Star Trek Discovery: Season 2 - It Got Good. Real Good. (Ep 1 inside)

atomheartbevo

5 hours ago, Sleep off ugly said:

No kidding man, just watched the first ep and it was great 

Spoiler

If they had started season one with this episode, and with Pike as the captain, I would have subbed from the start    Still things that bug me about the series as a whole, but the first episode of this season felt a lot different   

Atom, as far as the spoiler tag info- 100%. Also Michael is getting to be a full badass.

Drew, I disagree a bit. It’s been a while but I liked first few eps of season 1 and yeah I agree the last few rocked.

I’m sure my opinion is really important 

Edited by Sleep off ugly
Thanks

Do you have 50 minutes to wade through rights and designs and why Discovery is different?

Bla bla bla bla bla. Irl shit matters not. Since Mirror Mirror (tos s2e4) all alternate universes are canon in the minds of science fiction savvy trekkers. STD (tee hee hee) is weaving itself into the tos universe with its references and actions real sci fi style.

Bty because of an episode of the animated series Trek actually exists in Niven's Known Space Universe and all events in all Trek universes and timelines are controlled by Puppeteers anyway. I for one am waiting for the Kzin to show up on Disco and kick some Klingon ass.

Ps. There is a new Man-Kzin Wars book just published. Book 15 of the series.

13 hours ago, kevwun said:

Does netflix or amazon have season 1?

And/or wait until the mid season break, use your free trial, binge all of season 1 and first half of 2. 

I liked Trek but I’ll wait and binge season 2’s first half at the break to avoid paying

• 3 weeks later...

OMG that was a hell of an episode.  Old School Trekkies, even the ones who hate Discovery, should love this episode.  Spooky how they transitioned from the Cage/Menagerie scenes to current ones and how much the new Pike looks like the old Pike.  Really good call back.  Loving this season so damn much.

Putting something in a spoiler because I think this is how this season/show ends:

I think the Red Angel is obviously Michael Burnham.  Just seems like a tidy way to end her role in this timeline to prevent even a mention of her on future shows like TOS and TNG with Spock. 

• Like 1

People are raving about Anson Mount’s Pike.  I’m in that camp.  Somebody said, if the show runners are sticking to at least some canon, that we have about 5-6 years before Pike ends up in The Chair.  That gives us at least a chance at a Pike/Enterprise season or series.  I would have been hesitant at that thought in the past (too many remakes/reboots), but now I want it   

Also, those of you who haven’t watched it yet, go watch Cage/Menagerie first.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If they bring Daniels and the Temporal Cold War into this, shit will be dialed up to 11.  It is feeling like they might be willing to do so.  

Hadn't even thought of that...but shit that would turn all this on it's head.

And Yeah, Anson Mount has been a surprise of this show so far to me.  I wouldn't care if they spun off his own show with what he does on the Enterprise before Kirk or just keep Discovery with him for another season or 2...he's quickly adding his name to the likes of Kirk and Picard for me.

OMG that was a hell of an episode.  Old School Trekkies, even the ones who hate Discovery, should love this episode.  Spooky how they transitioned from the Cage/Menagerie scenes to current ones and how much the new Pike looks like the old Pike.  Really good call back.  Loving this season so damn much.

Putting something in a spoiler because I think this is how this season/show ends:

I think the Red Angel is obviously Michael Burnham.  Just seems like a tidy way to end her role in this timeline to prevent even a mention of her on future shows like TOS and TNG with Spock. 

Trekkies?

Oh please.

Trekers not trekkies. Idoit.

If they bring Daniels and the Temporal Cold War into this, shit will be dialed up to 11.  It is feeling like they might be willing to do so.  
The folks doing Discovery seem to be hard core Trekers. I like the fact that they are sprinkling in references to TOS and Enterprise in canon. Cant wait for The Animated series references. Looking forward to seeing a live action Kzin.

And The Red Angel? He is Sam Beckett.

Love ya Phlegm, but no.  Been a Trekkie my whole life.  Think I'd know.
So you are a wanker.

Trekkies is an insult. A grave insult. Trekkies love Wesley Crusher and Dr Pulaski and as such are lower than a denebian slime devil.

