Prayers for Derrian Brown

Machinator

On 1/31/2019 at 7:30 PM, Machinator said:

Didnt read the whole thread so this may have already been covered: but gofundme might put his eligibility in jeopardy (NCAA tried to revoke eligibility of a lesbian track athlete last year at a small school when her parents disowned her and her friends started a gofundme to help her pay her bills). 

40 minutes ago, hornian said:

Didnt read the whole thread so this may have already been covered: but gofundme might put his eligibility in jeopardy (NCAA tried to revoke eligibility of a lesbian track athlete last year at a small school when her parents disowned her and her friends started a gofundme to help her pay her bills). 

UT Compliance is working with the NCAA on it. There's no way they'll pull it with this much momentum behind it.

Here is the last update from about 10pm last night:
Update: Derrian is doing very good tonight. He made his momma so happy, I walked into his room to say goodnight and he was raising his arm, and leg. And those BIG!!! bright eyes was looking at me.emoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.png just made my night!!! I love you DB#3 #DerrianStrong

GoFundMe is now past $35K.

• Like 1

What a punch to the gut.

Dude, don't matter if you ever play a down here, you're a Longhorn and forever part of the family.

Now, that said, kick its ass and get to Austin for some BBQ rehab.  Get that brisket fat in your system and loosen things up a bit.

• Like 3

From the recruiting board:

Update from this afternoon:
Derrian continues to fight like the champ he is. His swelling looks better today. Still following commands. He is even blinking once for yes and twice for no!! They will do a procedure in the morning to check his heart out thoroughly. So prayers that all goes well with that!!

Edited by texifornia

Morning update:

Good morning, update on Derrian, he had a good night, swelling went down alot from surgery they will be removing his chest tube today along with trying to decide on removing the tube from his mouth. The test on his heart isn't showing anymore than what we was told about it which is a GREAT THING. He has those BIG bright eyes open and watching every move. Continue to pour on thoses prayers. #DB3 STRONG

• Like 1

Another update for today:
Update! Chest tube is out! Swelling is going down, he is mostly breathing on his own right now. The machine is set to only breath for him if he doesn't do it himself. But so far he is doing it! Praise God! #DB3 Strong!!!

Morning update:
Good morning, for two days Derrian has been breathing mostly on his own, today the said that today they will come down and check the air around the vent to make sure air is coming around it so that they can take him off so if not today definitely tomorrow.

Added:
So newest update.... sorry for the pause he pasted the test and in the next half hour they will remove the vent, so let pray really hard that everything goes well and they won't have to put it back in. I LOVE ALL OF YOU AND DERRIAN DOES TOO. THANK YA'LL SO MUCH

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 8:30 PM, Machinator said:

Bump

Link to the GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/derrian-brown-and-family

On link this update......

36739470_1549050746580727_r.jpeg

Derrian Brown and Family

$57,064 of $80,000 goal

This fundraising site has been reviewed and approved by the University of Texas in partnership with the NCAA. Donations made through this site will directly support Derrian Brown’s medical expenses. The University of Texas fans, donors and staff are permitted to contribute. Funds raised are subject to specific parameters to ensure NCAA compliance and Derrian’s family will work closely with The University of Texas to ensure such compliance. Please contact the Texas Athletics Risk Management and Compliance Services office at 
512-471-8193 or compliance@athletics.utexas.edu should you have any questions about NCAA rules as it relates to this fundraiser. Thank you in advance for your support and contribution. 

