The 50 Best Sports Movies of All Time

Hagbard Celine

On 2/3/2019 at 2:00 PM, tantric superman said:

Eight Men Out about 30 spots too low, but didn't find  a scan of the list too shocking.

In a thread with a lot of bad opinions and unnecessary hyperbole, this is a very accurate comment. Eight Men Out is criminally overlooked on most lists I've seen that rate sports movies.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:25 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

This right here ^^^^^^^^^

Raging Bull is not only the greatest sports movie ever made but one of the best movies period in my opinion.

De Niro's finest performance.

Watched it a couple weeks ago.  Everybody is great in that, and yeah its among Hollywoods best work ever, and in B&W to boot.

Lamattas  wife was a smoking piece of ass. I remember she did a Playboy spread after the release at 51 years old.  She was airbrushed, but still hot as hell.  Always had a stiffy for the actress who played her as well.

Where the fuck is Rollerball? (The original. motherfucker invented a new sport ferchristssake)

And M.A.S.H. (football, golf)

And Animal House (golf)

And Horsefeathers (college football)

And H.O.T.S. (football)

And Strange Brew (hockey, watersports)

And The Great Escape (Hide and go seek)

And Some Like It Hot (Hide and go seek)

And Rolling Thunder (the William Devane one. Extreme manicuring, Hunting)

And A Fistful of Yen (best Karate/Martial arts movie evah. Karate kid is ass my dude.)

And we've never been licked (competition sheep coitus)

And Apocalypse Now (surfing)

And Bullitt (street racing)

Jesus fucking shit dicks.

• 1 year later...

Not a sports movie, but funny SI write-up on a great sport scene in a movie that's worth a read...

One of the Greatest Sports Scenes in Movie History Came in a Non-Sports Movie: TRAINA THOUGHTS

JIMMY TRAINA.  APR 28, 2020

1. During this time with no sports, you're going to see lists and bracket tournaments to determine the greatest sports movie of all time (even though every website and blog has done this a million times already).

The usual cast of characters will be debated: Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Hoosiers, blah, blah, blah.

However, one of—if not the greatest—sports scenes in movie history came in a non-sports movie: Swingers.

I recently watched the 1996 classic during a quarantined Saturday afternoon and was reminded of how perfect the NHL '93 scene was from start to finish. Allow me to break down all the ways this scene beautifully captured the way a game between two friends would go down in real life: 

• Friends arguing over which team they chose to play with. This always happened when you played NHL '93 with your buddies.

• Constant, never-ending trash talk. Always a staple when you played NHL '93. There was no point in playing if there wasn't going to be trash talk.

• One friend annoying another by doing play-by-play. (This was always my speciality.)

• The guy who scores a goal taunting his opponent by making him watch an instant replay. Classic move.

• Relentless bickering.

• Discussion about how much it sucked that the makers of the game got rid of fighting.

• Unpausing the game on the sneak after your opponent paused the action.

Of course, the highlight of the scene was Vince Vaughn's character vowing to make Wayne Gretzky's head bleed and dropping the lines, "There it is, Mikey, check it out. His head's bleeding. Mikey, check it out. Little Wayne's legs are shaking all over."

I will put this scene up against any scene in any sports movie ever as the greatest of all time because there has never been a sports scene more realistic than this one.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/04/28/swingers-nhl-94-wayne-gretzky-scene

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1