Dallas dining

bigup2dahorns

Yes, we went to the soft open. It's great. Pretty much a scaled-down version of Uchi downstairs, which is OK by me. I think they've updated the space upstairs but I never went to Top Knot, so I can't say for certain.

(Is there going to be a Dallas sub-board that we can have separate threads for BBQ, Mexican, Pizza, etc?)

What's up boys.

One vote for adding sub-board here.  Great resource for a cuisine-by-cuisine basis.  Can't imagine having to dig through a mega thread to find the name of that one restaurant one of you was talking about that one time.

Until then...Cattleack still kicks ass...

b9OflG.jpg

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

What's up boys.

One vote for adding sub-board here.  Great resource for a cuisine-by-cuisine basis.  Can't imagine having to dig through a mega thread to find the name of that one restaurant one of you was talking about that one time.

b9OflG.jpg

Este

I'agree with the sub-boards.

Until then, here is my impression of Bouillon.

It’s hard to review this place.  The food was wonderful, especially the two entrees (grouper and duck).  Both were as good as I would expect at a Michelin star restaurant, perfectly cooked with sophisticated, understated sauces.  The salmon rillettes were good, but I prefer the version at Bolsa.  The wine, all French, was very nice. 

The room is beautiful.  It’s intimate, very stylish and old school –calling out to a yacht or cruise ship dining room.   The patrons fit the room.  The men were boring in their suits and blazers, but the fashion show of the women as they walked in, blowing kissing and waving to friends, was something else.  It’s quite the scene, even on a random Wednesday night.

Our server was perfect.  Graceful, quiet and efficient.  I wish she would be my server every time I go out to eat.  On the other hand, the server for the nearby tables, was loud and obnoxious in detailing every element of every dish, without being asked.  It was amusing, however, hearing him describe the classic items on the classic French menu to a table of native French speakers, presumably from France. “Duck confit is……”

I gotta say it was odd seeing the servers in jeans, simple white shirts and goofy bow ties.  The leather aprons were nice, but the overall look didn’t fit the special vibe of the room.  Maybe that’s peculiar to me because, at the prices, Bouillon will be a special occasion place for us. On the upside, the servers were all clean cut, nicely groomed, with all hair away from the face – a wonderful change of pace from the Oak Cliff server aesthetic that I see at even nice restaurants (other than Hattie’s and Lucia) that is more along the lines of: “I haven’t bathed in a few days, but my grungy look is cool and doesn’t affect the cleanliness of the food.  Trust me.”

Overall, I’d go back for a dressy night out with friends.  It is definitely one of the special spots in Dallas.

• Like 1

Took the wife to Sachet for lunch a few days back. Really nice place, big emphasis on vegetables and Mediterranean style meats. They make their own bread in their pizza oven. Porchetta sandwich was fatty deliciousness and probably had more fat/calories than the rest of the lunch combined.

Edited by MidTexHorn

On 3/25/2018 at 11:29 AM, C-Man said:

Yes, we went to the soft open. It's great. Pretty much a scaled-down version of Uchi downstairs, which is OK by me. I think they've updated the space upstairs but I never went to Top Knot, so I can't say for certain.

(Is there going to be a Dallas sub-board that we can have separate threads for BBQ, Mexican, Pizza, etc?)

I like the new place more than top knot.  Not blown away by it but good. 

Thought teppo was better but but a lot more expensive. 

On 3/25/2018 at 12:05 PM, Landomatic said:

What's up boys.

b9OflG.jpg

looks amazing.  

Went to Sprezza last weekend and thought it was very hit and miss. 

Fritto: a bunch of tempura fried broccoli rabe with 2 shrimp. Just not very tasty. 

Sausage pizza with english peas peas was really good. 

Cacio e pepe: had to be sent back, I’ve never had a dish with more pepper in it in my life. It almost looked like it was swimming in some kind of black speckled gravy. 

Replacement was solid but I couldn’t get the pepper taste out of my mouth the rest of the meal. 

Prices were fair (espescially the wine bottle prices) and it seems like a good place to go with a group and sample different things. 

I need to hit that Latin Deli on NW Highway soon.  Have yet to try a Cuban sandwich in Dallas that tastes like a real Cuban sandwich.  Two big misses recently.  One at a new latin place below my building downtown (horribly dry pork on shitty bread) and the other at Uncle Uber's today (tasty but not in any way a real Cuban sandwich).

Anyone been to The Mercury lately at Preston/Forrest? (Formerly Mercury Grill?) I hadn’t been in awhile. They took the private dining room and flipped it into a sushi bar with additional seating. Can order off of the sushi menu and the regular menu in that room. Food was great as I remembered from prior visits. I had sushi appetizer and then Lamb Shank. Friends had steaks and sushi. Will definitely go back. 