Jenna LeClere | Director, Risk Management and Compliance Services | 

[Description: Longhorn logo] Winning with Integrity ™
Help spread the word!
Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

Update:

Good morning, sorry for not posting in the last couple of days, it's been crazy and blessing happening back to back. Well for those who don't know Derrian started talking the day after he started walking. They have now moved him from ICU to a regular room. Keep the prays coming we still have a long road ahead, the God I serve is powerful than an man. And Derrian is showing that he is showing up and showing out. Tuesday or Thursday he will be going to a rehab center if everything continues to stay in good standing. I and my family can't THANK YOU ALL enough for your love, blessing and prays. WE LOVE YA'LL 💚💛🧡🤘🏾

• Like 1

• immamac featured and pinned this topic
32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Update:  Good morning, sorry for not posting in the last couple of days, it's been crazy and blessing happening back to back. Well for those who don't know Derrian started talking the day after he started walking. They have now moved him from ICU to a regular room. Keep the prays coming we still have a long road ahead, the God I serve is powerful than an man. And Derrian is showing that he is showing up and showing out. Tuesday or Thursday he will be going to a rehab center if everything continues to stay in good standing. I and my family can't THANK YOU ALL enough for your love, blessing and prays. WE LOVE YA'LL 💚💛🧡🤘🏾

Great News...... Thanks

Prayers DB 🙏🙏🙏

Lunchtime update:

Okay, updated The neurologist just came by and at the doctor's request they don't want any visitors for a couple days. He needs to rest. The weekend activities was wonderful for Derrian, but we think it has overwhelmed him. I just updated but the neurologist came and said he need rest. Thank you for being understanding.

Edited by Machinator

50 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Amazing progress, from what it sounds like. Almost equally amazing is that nobody has mentioned the cause.

To the local doctors, is it a reasonable conclusion that they may not actually know at this point? Or in other words, how likely is it that there still isn’t any diagnosis of the cause?

I don't think anything regarding a cause will ever be publicized. There is always a chance some previously undiagnosed condition like sickle cell will turn out to be the culprit.

edit in answer to your question, good chance the treating physicians have no idea.

Edited by Magus Ossis

10 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

I don't think anything regarding a cause will ever be publicized. There is always a chance some previously undiagnosed condition like sickle cell will turn out to be the culprit.

edit in answer to your question, good chance the treating physicians have no idea.

You mean to tell me that the Mayo Clinic-equivalent doctors in Burford, Georgia, don't have a clue? 

• Fuck You 1

On 2/13/2019 at 4:08 PM, Vito Andolini said:

I was curious about what sort of medical center he was taken to as well, but he’s apparently in Atlanta, so he should be ok.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Top. Men.

Even at academic and other major referral hospitals, the day-to-day management of patients is frequently quarterbacked by hospitalists-- internal medicine ("generic adult") physicians who are the "attending of record." Texas law has historically forbidden hospitals to employ doctors, thus hopefully preserving some of the dignity and autonomy needed to attract providers willing and able to know and insist on what is best for the patient. Piecemeal exceptions to this law have been slipped through the state legislature, and even Parkland (an anchor hospital for the prestigious UT Southwestern Medical School) now allows non-faculty, hospital-employed staff. Making matters worse is that many aspects of care you would assume need a physician (patients in ICUs, etc) are often managed not even by an employee-doctor, but by a nurse practitioner. I am perfectly happy to extend the benefit of the doubt to the team taking care of Derrian, but chains are only as strong as their weakest links. A brilliant neurosurgeon's work can be ruined by a mediocre hospitalist. The fact that he is in Atlanta, sadly, does not mean that he has a team of actual, qualified, independently thinking, caring physicians, or even a doctor functioning as the day-to-day QB. Nurse practitioners are generally good at easy things, and often know when what they are facing is/isn't easy. Whether a hospital has a strong and independent medical staff with actual doctors running most of the care matters a lot more than being in a big hospital or a big city.

tldr. With all that said, The between-the-lines info coming out seems to suggest that Derrian's care has been good.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

tldr. With all that said, The between-the-lines info coming out seems to suggest that Derrian's care has been good.

He's alive. He seems to be recovering much better than expected. The fact that we (apparently) have no idea - yet - what was wrong in the first place means diddle e squat.

• Machinator changed the title to Prayers for Derrian Brown
  • immamac unpinned and unfeatured this topic