2019 NASCAR thread

relapse98

I guess since there was a 2018 one, there should be a new one for 2019, even though the 2018 thread didn't even make it to page 2.

Got notice today that my sales guy was able to get us tickets for their suite at the March 31st race at TMS.
Will be interesting now that Daniel Suarez is on a new team and see how they run their guest stuff - the team they had doing it when he was with Joe Gibbs was great. Here's me hoping that we get to do a meet and greet with Tony Stewart, although I'd take Gene Haas as a suitable replacement.

AP has an interesting story on the 2019 season. Looks like it's going to be all restrictor using the package they ran at last year's All Star race.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dont-tell-ricky-bobby-to-win-back-fans-nascar-will-be-slowing-cars-down-2019-02-04

France is overseeing the most collaborative atmosphere in NASCAR history. All stakeholders — the sanctioning body, teams, drivers, track operators and television partners — have brainstormed improvements and ideas to stop the plunge in attendance and television ratings. The solution is a new rules package aimed at markedly improving the on-track product.

The new package uses aerodynamic ducts and a tapered spacer to reduce engine horsepower — in simplest turns, it should slow the cars and bunch them closer together to increase passing attempts and improve the overall competitiveness. It will debut in the second race of the season, at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

The old package permitted a handful of teams to move so far ahead of the competition it took too long for anyone to catch them, the racing suffered and fans stopped watching. Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick and Martin Truex Jr. combined to win 20 of 36 races last season, though the “Big Three” lost to Logano in the championship finale.

The new package is controversial because it is supposed to level the playing field, and elite drivers believe it will diminish the advantage their talent has given them.

An early version of the package was used in last year’s All-Star race and fan feedback seemed genuinely enthusiastic until drivers raised enough complaints about it to muddle expectations. Until the rules were tested last week at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, few dared to predict what the racing will look like this season.

NASCAR pushed forward and the new rules are here with major implications. The health of the sport is riding on the belief that, if nothing else, the racing will be better, more drivers will win, more teams will succeed, and fans, of course, will give it a chance.

I'm running the same Surly fantasy league this year.  If you were in it last year, you should be able to get your account up and running pretty easily at https://drivergroupgame.com/dashboard/ for your personal page or at https://drivergroupgame.com/league/shaggy-pits/home/

There's been a change in the URL for the site host or something - you'll have to re-enter or otherwise re-create your profile to get set up.  It's pretty easy.  Please don't leave your setup until the last minute just in case there are tech hiccups along the way.

Same league name and password as last year.  If you've lost it (or are a newcomer) please PM me AND @Jim Krivacs and we'll get you the password and info.  I should be able to help, but I'm going to be busy as shit with work this week, which is why I've asked him to help - thanks!

Same stakes - nothing.  But with the same optional $30, winner-take-all contest.  PM me AND @Jim Krivacs and one of us will give you the PayPal info.  Please pay by the green flag at Atlanta - this gives you two weeks.

We can also give you information on a different private money league.  $20 entry per team.  I usually enter three teams.  I've won it twice in the past few years and finished in the money every other year.  Krivacs did very well last year (maybe even won?).  First place is generally between $500 and $1,000 depending on number of entries.  PM us and one of us can email you the entry form.  It's due by the start of the Daytona 500.
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 5:15 PM, RPM said:

Kyle Busch, Kevin Harvick and Martin Truex Jr. combined to win 20 of 36 races last season

Holy shit.  I had no idea.  I always watch Daytona but haven't watched anything past that in at least 3 years.  I'll try to give it a longer look this season.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:07 AM, pwinger said:

Joey takes the 2nd Duel in spectacular fashion, coming from 4th on the last lap.

And to quote Menard from Sunday  - "Jimmie does that a lot at these tracks"

Jimmie is the most overrated racer in history.   He is a driver, not a racer.   

Edited by Bill Brasky

5 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm curious to hear what you mean by that. Are you basically saying that it's just been an equipment/tactical advantage behind his success? 

Bump for the fantasy game. Hurry up and join, nerds. 

A lot of his success is because has been in the best equipment since day 1.    Also, and to his credit, he had remarkable chemistry with Chad Knaus as far as dialing in the racecar's setup goes.   It does take a great driver to be able to diagnose what a car is doing and provide the correct feedback to the team.  He and Knaus will probably go down as the greatest combo in the modern era.  My biggest knock against him is he has never been worth a shit in traffic, making great moves to pass other cars.   You can find plenty of clips of him causing the big one because he had his head up his ass.   You can't find many highlights of him making a great pass or a move that makes you say wow.  He is the ultimate front runner, getting out front due to being the fastest car or because of strategy.    

2 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

A lot of his success is because has been in the best equipment since day 1.    Also, and to his credit, he had remarkable chemistry with Chad Knaus as far as dialing in the racecar's setup goes.   It does take a great driver to be able to diagnose what a car is doing and provide the correct feedback to the team.  He and Knaus will probably go down as the greatest combo in the modern era.  My biggest knock against him is he has never been worth a shit in traffic, making great moves to pass other cars.   You can find plenty of clips of him causing the big one because he had his head up his ass.   You can't find many highlights of him making a great pass or a move that makes you say wow.  He is the ultimate front runner, getting out front due to being the fastest car or because of strategy.    

83 wins, 7 titles, just think if he could pass. 

On 2/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, Lat22 said:

I tuned in for a bit.  Half empty front stretch grandstands are still the norm.  I dont' know how NASCAR survives.

It's amazing to me how a lot of motorsports survives. You either have to get sponsor dollars which seem to be harder and harder to come by or you have to get a pay driver, which a lot of times end up being shit but pay the bills. If I added it up right, NASCAR gets 1.3 Billion/year from TV rights but that's going to pay for all the NASCAR bills alone and then some to the teams.

New package in Nascar this year, pack racing they said, no more driver out in clean air driving off they said, no follow the leader they said, same guys won't be at the top all the time they said, yea ok.

results today

1. Logano

2. Kselowski

3.Ky Busch

4.Harvick

5.Ku Busch

only difference I saw was cars going so slow the drivers weren't even lifting