Trekkies are drinkers of sthondat piss.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Hadn't even thought of that...but shit that would turn all this on it's head.

And Yeah, Anson Mount has been a surprise of this show so far to me.  I wouldn't care if they spun off his own show with what he does on the Enterprise before Kirk or just keep Discovery with him for another season or 2...he's quickly adding his name to the likes of Kirk and Picard for me.

I think it was Kurtzman who said they would be synced up with original canon by the end of season 2.  

And there are theories that Enterprise has its own timeline due to First Contact.  

And they could tie into the whole “Talos IV = death penalty” (something that always felt a little out of place with the Federation).

It would be a helluva way to make up for the abomination that was the Enterprise finale, and it would build upon, and could wrap up the time war stuff that was never fully resolved in Enterprise.  

More importantly, it could move firmly away from alien-of-the-week and make the series must-watch/binge-worthy rather than “ehhh..I’ll catch up on it this summer”. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Damnit.

http://www.treknews.net/2019/03/20/anson-mount-rebecca-romijn-not-returning-for-star-trek-discovery-season-3/

Anson Mount, who joined the cast of Star Trek: Discovery last year, is set to depart at the culmination of the series’ second season.

Mount, who plays Captain Christopher Pike, has been a standout and a focus of season two, has a strict one-year deal, according to a report on Deadline. Fellow series star, Rebecca Romijn, who plays Number One, is also set to leave following the season two finale later this year.

In January, Mount joked about being unemployed on Twitter, after season two filming had wrapped in Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, Drew said:

Yeah I hope they listen to the fans and greenlight that...I could watch Pike for a season or two at least.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/04/21/star-trek-discovery-captain-pike-spinoff-alex-kurtzman/

Alex Kurtzman, the producer overseeing CBS’s Star Trek television franchises, tells The Hollywood Reporterthat the fans have been heard and he’s not ruling out the possibility of a spinoff.

“The fans have been heard,” Kurtzman says. “Anything is possible in the world of Trek. I would love to bring back that crew more than anything. It was a huge risk for us. One of the most gratifying things is to see how deeply the fans have embraced Pike, Spock, Number One and the Enterprise. The idea of getting to tell more stories with them would be a delight for all of us.”

Mount himself responded to the fan outcry for a spinoff. "I am humbled and deeply touched by this amount of love," Mount wrote on Facebook. "I have NEVER received such gratitude. Please know that my own gratitude at having been given the opportunity to walk in Captain Pike’s boots is equaled only by that which I feel for the Trek family’s devotion. Seriously, thank you from the bottom of my heart."

• Like 1

The only criticism I can offer is this show shouldn't be a prequel.  Instead make it a sequel, set 25 years after TNG.  They wouldn't be hamstrung by a need to tie into plotlines from the shows taking place in the future, and would allow for cameos from the good actors in those shows (ie, Stewart, Spiner, Brooks and Wheaton).  Seems to me they chickened out on their attempt at making this show and are now kinda trapped in the fact it's so good.

On 4/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, Drew said:

Yeah I hope they listen to the fans and greenlight that...I could watch Pike for a season or two at least.

Yeah, they had me fill out a survey a while back, and that was my exact suggestion. My words were something similar to atom's. I don't really care one way or the other for the Discovery crew, I did dig the Pike and Enterprise people though.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Is season 2 officially over so I can pay for a month of this stupid streaming service and binge it? 

I just got an email recently about 1 month free...I'd wait until you get that.  But otherwise one month to binge isn't bad.  Make sure you watch the Short Treks first.  Every one of them leads into an episode or fleshes an episode out at least.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are giving us Pike and Co.

For six shorts.

Here’s hoping this is a trial run for a Pike/Enterprise spinoff.

Yeah, as someone who was like "WTF are these Short Treks' about anyways" I'm so glad I watched them. 

I'm definitely in for these.

• 2 months later...

Just finished season 2 last night, it was so good. Unfortunately I did not know to watch the shorts between season 1 and 2 and it would have helped some (but not required). 

The only criticism I can offer is this show shouldn't be a prequel.  Instead make it a sequel, set 25 years after TNG.  They wouldn't be hamstrung by a need to tie into plotlines from the shows taking place in the future,

I assume that is what they are going to do with season 3 based on how they left it. 

