Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?

TexArcher

Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't really care

The Vols are #1 in the country and look like a very legit contender to win the whole thing.

Are you rooting for Barnes?  Does it piss you off that we let him go, or maybe that he let our program go downhill then did his best coaching elsewhere?  Etc...

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

I'm definitely rooting for him to do well, knock off the likes of Duke, Kentucky, and go far in the tourney.

If they win it all though, we as Texas fans will never hear the end of it for firing Barnes, no matter how justified it seemed at the time. I'm not sure I'm ready for that after our football and baseball programs have just now pulled themselves out of tailspins and are no longer targets of national derision.

Absolutely rooting for the Vols. Not really pissed we let Rick go so much as I am pissed that we apparently didn't even vet the candidate who we replaced him with. The program needed a reboot at the time, and a large majority of our fans (people who were college aged or younger in the late 90's/early 2000's) are just now starting to realize how good we had it under Barnes for a decade+, and that success like that isn't a given at Texas. Rick made them think that winning 20+ games and going to the tourney every year was a given at Texas. 

• Like 7

Good thread. Surprised but pleased to see so many positive responses.

Happy to see Barnes doing well and would love to see him make another Final Four. Would be a tad bittersweet, as I so very fondly remember his best teams from the 2000s, such as T.J. beating Hollis Price and OU in their house in 2003, a group of role players almost winning the Big 12 the following year (and robbed of a birth in the Elite Eight!), Durant going into multiple overtimes in a losing effort against Okie Lite, Damion James slapping the shit out of A.J.'s ass in the waning moments of a gritty win over aggy that same year during the heyday of our rivalry with BCG, and D.J. and the gang getting the best of a stacked UCLA squad (featuring Westbrook, Love, and Mbah a Moute!) at Pauley in 2008 ...

Fuck me ... we've been mediocre for too long.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

Absolutely. Things got stale with him here, but I don't know how Texas fans and alums wouldn't wish the best for him. I was a senior our final four year, when you actually had to wait for hours before big games to get the good student seats. I appreciate all that he did here.

There's a huge disconnect in this fan base when dealing with Mack and Rick. Mack gave us VY. Rick gave us TJ and KD. Not only should you respect and appreciate what they did here, you might want to consider the fact that Vince *loves* Mack Brown; KD loves Rick; TJ considers Barnes a father figure and idol.

Do the people who hate and bash and incessantly slander these two coaches have any idea what TJ or VY or KD would say if they heard you? They'd think you were dumbest fucking Texas fan of all time, and an embarrassment to the school. The guy gave you your most cherished memories as a student/alum/fan, and brought unparalleled success to the program (in the case of Barnes) and because he fell off a little bit after a decade of dominance you actively hate and disparage the man. How our fans can reconcile being fanatical about TJ and VY while also hating Rick and Mack, their mentors and father figures, is beyond me. 

Edited by Goo Punch

11 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

no.

i'm not really rooting against him, but i'm not rooting for him either.  i'd rather see gonzaga finally break through and win it than i would tennessee.

This is me.

If they win, yay!.  Not Kentucky/Kansas/Duke/UNC winning it would be awesome.

If they don't, ok oh well, doesn't affect my life.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Agreed. I’ll never understand the Mack hate. I don’t see as much hate for Barnes, but I know it’s there. Both are utterly ridiculous. 

mack spent his last 4 seasons phoning it it and warring with the fans.  thanks to the former, we were rewarded with 8 years in the wilderness that we are just now coming back from.  combine that with the latter, and he lost a lot of the goodwill he had with the fanbase.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Agreed. I’ll never understand the Mack hate. I don’t see as much hate for Barnes, but I know it’s there. Both are utterly ridiculous. 

Besides phoning it in for 4 years?

Telling committed recruits he would help them finding landing spots on his way out the door?

Hiding in Florida "killing himself recruiting" instead of having a man-to-man discussion about his future at Texas?

I have no ill will towards Rick.  He set a high standard and then failed to live up to it.  Nothing his last 3 or 4 years looked like he could replicate the Final Four/Elite Eight runs he made in the mid-00s and the none and done/failing to get out of the first weekend of the tournament wasn't the standard. 

I'm glad he re-invented himself at Tennessee.  Kudos to a coach learning to change.  But he wasn't doing so at Texas and he had to go.  We made a bad replacement hire (fuck you Stevie P) and we will try again either after this year or next. 