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I need to hit that Latin Deli on NW Highway soon.  Have yet to try a Cuban sandwich in Dallas that tastes like a real Cuban sandwich.  Two big misses recently.  One at a new latin place below my building downtown (horribly dry pork on shitty bread) and the other at Uncle Uber's today (tasty but not in any way a real Cuban sandwich).

Latin Deli is awesome. I doubt you will be disappointed 

8 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Anyone been to The Mercury lately at Preston/Forrest? (Formerly Mercury Grill?) I hadn’t been in awhile. They took the private dining room and flipped it into a sushi bar with additional seating. Can order off of the sushi menu and the regular menu in that room. Food was great as I remembered from prior visits. I had sushi appetizer and then Lamb Shank. Friends had steaks and sushi. Will definitely go back. 

Interdasting.  I don’t think I’ve been there since about 2010 or so.  Which is the only time we’ve been there.  And we absolutely loved it then.  No clue why we never went back.  Probably need to give it another go sometime.  Sounds better than ever.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Holy shit, that's still there?  I went to The Mercury way back in 1999. 

12 hours ago, Skipper said:

Not completely on topic but I heard that Alamo Draft House in Lake Highlands finally opened last night.   My neck of the woods so pretty pumped and hope that brings more development to the area.  And yes, another vote for sub-forums.

Finally!

im live less than 5 mins away from that one for right now. 

On 3/29/2018 at 9:21 AM, thepop said:

Left DFW last year but there's definitely some food I miss. The Trinity Groves area has some fantastic restaurants.

Good God, no. That area has (apparently) done the unthinkable -- it's brought Off Site Kitchen down a few notches. Nothing hold my interest over there, though I do like LUCK a little bit.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 10:12 PM, Landomatic said:

I just had the best damn burger and fries I’ve ever had in Dallas.  Al Biernat’s.  They’re always good there, but tonight seemed special.  Just a damn good meal too to bottom and not really that expensive considering all the factors.  

Never had the burger in there. One of wife's best GFs goes to Al's all the time for lunch. She swears by the roast beef sandwich au jus.

BTW, you can get a killer burger at Hudson House. Chelsea Corner has the burger figured out too.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Never had the burger in there. One of wife's best GFs goes to Al's all the time for lunch. She swears by the roast beef sandwich au jus.

BTW, you can get a killer burger at Hudson House. Chelsea Corner has the burger figured out too.

I’ve also heard the burger at Mesero is insanely good.  And their hot dog.  I wouldn’t know because I’d never think to order a burger or hot dog at a Mexican place. 

On 3/27/2018 at 2:49 PM, MidTexHorn said:

Took the wife to Sachet for lunch a few days back. Really nice place, big emphasis on vegetables and Mediterranean style meats. They make their own bread in their pizza oven. Porchetta sandwich was fatty deliciousness and probably had more fat/calories than the rest of the lunch combined.

Our kids go to school with the chef/owner's kids.  Great people, and Gemma and Sachet are great spots.  That porchetta sandwich had an entire article written about it in the observer after they started doing lunch.  Its great.  

Sachet Is Now Open for Lunch, and the Porchetta Sandwich Is a Game-Changer

Edited by uterod

Not fine dining by any stretch, but there was a great subway shop on Asbury across from SMU called NY Subway.  The longtime owner called it quits a couple of years back and no one apparently stepped up to take it over.

They had a store on the drag 20-30 years ago, too.

In any event, it is apparently back with the same menu and a few changes.  HP types and anyone in the central/north dallas area may want to give it a go.  Definitely a cut above for subs.  https://www.yelp.com/biz/new-york-sub-dallas-3?adjust_creative=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA&utm_campaign=yelp_api&utm_medium=api_v2_business&utm_source=dWJMtmYxpd5N5yoyzSuhtA

Poked my head into the new casual Italian place in highland park village called Perfect Union Pizza Co.  The one downstairs by the movie theatre where the KT Burger place once stood.  Place looks great.  Finish out is by far the best that’s ever been in that space.  GM was there and was super friendly.  Showed us around and talked through the menu with us.  Pizza, sandwiches, salads.  Supposedly opening Tuesday.  If the food is as good as everything else appears to be, this place may actually have a shot.  First restaurant that’s really felt right for that space.

Went to Up on Knox last night to celebrate a couple's anniversary.  Began the meal with a Seafood Tower-12 oysters, 6 mussels, 6 clams, 6 poached shrimp, and a half lobster.  Our table of ten shared two of these and loved the opener.  Followed that up with  a cheese board-amazing flavors in the five cheeses.  I had yellowfin tuna while my wife ordered the 44 farms burger.  Both of our entrees were top shelf-I highly recommend this place.  And the service was so spot on, but never intrusive, that I never had to ask for a refill-the staff was attentive enough to see when the glass was nearly empty, and they asked me.