2019 NASCAR thread

relapse98

On 3/3/2019 at 5:58 PM, hookem48 said:

New package in Nascar this year, pack racing they said, no more driver out in clean air driving off they said, no follow the leader they said, same guys won't be at the top all the time they said, yea ok.

results today

1. Logano

2. Kselowski

3.Ky Busch

4.Harvick

5.Ku Busch

only difference I saw was cars going so slow the drivers weren't even lifting

results today

1.Kyle Busch

2.Logano

3. Keselowski

4. Harvick

• 2 weeks later...

Filled our our hot pit pass credentials yesterday on Nascar's website. TMS - here we come.

Got the suite tickets, parking pass and schedule today.

Get visits by Daniel Suarez and the team owner... Tony Stewart. So glad my son is now 18 so he can go down with a hot pit pass.

And - we have a friend that is in love with Tony Stewart so the wife went yesterday to get some panties for him to sign for her. She is going to lose her mind.

Now - I hope that SHR has figured our some stuff with the Mustangs.

It was really dead. There are probably more people in the suites than in the seats.

I think there's a combination of issues. Most live sporting events are going down in attendance, cold windy day, Nascar has run off a percentage of the old school rednecks, cost, long fricking races, no wrecking, single-ish race line at TMS.

So - my review, which is worth what I paid.

We drove up Saturday after my son finished at a UIL contest and stayed at my aunt's house in Azle, which is about 40 minutes south west of the track.

Got up Sunday morning and got to the track. By the time we got parked (I think 6th row from the front), it was 9:58 and the gates opened at 10. Made it up to our suite and got checked in and I ended up with someone elses Hot Pass. Nascar has this whole system where you upload a picture of yourself, a copy of your license, etc. and then the hard passes, I'm fairly certain, are just given to the team and they hand write each person's name on it. Apparently they just doubled up on someone and skipped mine so the guy grabbed some hand sanitizer, sharpie off, new name on, away we go.

Breakfast and booze started the minute we got in the suite. The one thing I wished they had there was hard booze in the suites but I've been in multiples, including non team suites, and there is just beer and 2 wines. About 11am, Daniel Suarez came in and spoke with us and did pictures. He is once again one of the nicest people you could ever meet. It may all be a show (I don't think so) but I enjoy hearing him each time. We then had a little break and then went down in groups for a pit/garage tour. We did it last time so the wife decided to stay back but I took our 18 year old son on his first visit and he enjoyed it. The first Super Truck race of that day (*) was going on while we were on pit. Went back up and Tony Stewart showed up and talked and did pictures. From this point forward, Tony has 1 Nascar race he can attend and 99 other dirt track type things he is driving in. I asked the Stewart-Haas guys about Gene Haas and he was in Bahrain for that race, unfortunately. After Tony, lunch was served and then we hurried down to sign the start finish and watch the start of the race from the pit box.  My wife and son finished up the day in the suite and I bumped back and forth between our pit box and the suite. We stayed afterwards to watch the second Super Truck race and then headed home.

I enjoy the spectacle, but if I wasn't getting schmoozed in a suite with hot pit passes - I wouldn't pay. The racing is.. kinda boring. The cars are all so good now, the drivers are all so good. All the passes are either made with a slow car acting as a pick or in the pits.  I could have a good time in their stands with a cooler of booze or maybe in a RV in the infield, but it just doesn't really call to me. Overall - a good day and I'll beg the vendor again in about 18 months to do it again.

(*) Super Trucks. My wife watched the first race from the suite and said "I love Super Trucks". I was like - told you. We got to see a truck flip on the dirt ramp during warmups and 3 trucks get in various states in the first race. And then second race, wtf. We ended up with one of them not quite completing the jump, rolling down the ramp and ending up sitting on the barrier. And then while they are attending to him, everyone else is stopped, the ambulance and tow trucks are dealing with that drive, and Robby Gordon is going full speed around the track without a care in the world and we're like "He's going to stop, right". Yeah. He did the big jump and that tow truck hauled ass and at the bare minimum probably saved Robby from taking a trip to the infield care center. Apparently Robby's radio was not working so he didn't know there was a bad accident and to stop.

MotoGP in 13 days.

23 hours ago, relapse98 said:

It was really dead. There are probably more people in the suites than in the seats.

I think there's a combination of issues. Most live sporting events are going down in attendance, cold windy day, Nascar has run off a percentage of the old school rednecks, cost, long fricking races, no wrecking, single-ish race line at TMS.

they are still completely clueless as to how to get back to what made the sport so popular in the first place 

Part of the TMS Nascar story I couldn't tell because we completed our mission yet. (C&P from a posting I made somewhere else)

I may have been "That Guy" at TMS.

I sometimes get invited to a sponsor's suite. I may have found out that Tony Stewart would be visiting our suite and I may have a friend that has wanted him for ~20 years, bad. She really wants him. Has a pass from her boyfriend and all.

So, being the enterprising gentleman I am, I figured, what does one get a girl that is totally in love with Tony Stewart that I could have him perhaps autograph for her. Underwear. Wife was totally in on it and went to Walmart (sexy, I know) and bought a cute pair.

Tony shows up to the suite, I hop in line with underwear in bag and a sharpie, get up, we take our picture with him and then I say "Hey Tony, I have a friend that is totally in love with you. Do you mind signing these panties for her? Maybe with a To xxx from Tony or something?" To which, the nice gentleman replies, " I've never had a guy hand me underwear before, but sure". I made sure to show him they still had the new size tag on them and they were clean. He put them on my back and signed them. The Stewart-Haas staff in the room were cracking up over this series of events. Here was their 3 time Cup Champion boss signing some underwear for a dude. I was glad to put a smile on everyone's face.

