Prayers for Derrian Brown (UPDATE: Transfer Portal)

Machinator

https://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/sports/buford-football-star-brown-hospitalized-after-apparent-seizure/article_79c12d40-1861-5734-a2ce-6f22168c7236.html

One of Gwinnett County’s top high school football players was hospitalized Thursday with a serious medical condition.

Buford senior running back, and Daily Post Offensive Player of the Year, Derrian Brown suffered an apparent seizure while at school early Thursday morning and was transported to a local hospital, sources close to his family told the Daily Post.

Neither recently-named Buford head coach Bryant Appling nor athletics directory Tony Wolfe could be reached for comment.

However, Buford principal Ed Shaddix issued a statement Thursday evening via Twitter that read, “As many of you have heard, one of our students, Derrian Brown, has been hospitalized following a medical situation. At this time, Derrian’s family has asked for there to be no visitors at the hospital, as there is no room and Derrian needs to focus on his recovery. Please keep Derrien and his family in your thoughts and prayers. We will update you on his condition as it is appropriate. Thanks for your support.”

Brown had a big senior season in 2018, running for a Gwinnett-best 1,908 yards and 28 touchdowns on 246 carries, caught 10 passes for 162 yards and a TD and returned 11 kickoffs for 196 yards and two punts for 94 yards, including a touchdown in helping the Wolves to another Region 8-AAAAA championship and a berth in the Class AAAAA state quarterfinals last fall.

That effort not only earned him the Daily Post’s Offensive Player of the Year honors, plus a spot on the recently-released Georgia Sports Writers Association first team All-State from Class AAAAA, but also a scholarship to play at the University of Texas.

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Bigger things in Life than football. Hope he recovers 200% and takes it easy for a while, if not longer 

He'll have a scholarship to UT whether he ever is even fitted for pads or not.

This is scary, especially for someone who is so young AND who plays (has played) a contact sport. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, but even if he can't play football again, hopefully he recovers enough to live a long life with full mental faculties.

• Like 1

I'm no doctor, but I do have a law degree, and I believe that typical treatment includes daily handjobs from the nurses. 
Handjob? Really? Just a handjob? Come on.

Prayers for ya young man. Get well, come to The University and enjoy a fine education and much more than handjobs.

• Machinator changed the title to Prayers for Derrian Brown (GoFundMe link posted)
5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Fuck the NCAA and it's ridiculous notions of amateurism. This bullshit is beyond fucking stupid. 

Well...obviously that can be seriously abused. So no I don't think it is even remotely stupid to at least think about it, but I doubt they block it in this particular instance. And it makes me glad that our compliance people are doing their due diligence.

11 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Fuck the NCAA and it's ridiculous notions of amateurism. This bullshit is beyond fucking stupid. 

The let us donate to AJ1 so I don't see this any differently. It's not like they are raising funds for a mortgage, rent, or a new car.  csb: a couple of years ago I went to the hospital after a car crash.  I was there for about 2 hours and it cost $13.5k of which I paid $2k out of pocket.  I can only imagine what an overnight stay cost.    

• immamac changed the title to Prayers for Derrian Brown (UPDATE: Transfer Portal)
  • immamac featured and pinned this topic
  • immamac unpinned and unfeatured this topic