Live From Here (NPR; used to be PHC)

Asithappens

Chris Thile hosts this. Check him out: MacArthur Fellowship (aka Genius grant) and married to Claire Coffee (Cassie from The West Wing).

This used to be Prairie Home Companion but don't let that cloud your opinion of this very fine show.

Thile plays the mandolin. Yeah, I know. Not too sexy.

Now, all the above is all well and good, but it doesn't really make for a once-in-a-lifetime show, imo. What does make this show probably the best ever (for music/radio) is the sheer talent/genius, and mutual admiration, from and to his musical guests. I think he had Paul Simon on. Dawes. And last week Jason Isbell was on. These guys really respect each other. 

You don't have to necessarily like mandolin music (I don't) but I can't remember a venue that lets us look in on some of the very best musicians and artists in this way before. Ok, Austin City Limits, but that's about it. 

The show has its hokey bits, but musically speaking? It doesn't get any better than this. Check it out. 

• 2 weeks later...