Prayers for Derrian Brown

Machinator

10 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

What led you to the CDC connect

There's a category of poster on here that will blame any goddamn thing related to football or athletics on CDC, with or without factual basis.

See the Chris Del Conte thread.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Whether a violation of HIPAA or not, Anwar’s tweet is so unprofessional, inappropriate, and just plain wrong. If he ever had sources within the program, you have to believe he’ll be cut off going forward. Woe is a world with an even less informed Anwar, if such a thing is possible.

He will take the sportswriter's excuse by calling himself a reporter who is duty bound to report the news. They're stupid people with delusions of grandeur.

Nevermind that there's nothing time sensitive about this information and that it's arguably not even news (news would be Brown suiting up for spring workouts). 

It's also the sign of a great reporter and writer that you have to publish a second time to add "clarity." A real pro.

Anwar received this information from somewhere inside the program.

I have to say that I’m sick and tired of people in this University, whoever they are, constantly doing and saying shit that embarrasses the University. I’m sick of the incompetence. 

So some are saying CDC gave AR some information.

Others are saying it was someone on the inside.

But whatever the case may be, AR made the choice to put the information out there.

He is the responsible party. 

What Ar's profession is should not outweigh his professionalism.

Could this be a HIPAA violation?

If one has to ask that should be enough to deter any actions.

9 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Whether a violation of HIPAA or not, Anwar’s tweet is so unprofessional, inappropriate, and just plain wrong. If he ever had sources within the program, you have to believe he’ll be cut off going forward. Woe is a world with an even less informed Anwar, if such a thing is possible.

Best possible outcome is the guy was talking out his ass with bad information. If he got actual medical info and released it, there was a HIPAA violation. The reporter has no legal obligation to maintain confidentiality once he knows the information. Whoever was the custodian of the information is the one legally responsible, and that could cause problems for the entire University. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guys, it's not a HIPAA violation. The decisions that the University makes in regards to his scholarship status is not the same thing as his private medical information. Releasing his imaging to the public, discussing his specific diagnosis and treatment without his permission... Those would be HIPAA violations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm not a reporter or journalist, but if I was, I definitely would have handled this differently.  Did he bother to contact the family for clarification or comment?  Like, you know, a real reporter might?  Or did he just leak something to get the "scoop?" If I'm the University of Texas, I'd absolutely cut him off as a contact for feeding information.  This is almost a perfect example of why many people have low opinions of reporters and the media in general.     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I'm not a reporter or journalist, but if I was, I definitely would have handled this differently.  Did he bother to contact the family for clarification or comment?  Like, you know, a real reporter might?  Or did he just leak something to get the "scoop?" If I'm the University of Texas, I'd absolutely cut him off as a contact for feeding information.  This is almost a perfect example of why many people have low opinions of reporters and the media in general.     

I have been a reporter / journalist. While this a major fuck up, it's not that big a deal, really.

Issue a correction, apologize to Brown, and move on. It's not like he revealed some hitherto unknown medical condition or something like that. Looks like he got some bad information and like an idiot ran to the web with it. In my fantasy newsroom where labor laws did not apply, I'd suspend Anwar two weeks for something like that. Pull something like that more than once, and you'd be gone.

The thing I don't get is it's not even an important scoop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, Dbeasy said:

Anwar received this information from somewhere inside the program.

I have to say that I’m sick and tired of people in this University, whoever they are, constantly doing and saying shit that embarrasses the University. I’m sick of the incompetence. 

Our 9.95ers need to be sat down and put in check for their reckless recruiting. If they refuse then the university should disassociate from them. It gets tiresome of the shit they put out hurting the school/program. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:43 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I have been a reporter / journalist. While this a major fuck up, it's not that big a deal, really.

Issue a correction, apologize to Brown, and move on. It's not like he revealed some hitherto unknown medical condition or something like that. Looks like he got some bad information and like an idiot ran to the web with it. In my fantasy newsroom where labor laws did not apply, I'd suspend Anwar two weeks for something like that. Pull something like that more than once, and you'd be gone.

The thing I don't get is it's not even an important scoop. 

You’re a pretty darn tough boss. 

• 2 months later...

Man, Leitao is a major success story for our program that nobody else will even know about.  He came very close to not even going to college.  Now he's going to med school after three and a half years of Division I Football.  Amazing!

Edited by bejezuz
  • Hook 'Em 1