Favorite Short Getaway Destinations

BadgerHorn

Looking for Surly suggestions on destinations for long weekend getaways.

Considerations:

- relatively easy to get to from a major airport within the continental US so that it's a worthile trip within 3-4 days

- preference to places with some variety of things to do: food, events/sports/festivals/music/arts/history, hiking/fishing/outdoor activities

- places worth going back to on a semi-regular basis (say anywhere from 2x/year to every few years)

- not super touristy / obvious places like Manhattan, Miami, Orlando, unless it's some lesser known, nearby spot

- primarily asking from the perspective of an adult, but feel free to provide kid-friendly suggestions for others

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I feel like I advocate for Mexico City on every thread, but I'll do it again. It has everything in your variety of things to do with the possible exception of Fishing (as far as I know). 2.5ish hours direct from the major Texas airports.

And you don't have to do Mexico City every time. There is also Oaxaca and Guadalajara. It's a hassle to get to, but I plan on going to San Miguel de Allende this year or next.

29 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I feel like I advocate for Mexico City on every thread, but I'll do it again. It has everything in your variety of things to do with the possible exception of Fishing (as far as I know). 2.5ish hours direct from the major Texas airports.

How is the airport in MEX as far as Customs and Immigration clearance times?

I have thought about doing a three or four day long weekend trip down there. 

Crystal City

In Arlington VA?  I live nearby.  It's still very commercial and office building heavy.  Amazon's attempts to attract millenials may change that.

For reference, my favorite getaways have been getting back to Austin and Madison, San Diego / Carlsbad, Fort Lauderdale, Clearwater, NC Outerbanks

Future considerations:

Acadia National Park 

Destin / Panhandle area, but avoiding spring break

Charleston... if I can avoid everyone else that seems to love going there

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Not too long in CDMX.  I don't think I've ever waited more than 20 minutes to get through customs and immigration.

14 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

We went for Memorial Day Weekend last year and it was a breeze and the location of the airport is great for getting in and out quickly. Only negative is that most touristy things are closed on Mondays.

On 1/29/2019 at 10:15 AM, BadgerHorn said:

Looking for Surly suggestions on destinations for long weekend getaways.

Considerations:

- relatively easy to get to from a major airport within the continental US so that it's a worthile trip within 3-4 days

- preference to places with some variety of things to do: food, events/sports/festivals/music/arts/history, hiking/fishing/outdoor activities

- places worth going back to on a semi-regular basis (say anywhere from 2x/year to every few years)

- not super touristy / obvious places like Manhattan, Miami, Orlando, unless it's some lesser known, nearby spot

- primarily asking from the perspective of an adult, but feel free to provide kid-friendly suggestions for others

On 1/29/2019 at 10:31 AM, Zepol87 said:

Prepare for arguments over San Diego, and Denver. I vote for Mexico

MILE HIGH BEER FESTIVAL - March 2nd, 2019

Description:

The legendary, always local, always sold out Mile High Beer Festival returns in 2019!

Join us Saturday, March 2nd for the Annual Mile High Beer Festival at our new downtown venue, Number 38, as we sample the best craft beers in the great state of Colorado. With over 90 delicious beers to try - this is the one beer festival you just can't miss out on!

AFTERNOON & EVENING SESSIONS
• Session 1 – 1pm-4pm (VIP at 12pm, Early Admssion at 12:30pm)
• Session 2 – 6pm-9pm (VIP at 5pm, Early Admission at 5:30pm)

WHAT TO EXPECT
• 40+ Colorado breweries (the most we've ever had!)
• 90+ Colorado Craft Beers to sample (even more for VIPs!)
• Full list will be announced on Facebook
• Three full hours of tasting (4 for VIPs)!
• Food trucks
• Cool vendors
• Awesome music

General Admission
Includes entry to the event and unlimited sampling

Early Admission
Includes 30 minutes early entry and unlimited sampling

VIP
Includes one hour early entry with VIP-only offerings, commemorative glass

This is a 21+ event.

The Mile High Beer Festival proudly supports Minds Matter of Denver. Minds Matter of Denver is committed to making college education a reality for accomplished high school students from low-income environments since we first opening 2004. Students are paired with two adult mentors and spend time during weekly after-school sessions working on summer and college applications, standardized test preparation, community service efforts, writing and speaking skills, and other life skills that benefit the student academically and personally. How would we know? The staff of 11 Creative are also mentors at Minds Matter! If you're interested in learning more, shoot us an email and we will tell you all about it!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2019-mile-high-beer-festival-tickets-53163378095

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

Puerto Rico is technically still in the US just not continental, easy ass flights though.

If you live in Dallas or Houston with a direct non-stop its still 4.5 or somewhere on the east coast.  If you don't its going to be 6-7 hours. 

Sedona, Arizona is my favorite for getaways such as this.  PHX is a an easy flight, and the drive to Sedona from there is less than two hours.  Great hiking and dining, spas for pampering, art, gorgeous views that never get old.  Also can do day trips to the Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Jerome, Sunset Crater, and numerous other cool places.   