We gave the newly autographed underwear to our friend last night and she lost it. She LOVES them. And is probably one of Maybe a handful of people on earth that have underwear signed by Tony Stewart.

56120057-10217232322911779-5879127448683

Also - one of the nicest guys. I liked listening to Joe Gibbs' stories a bit more, but they are really close together. And I think Tony said he'll be at 1 more Nascar race this year since he has 99 things he is racing at on his calendar between now and the end of the year.

Edited by relapse98

On 4/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, Lat22 said:

What is going on with DW?  I see lots of people defending him on twitter but I can't find out what he did.  Was it that AP article by Jenna Fryer that said he should retire?

Yeah, I think it was that article.  Mission accomplished I guess, because he announced his retirement today effective at the end of FOX season at Sonoma. 

I'm gonna miss him, but I'm not gonna miss him.  Depending upon his replacement, I may miss him more.

4 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

I like Jeff Gordon more as a commentator than I ever did as a driver.   DW jumped the shark years ago and turned into Roscoe P Coltrane

I feel the same way about Harvick. I loathe him as a driver/personality, but think he does a great job calling the Xfinity races. 

I can't believe that I never made the Roscoe connection before, but you're absolutely right. 

anyone?
They can start off by ditching the stupid qualifying system, the retarded race "stages," and the shitty playoff system and going back to the regular points system. Next, open back up Rockingham, give back the second race to Darlington, and scrap races in California, Kansas, Chicago, and one of the Vegas races.

16 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
2 hours ago, hookem48 said:
anyone?

They can start off by ditching the stupid qualifying system, the retarded race "stages," and the shitty playoff system and going back to the regular points system. Next, open back up Rockingham, give back the second race to Darlington, and scrap races in California, Kansas, Chicago, and one of the Vegas races.

You can change the first three things but that's not bringing fans back. Rockingham coming back and a 2nd race at Darlington would be awesome and might help some but those other tracks aren't losing their races, no way that's going to happen. What do you do to make the racing itself more exciting? 

My two cents

Tracks that could/should lose their 2nd races - Texas, Kansas, Michigan - maybe even Bristol.  Move their races to short tracks near metro areas with infrastructure that can support events. Nashville would seem to fit the bill - not sure about Rockingham, it's a 1 mile track and didn't work out for the trucks in 2013, but who knows.  Maybe another location outside of the south. Oh, and lower prices at tracks. 

NBC has a lot on it's motorsports plate and Fox seems to be more interested in cutting costs.  Maybe spread the media rights around again to get more media players that will have a stake in Nascar.

And drama....we can't ask for a better heel than Kyle Busch, we just need a face.  The only one on the roster, or at least in the pipeline, might be Christopher Bell.  He doesn't currently have a place next year at Gibbs/Toyota and he is definitely ready for Cup.  He needs to move to SHR or Penske, for the good of the sport.   

Note - maybe even Hendrick/Ganassi if Chevy can find any kind of performance.  

Anything that can stop people from asking "What's wrong with NASCAR?" will be a great first step.

tl;dr

1. More short tracks to spark fan interest

2. Media partners to pimp

3. ????

4. Profit

• 3 weeks later...

Talladega finished under caution today. I thought NASCAR changed the rules so that they would always finish under green. They took the white flag before the yellow came out so i guess the next flag, yellow or checkered, ends the race. IMO a race should never end under yellow and they should race to the end. 

Would have been nice if those morons running the Fox broadcast could have just once let the replay continue running so we could see the entire series of the 42 car flipping about a dozen times.  WTH?  He didn't die, he walked away, why the insistence on quickly cutting off all the replays?  It's like PC chicks are running the broadcast now.

Edited by clapclapclap
Forget the lawyers, first we kill the mediots.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:46 PM, clapclapclap said:

Would have been nice if those morons running the Fox broadcast could have just once let the replay continue running so we could see the entire series of the 42 car flipping about a dozen times.  WTH?  He didn't die, he walked away, why the insistence on quickly cutting off all the replays?  It's like PC chicks are running the broadcast now.

The production quality has been abysmal all year. The amount of commercials (including commercials for upcoming NASCAR broadcasts), the fact that the camera is on the wrong thing more often than not, etc., is inexcusable. 

On 4/7/2019 at 5:35 PM, hookem48 said:

what's the answer? Seriously

Part of the challenge is that people want different things.  I'd just like to get off this "status quo" of cookie-cutter, virtually identical cars, running at basically the same performance levels for the last 20-25 years. Break open the rulebook and let there be innovation and competing designs. Stop nerfing the cars so they aren't slower than they were 30 years ago. Yes, that increases risk, but if there's no risk I'm not really that interested.

Alternatively, go in the opposite direction--back to "STOCK" cars which are closely based on production cars, so that there's actually some commonality between the cars being raced on the track and what you can go buy in a showroom. Then again, the traditional car market is collapsing and even within the car market there are few race-capable RWD chassis options.

There are many reasons why neither of these directions will happen, but that's what would get me interested in the sport again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And just to put a cap on a fun day of racing......

Plenty of cautions thru out the Coke 600 but MTJ survived his early encounter with the wall to take another win. 

More of the same from Gibbs & Penske, but Hendrick and even Roush are showing signs of life.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watching the Xfinity race at Watkins Glen. NASCAR needs more road races. Hello COTA?

I'd love to see a rally race. Reno to Las Vegas would be excellent, but it's never going to happen. (along with a COTA race)

I love their tracking shot down thru the bus stop. Noice.

Edited by RPM