Best American Songwriter?

Asithappens

2 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

On the song Southern Accents, Petty said that when he was in Europe (France or Italy...can't remember) a fan told him how much that song meant to him.  Petty asked if the guy had lived in the US.  He said no....lived her all my life.  The people in the northern part of the country thing all of the people in the southern part or stupid, backwards trash.    

It's almost universal.

"High and fine literature is wine, and mine is only water; but everyone likes water."  

--Attributed to Mark Twain, though as I get older I trust these attributions less and less and always think things might be apocryphal.  

Anyway, maybe there's a Petty/Springsteen analogy in there.  It would be an imperfect analogy, because Springsteen definitely wrote stuff that's immediately accessible just like Petty wrote stuff that's layered.  

Edited by Paul Wesley
That was supposed to be a reply to Hulla

3 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

"High and fine literature is wine, and mine is only water; but everyone likes water."  

--Attributed to Mark Twain, though as I get older I trust these attributions less and less and always think things might be apocryphal.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2023 at 5:20 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

No need to make it a Springsteen v Petty argument. They're both masters of their craft & we're lucky to have both of their catalogs to enjoy.

No need to argue because Randy Newman is the correct answer.

After a while of reading this thread and thinking about it, that's the hill I'll die on.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, hullabelew said:

This song from Mojo.......when I heard it live, I thought it was some lost Zeppelin song.  Campbell played a Les Paul and it fucking ROCKED.

Unless Campbell’s SG was made between late 1960 and late 1963, it is a “Gibson SG”.

Even if it is from that time period, most people would call it an @SG” rather than a “Les Paul”.

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Unless Campbell’s SG was made between late 1960 and late 1963, it is a “Gibson SG”.

Even if it is from that time period, most people would call it an @SG” rather than a “Les Paul”.

I get that he's playing an SG in the video, but the "Mojo" guitar that was the centerpiece of the album is a 1959 Burst.

And based on the rest of his collection, I'd bet that guitar in the video is a 1961 SG Les Paul Special. 

image.jpg?id=25777773&width=591&quality=

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Johnny Mercer wrote many lyrics to Mancini’s music. Days of Wine and Roses. Moon River. I guess we can’t really call a “team” a writer. Some fantastic songs, none the less. One of the first riffs I learned on guitar was the Peter Gunn riff. I thought I was a badass. 

I'm kind of a sucker for big band and post-big band and Johnny Mercer was the king.

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Did Garfunkel contribute to the writing or was it all Simon?

Not much, by most accounts.  I think he considered himself a "poet" but Simon wrote most of the lyrics (and pretty much all the music).  I think Garfunkel did some arranging for the duo, but that would fall more under a producer/arranger role.