half lobster.  Our table of ten shared two of these and loved the opener.  Followed that up with  a cheese board-amazing flavors in the five cheeses.  I had yellowfin tuna while my wife ordered the 44 farms burger.  Both of our entrees were top shelf-I highly recommend this place.  And the service was so spot on, but never intrusive, that I never had to ask for a refill-the staff was attentive enough to see when the glass was nearly empty, and they asked me.

Pretty sure it's Lando that called Up on Knox "half pregnant" on the OS. I've only had a couple drinks at the bar but most people I've heard from didn't speak particularly highly of it. Prices looked pretty steep for what you were getting too.

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Had III Forks last night-- was pretty good, but seems like a 2nd tier steakhouse in Dallas. Does that impression feel correct?

Yeah it used to be the shit about 15 years ago.  Haven’t considered going there in years though.  Seems like it might have gotten pretty old.

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Pretty sure it's Lando that called Up on Knox "half pregnant" on the OS. I've only had a couple drinks at the bar but most people I've heard from didn't speak particularly highly of it. Prices looked pretty steep for what you were getting too.

Yeah I’m not a huge fan.  Really over priced and not sure what kind of food it is.  They have a little bit of everything but not enough of anything.  Plus everything I’ve ever ordered has come out plated deconstructed or rustic to the point of just being sloppy.  Cool space and service is good though.  And it always has a pretty good pulse.

Two places of note from my trip to Dallas. 

The omni hotel has a sports bar called the Press Box. Had a great brisket hot dog.

Also, ate at Nate's Seafood in Addison. Good vibe felt like I was back at a joint in Louisiana. It is crawfish season so there was a wait. Delicious 

Chop House is almost right across the street. There also is the Mexican place across from it on Main and St. Paul or one of the places in the new Statler. All easy walking distance.

Not sure what’s open at Statler yet. The only restaurant as of a few months back was the brunchy-type place.

Also, the Mexican place is called Wild Salsa.  Couldn't remember it last night.  It's pretty good.  Owned by the same people as Chop House IIRC.

If you're wanting to stay in walking distance I would probably go with one of those.  A few blocks further away is a Campisi's (not a destination place, more like a cafeteria IMO), and a couple of other places in Stone Street Walkway that I've not visited in at least two years (Sol Irlandes and the Woolworth).

If walking isn't an issue then there are a bunch of places in Deep Ellum you could visit, depending on what sort of food/vibe you want.  Braindead Brewpub, Cane Rosso, Pecan Lodge, Revolver Taco, Armory DE, just to name a few.

6 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Also, the Mexican place is called Wild Salsa.  Couldn't remember it last night.  It's pretty good.  Owned by the same people as Chop House IIRC.

If you're wanting to stay in walking distance I would probably go with one of those.  A few blocks further away is a Campisi's (not a destination place, more like a cafeteria IMO), and a couple of other places in Stone Street Walkway that I've not visited in at least two years (Sol Irlandes and the Woolworth).

If walking isn't an issue then there are a bunch of places in Deep Ellum you could visit, depending on what sort of food/vibe you want.  Braindead Brewpub, Cane Rosso, Pecan Lodge, Revolver Taco, Armory DE, just to name a few.

Thanks. I’ve done Cane Rosso and it’s great. I was considering Pecan Lodge, just didn’t know if it would be crazy busy. Braindead Brewpup looks great, too. 

Revolver Taco is good too.  Right across the street from Pecan Lodge.  Any one of those 3 are good choices.  I also like Armoury DE.  My neighbor's kid is either sous chef or now head chef there.  Interesting menu (Hungarian slant).

I keep meaning to get to Braindead but haven't made it.  Everyone I know who has been there really likes it, though.

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Moving up next month. Hit me with some must gos. Haven’t spent any time up there that wasn’t drunken TX/OU.

Check the Dallas section.  Lots more there.  In fact, this thread should move there IMO.  The main food travel board should be general or for any city outside Austin, Dallas or Houston.

1 hour ago, ocugolf said:

Thanks. I’ve done Cane Rosso and it’s great. I was considering Pecan Lodge, just didn’t know if it would be crazy busy. Braindead Brewpup looks great, too. 

I'm good friends with the people behind Braindead.  Their food is surprisingly good.  You wouldn't expect it from a brewpub.

Braindead is great. Revolver is too but there's one common table that seats about 15 total -- I'm serious. Sounds like the sports bar-type thing is open at Statler. I'd honestly do that. Haven't been to the sports bar place since it opened but it was a cool space. Pool tables and 4-5 lanes of bowling too. Rooftop bar up top if you please. Isn't the food at The Joule pretty good. Also have The Woolworth -- but that might be more of a walk to the Majestic than you want to make.