• Like 1

There's a huge disconnect in this fan base when dealing with Mack and Rick. Mack gave us VY. Rick gave us TJ and KD. Not only should you respect and appreciate what they did here, you might want to consider the fact that Vince *loves* Mack Brown; KD loves Rick; TJ considers Barnes a father figure and idol.

Do the people who hate and bash and incessantly slander these two coaches have any idea what TJ or VY or KD would say if they heard you? They'd think you were dumbest fucking Texas fan of all time, and an embarrassment to the school. The guy gave you your most cherished memories as a student/alum/fan, and brought unparalleled success to the program (in the case of Barnes) and because he fell off a little bit after a decade of dominance you actively hate and disparage the man. How our fans can reconcile being fanatical about TJ and VY while also hating Rick and Mack, their mentors and father figures, is beyond me. 

This is pretty nonsensical.

Nobody disliked Brown like they do now in 2005. Or Barnes in 2007.

And I can think of lots of people who are extremely disliked while their actual children aren't. Or vice versa. Being loved by someone beloved doesn't mean you can't be hated. That doesn't make any sense at all and it should only take you about a minute to come up with dozens of examples.

Both men took millions of dollars from Texas while not doing their best work. One of them was more actively stealing (Brown) while the other merely failed as hubris and other shortcomings led to his work performance going to shit in Austin.

I'm not rooting for Barnes to win the title because that would be irritating given his poor performance at the end of his tenure here. I.e., why did he refuse to listen and change while here? But I'm not rooting against him either as it's good to see someone improve themselves even if it's after they fail to do so at Texas. Essentially I don't give a shit what Barnes does anywhere else. He had a great run here then sucked. It's over.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is pretty nonsensical.

Nobody disliked Brown like they do now in 2005. Or Barnes in 2007.

And I can think of lots of people who are extremely disliked while their actual children aren't. Or vice versa. Being loved by someone beloved doesn't mean you can't be hated. That doesn't make any sense at all and it should only take you about a minute to come up with dozens of examples.

Both men took millions of dollars from Texas while not doing their best work. One of them was more actively stealing (Brown) while the other merely failed as hubris and other shortcomings led to his work performance going to shit in Austin.

I'm not rooting for Barnes to win the title because that would be irritating given his poor performance at the end of his tenure here. I.e., why did he refuse to listen and change while here? But I'm not rooting against him either as it's good to see someone improve themselves even if it's after they fail to do so at Texas. Essentially I don't give a shit what Barnes does anywhere else. He had a great run here then sucked. It's over.

I'm sure you can think of examples of people who are liked while their progeny aren't, but I doubt that many of them would be analogous to the relationships between TJ/Rick, Mack/VY, and the fans who *hate*- not dislike, not "no longer rooting for him", but who actually hate and hold disdain for the guy. I can understand it more re:Mack for the reasons mentioned, but at what point do you let he fire die out? Particularly when it comes to Rick Barnes.

You have to admit that it is strange to love and idolize TJ Ford while hating the man who brought him here/means so much to him just because he stopped winning. Even when he lost his way he was still actively trying to get better- seeking out the best offense in the NBA and trying to emulate it, asking his peers (famously including Bob Knight) to be real with him and tell him what he needed to change, bringing Rob Lanier back to the program, and so on. Ultimately it didn't work out, and *that's* enough for you to hate someone? 

Heres why I say it's nonsensical- if you are one of these people who hates Rick, and you find yourself somehow having a round table discussion with TJ, KD, LA, AJ, PJ, and Royal, and they ask for your opinion on Barnes, will you be honest? I fucking doubt it. Why? Because you'd feel pretty damn sheepish going, "Well i personally hate the guy and hope he fails at Tennessee because he stopped going to Sweet 16's." You'd realize that your opinion is retarded if you actually had to say it aloud and own it front of your heroes knowing how differently they feel (and with good reason). To me there's a disconnect there. 

Edited by Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Meh, he’s probably winning because he now has unencumbered access to money to sway recruits to Tennessee via either boosters or shoe companies.

He really had to fight off those boosters from Wisconsin Green Bay and Howard to win the bidding wars for Schofield and Williams. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TexArcher said:

The Vols are #1 in the country and look like a very legit contender to win the whole thing.

Are you rooting for Barnes?  Does it piss you off that we let him go, or maybe that he let our program go downhill then did his best coaching elsewhere?  Etc...