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Charleston
New Orleans
Denver
Santa Fe
Charleston
Charleston
Charleston

Left off Asheville.

For a little less touristy look at Greenville, SC or do a couple days in both there and in Asheville. Flying direct in Charlotte and driving up is likely quicker in addition to cheaper than flying into ASH or GSP.

Another good combo is Savannah with Charleston.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

What would one do in Vancouver/Victoria over 3-4 days in April? Weather is cool as usual, but the price is right.

Vancouver:

Hotel Georgia

Prohibition Bar (in the Georgia)

Miku Sushi

Grouse Grind

Sea to Sky gondola in Squamish

Shannon Falls

Granville Market

Capilano suspension bridge

Went there in April last year for our 10 year anniversary. Kick ass trip...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Vancouver:

Hotel Georgia

Prohibition Bar (in the Georgia)

Miku Sushi

Grouse Grind

Sea to Sky gondola in Squamish

Shannon Falls

Granville Market

Capilano suspension bridge

Went there in April last year for our 10 year anniversary. Kick ass trip...

Looks like I can get 2 people roundtrip from DFW for $524. I'm about to pull the trigger.

^^^ Pull it. Can't wait to take the kids there. City stuff, ocean stuff, mountain stuff all within minutes of each other. We lucked out and got 2 days of beautiful sunshine. Then got 2 days of drizzling rain, which was fucking awesome up along the misty trails around Squamish. Bring some rain jackets and waterproof hikers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, smuggs said:

^^^ Pull it. Can't wait to take the kids there. City stuff, ocean stuff, mountain stuff all within minutes of each other. We lucked out and got 2 days of beautiful sunshine. Then got 2 days of drizzling rain, which was fucking awesome up along the misty trails around Squamish. Bring some rain jackets and waterproof hikers.

Booked a Fri-Tues trip in April with a car to hit Squamish and Whistler. I'm not sure if we'll ho to Victoria yet, but we might have a free day to do it.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

Sunny isles beach.

fly into FLL and Uber to acqualina.  Dinner outside there or at the Hyde.  Breakfast on your balcony.  

If you get bored, head south.  Until then sit your ass on a padded lounge chair and watch the thong parade.

remember the little flag routine at panchos Mexican buffet?  Your lounge chair has a flag - you know the drill - whatever you want they’ll bring it.

the finest everything - cars, shopping, nightlife, fishing, hotels, dining is all at your fingertips, with a Russian Lyft/Uber driver to narrate.

Edited by CoTex
Cause I spell better the second time.

• 4 months later...

We like Mexico but are migrating away from the Yucatán and spending more time in Puerto Vallarta. There are several direct flights out of Houston each day which makes for an easy Austin -> Houston -> PV flight as far as connections go. With a comfortable but quick connection at Hobby you’re (Austin) gate to (PV) gate in about 5 hours.

We liked Tulum (haven’t been back in a few years) and still enjoy Isla Mujeres and recently discovered Holbox - with the direct from Austin to Cancun the Yucatán has been easy, but if we had to pick one spot right now it would be Puerto Vallarta. It’s a sizable town with charm unlike the cities on the Yucatán with a variety of things to do from remote beaches down the coast to sailing on the bay to local outdoor night time festivities, watersports like parasailing and jet skis, to fishing, and a vibrant expat scene which also happens to be very gay. The sunsets provide the anchor for every day. The water is everything you expect from the Pacific. And the mountains in the background provide a nice calm counterbalance. It’s hot but the beeeze often makes it much better especially if in the shade. They speak English but you can dive into learning the language. There is old town architecture, remote places and not my favorite but hokey tourism like with any sizable destination town if you’re so inclined. We are here now and have another week planned this summer. It’s a perfect place for us to completely relax, meet new people and enjoy a place that makes you glad to be alive.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is pretty nice, if you're a nature lover who needs the comforts of a city close at hand.

Grand Junction, Colorado is a pretty good spot from which to make day-trip forays in all four directions for cool stuff to do.

I could probably vacation for a month in Portland, Maine, without getting bored.

Likewise Mackinac Island on the Michigan upper penninsula.

And if you haven't spent time in Quebec City, you need to.

Plus, of course, the aforementioned Mexico City (though on the interior, I actually prefer either Queretaro or Guanajuato).

On 7/4/2019 at 6:02 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is pretty nice, if you're a nature lover who needs the comforts of a city close at hand.

Grand Junction, Colorado is a pretty good spot from which to make day-trip forays in all four directions for cool stuff to do.

I could probably vacation for a month in Portland, Maine, without getting bored.

Likewise Mackinac Island on the Michigan upper penninsula.

And if you haven't spent time in Quebec City, you need to.

Plus, of course, the aforementioned Mexico City (though on the interior, I actually prefer either Queretaro or Guanajuato).

Would love to hear more about your Portland, Maine experiences.