Greta van Fleet

crash_davis

On 2/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, Deej said:

I think Plant is wrong about them being Zepellin I. They are more 72-75 Zep. Somewhere between IV and Physical Graffiti. They have nothing on the heaviness and bluesy-ness that was I.

Yeah I think this riff sound a lot like The Rover, but the opening wail is Whole Lotta Love. They should have stuck with this look too, copying the 70s look doesn't do them any favors.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, DougO said:

Nirvana and Pearl Jam were  the wave that started killing it.

That's the point where the record business decided everything had to sound like that.

What the fuck?  Then where did that go?  There's no one who sounds like Nirvana and Pearl Jam any more.

Because that would actually be good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

What the fuck?  Then where did that go?  There's no one who sounds like Nirvana and Pearl Jam any more.

Because that would actually be good. 

Well, most artists aren't very creative.  They can ape something they like, but rarely does the result convey any of the spark that made the original great.  So, we got Bush and Creed and the like.  Silverchair was a little closer to the gold standard.  Stone Temple Pilots actually predated all those bands in their earliest incarnation, but the grunge aspect was clearly brought on later.  Fortunately, they were pretty creative on their own and managed to release some good stuff.

On 2/14/2019 at 4:31 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Well, most artists aren't very creative.  They can ape something they like, but rarely does the result convey any of the spark that made the original great.  So, we got Bush and Creed and the like.  Silverchair was a little closer to the gold standard.  Stone Temple Pilots actually predated all those bands in their earliest incarnation, but the grunge aspect was clearly brought on later.  Fortunately, they were pretty creative on their own and managed to release some good stuff.

Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. Alice In Chains started out full-on glam. Pantera started out full-on hair. Nirvana and Pearl Jam borrowed from The Melvins and Mother Love Bone. So?

• 3 years later...
54 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Caught them at Bottle Rock in May and really enjoyed it. Yeah they are derivative but so was LZ, and the world needs more rock bands.

I like this track by a similar band:

Zep wasn't really derivative. They took blues songs and took them to a new level. Greta Van Fleet takes Zeppelin songs and turns them into Zeppelin songs. 

If this was the 80s, they'd be Kingdom Come. 

Edited by Deej

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Zep wasn't really derivative. They took blues songs and took them to a new level. Greta Van Fleet takes Zeppelin songs and turns them into Zeppelin songs. 

If this was the 80s, they'd be Kingdom Come. 

And if in the early 2000s, Wolfmother