I would assume too...at least I hope.

They've never really explored the future past TNG(except for a few 1 off episodes), so freeing themselves from the constraints of the known universe will help.

Still want that Pike series.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Still want that Pike series.

We are sorta getting that with the three Star Trek Shorts episodes.  I'm hoping that since they are standalone Enterprise-based series, that they will do incredibly well and get turned into a full spin-off.

Shit, it can't be any riskier than anything else they are doing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/star-trek-pike.html

Exclusive: Captain Pike And The Enterprise To Be Star Trek’s Next Show

By LIANA KEANE | 10 HOURS AGO

Last week ViacomCBS announced that there are two more Star Trek TV shows in the works.  That’s two more in ADDITION to Star Trek: Picard and Star Trek: Discovery. That’s also in addition to the upcoming Star Trek: Section 31 (or whatever the end up calling the Section 31 show with Michelle Yeoh), the upcoming animated series Star Trek: Lower Decks, and the upcoming untitled Trek series on Nickelodeon. 

What they didn’t tell us in that announcement is what those two new shows will be about.  So we went to work digging up old contacts and harrassing new ones trying to find out. Eventually we hit paydirt.

We’ve heard from two different sources now that one of those two shows will likely be about Captain Pike and the crew of his NCC-1701 Enterprise.  The series will follow Captain Christopher Pike and his crew as they take the Enterprise out on a new five-year mission to explore strange new worlds.

For those less familiar with Star Trek lore, Captain Kirk was never the first Captain of the NCC-1701 Enterprise. There were actually two before him: Robert April was the ship’s first captain, Christopher Pike was her second captain, and James T. Kirk was her third and final master.

Pike was first seen on screen in the unaired pilot for the original Star Trek. The studio wasn’t happy with that pilot, so Gene Roddenberry recast and came up with Captain Kirk. But Pike continued on as part of Trek canon and recently resurfaced on Star Trek: Discovery as a major part of the show in season 2.

Recently Anson Mount played Captain Pike on Star Trek: Discovery and the actor struck a chord with fans in the role. After one season the Discovery’s story has moved in a different direction. That leaves Captain Pike and his crew aboard the Enterprise in a completely different time period. With the Pike character free to move away from Discovery, Trek fans have clamored for a spinoff. CBS heard what fans wanted and now at last they’re working on giving it to them.

Alex Kurtzman, the man currently in charge of Trek at CBS has in the past confirmed that when it comes to Pike and the Enterprise, CBS is listening. He told THR: “The fans have been heard”.

In the past Mount has been very open to the idea of returning. When asked if he’d do a Captain Pike show at Star Trek Las Vegas he said, “Obviously, it’s something I would love to do. It was never on my bucket list because I never thought it is something that could be on my bucket list. It would be wonderful. I love the franchise. I love these people.”

Both our sources were emphatic that this isn’t a done deal yet. CBS has several different options they’re considering turning into one of these two new Star Trek series’. The Captain Pike show is just their frontrunner right now. Whether the Pike and the Enterprise series happens depends on a lot of things. In particular it depends on whether they can get Anson Mount back as Pike. 

CBS also hopes to get Rebecca Romijn back as Number one and Ethan Peck back as Spock, but they might be willing to consider recasting those roles if they have to.  What they must have is Anson Mount as Pike. If they don’t have him there is no show at all.

Ethan Peck has sounded up for the job in the past. When asked about playing Spock again by TV Guide he said, “I would like to come back, because being a part of Star Trek is like magic. It’s funny, I think Star Trek is so divisive amongst people in the world that are like, “Never seen it, not interested.” And those that do see it are very attached and find themselves very connected with it. To be a part of something like that is just really special. Now I feel like I’ve done a lot of the groundwork and Spock is very much a part of me. I’m the same but different having finished it. So would I like to continue? Yeah. I think it would be great.”

Last we heard Anson Mount’s contract with CBS was done, so they’ll have to do some renegotiating to bring him into the fold. That said, Mount doesn’t currently have a lot of other commitments and our sources are pretty confident that when all is said and done, Captain Pike and the Enterprise will end up being one of the two new Star Trek shows CBS will produce.

Edited by MillerEP