I liked Rick.  Hope he does well, but I’m thinking we let him go so that he could continue to beat aggy in the mighty sec.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I'm sure you can think of examples of people who are liked while their progeny aren't, but I doubt that many of them would be analogous to the relationships between TJ/Rick, Mack/VY, and the fans who *hate*- not dislike, not "no longer rooting for him", but who actually hate and hold disdain for the guy. I can understand it more re:Mack for the reasons mentioned, but at what point do you let he fire die out? Particularly when it comes to Rick Barnes.

You have to admit that it is strange to love and idolize TJ Ford while hating the man who brought him here/means so much to him just because he stopped winning. Even when he lost his way he was still actively trying to get better- seeking out the best offense in the NBA and trying to emulate it, asking his peers (famously including Bob Knight) to be real with him and tell him what he needed to change, bringing Rob Lanier back to the program, and so on. Ultimately it didn't work out, and *that's* enough for you to hate someone? 

Heres why I say it's nonsensical- if you are one of these people who hates Rick, and you find yourself somehow having a round table discussion with TJ, KD, LA, AJ, PJ, and Royal, and they ask for your opinion on Barnes, will you be honest? I fucking doubt it. Why? Because you'd feel pretty damn sheepish going, "Well i personally hate the guy and hope he fails at Tennessee because he stopped going to Sweet 16's." You'd realize that your opinion is retarded if you actually had to say it aloud and own it front of your heroes knowing how differently they feel (and with good reason). To me there's a disconnect there. 

I seriously could not imagine calling another grown man a "hero" of mine because he was good at a sport. 

As for your roundtable scenario, I'd be honest and say I thought they were great players and that Barnes sucked. Mostly because I don't care one bit if some basketball players think I'm cool or not. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I seriously could not imagine calling another grown man a "hero" of mine because he was good at a sport. 

As for your roundtable scenario, I'd be honest and say I thought they were great players and that Barnes sucked. Mostly because I don't care one bit if some basketball players think I'm cool or not. 

You seriously can't imagine having sporting heroes as a kid and then growing up and becoming an adult? Because a huge portion of the people who hate Rick do so because they were kids during his and TJ's heyday and until recently didn't know anything other than Texas being an awesome basketball program replete with NBA talent. 

Edited by Goo Punch

40 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Your roundtable doesn't work because you're stacking the deck. Ask some of the players who didn't like Barnes for their opinions. What you have yet to understand is that everyone besides you is allowed to have an opinion and if it differs from you, that doesn't make you right and them wrong.

6 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Derka’s musings belong on r/iamverysmart

It's always funny when people who never post opinions or original thoughts of their own insult the opinions and original thoughts of someone who shares them here every single day. I guess it's easier to be a part of the peanut gallery than it is to form and and share and stand by your own opinions. Easier to leave the board when you're wrong than to come back the next day and continue the discussion. But then I never seem to take the easy route, do I?

Edited by Goo Punch

I'm ambivalent, but at the risk of triggering Derka I'll use Barnes's historical record to predict that Tennessee gets bounced by the Sweet 16 at the latest.

And no Derka, I'm not going to read any diatribe you write about this prediction. I just want to mark it down and we can see in March.

18 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I'm ambivalent, but at the risk of triggering Derka I'll use Barnes's historical record to predict that Tennessee gets bounced by the Sweet 16 at the latest.

And no Derka, I'm not going to read any diatribe you write about this prediction. I just want to mark it down and we can see in March.

Historical precedent says that they'll go to Elite 8 or beyond if they're a 1 or 2 seed. Barring injury they are on pace to be a 1 or 2 seed. 

You have to admit that it is strange to love and idolize TJ Ford while hating the man who brought him here/means so much to him just because he stopped winning.
 No, it's not strange at all. Well it's strange to hate Barnes but not for that reason.

Even when he lost his way he was still actively trying to get better- seeking out the best offense in the NBA and trying to emulate it, asking his peers (famously including Bob Knight) to be real with him and tell him what he needed to change, bringing Rob Lanier back to the program, and so on. Ultimately it didn't work out, and *that's* enough for you to hate someone? 
 This is why it's strange (even if you are overselling his efforts). The fact that some of his players loved him has nothing to do with it.

Yes, yes I am. I never harbored any bitterness towards Rick Barnes, he built lofty expectations for Texas Basketball that he couldn't sustain in the long run. We've all witnessed how his predecessor has failed miserably with some legitimate talent.