Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?

TexArcher

Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't really care

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Tennessee is:

2nd nationally in AdjO

2nd nationally in FG%

6th nationally in 2P FG%

12th nationally in FT%

1st nationally in Assists/game 

6th nationally in blocks 

7th nationally in scoring 

4th nationally in scoring margin

3a7618e432102ed71153b6adad839302.jpg

boy i'd hate to have such a a terrible coach and such a shitty team. but then again to be fair Barnes has pulled in three straight top 8 nationally ranked recruiting classes, so we should expect his team to be ranked in the top 5 all season by most computers...oh wait, sorry, that's our team. carry on.

cool, we'll see where that gets them. I'm betting Sweet 16 upset or Elite 8 flameout and no conference championship. Banner year for the Vols

13 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

cool, we'll see where that gets them. I'm betting Sweet 16 upset or Elite 8 flameout and no conference championship. Banner year for the Vols

Assuming they are a 1 seed, losing in the Elite 8 is hardly a flameout. And yeah, that would still probably be considered a banner year for the Vols.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Assuming they are a 1 seed, losing in the Elite 8 is hardly a flameout. And yeah, that would still probably be considered a banner year for the Vols.

Vols fans are already debating if this is the best team/season they've ever had. This was their highest ever pre season ranking. They had been ranked #1 overall once before, for one week in 2008; they're currently in their fourth consecutive week at #1. Yeah, I'd say that capping all of this off with a run to the Elite 8 would constitute a banner year in Knoxville. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

"'more of the same old song and dance". what's fucking hilarious is that you're exactly right, and also comoletely wrong. It is the same old song and dance- Rick Barnes once again has a roster full of 2* and 3* talent playing way over their heads and achieving more than other schools who stockpile talent every year *cough* Texas under Shaka *cough*. So yes, that is in fact same old song and dance, it's just the exact opposite of what you're insinuating that it is. 

Tennesee just lost for the first time in 18 games, on the road, at Rupp Arena, against arguably the hottest team in basketball, in a game where they were 5 point underdogs. And you appear in this thread for the first time all year, "Same old Rick Barnes!!" Awesome take, thanks for adding so much substance to the discussion. 🙄

They whiffed from the jump. Like all of your posts 

For shits and giggles, here are the RPI rankings for the teams TN played during the 18 game win streak:

5 (Gonzaga - won by 3 on a neutral court)

I'm sorry, but that's pretty effing terrible.  Shaka would look pretty good with that schedule - if you took out Radford :)

On 2/5/2019 at 5:29 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

If Mack Brown is the second best coach in Texas football history, I really question whether we belong on the top tier of football programs.  At least as it pertains to historical accomplishment. 

Name the 2nd best coach of each of the top 10 bluebloods and lets see how they compare

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

That's the real curse of Rick Barnes. So many of his highest achieving teams started the year unranked or lowly ranked with little in the way of expectations, only to play way over their heads for several months, suddenly creating expectations which are far above and beyond what they should be. His perpetual overachieving in the regular season has ironically earned him a reputation as an underachieving coach because he only has one FF and zero titles.  

TXSooners518:

Rick Barnes in his last 7 seasons had 3 tourney wins and 0 Sweet 16s.

4 of those 7 seasons Texas was 4th or worse in a 10 team league (and once was 4th in a 12 team league) 

In those 7 seasons, Texas lost 87 games, more than 12 losses per season. 

Included in those seasons were:
Going from 5th to unranked in 2009 (start 15-4, finish 7-7)
Going from 1st to unranked and damn near missing the tourney in 2010 (start 17-0, finish 7-9)
Starting 23-3 and #3 in 2011, then going 4-4 down the stretch and getting a 5 seed, resulting in missing the second weekend again
Starting 12-4 in 2012, then going 8-9 down the stretch and damn near missing the tourney
Sub-.500 CBI season in 2013
Starting 20-5 and #19 in 2014, then yet again falling apart down the stretch going 4-5 and falling to the 7 seed in the tourney
Starting 14-4 and as high as #6 in 2015, then YET AGAIN, going 6-9 down the stretch, damn near missing the tourney. 

The continuous late-season swoons added to the lack of any NCAAT success for the better part of a decade are what signed Barnes' warrant, and appropriately so.

His final four team started the year ranked 4th.

Elite 8 in 08 started at 15.

Elite 8 in 06 started at 2nd.

None of his other teams achieved anything higher.

54 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

oklahoma, bama, mich, nd, osu, usc, nebraska, penn state, whoever

I'm doing this mostly off the top of my head. 

Oklahoma's best head coaches were Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, and Bob Stoops. All three of those were better than Mack.

Alabama's were Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, Frank Thomas, and Wallace Wade. 

Michigan was Fielding Yost, Bo Schembechler, Fitz Crisler, and Lloyd Carr. Mack and Lloyd Carr had a lot in common. 

Notre Dame-- Knute Rockne, Frank Leahy, Ara Parseghian, Lou Holtz. Mack and Holtz are similarly accomplished.

Ohio State-- not counting Paul Brown, it would be Woody Hayes, Jim Tressel, and Urban Meyer. Tressel has a better overall resume than Mack.

USC-- Howard Jones, John McKay, Pete Carroll, John Robinson. 

Nebraska-- Tom Osborne, Bob Devaney. Devaney won 2 national titles.

Penn State-- Joe Paterno, Rip Engle. Mack's national title > Rip Engle's 0. Mack's never being implicated in a child abuse scandal > JoePa but Paterno was obviously a far superior football coach.

anyway the larger point has already been made, by Machinator-- we're one of the 3 winningest programs ever by wins and win pct, but our lack of MNCs and post-SWC conference titles is really jarring compared to the OKlahomas and Alabamas of the world

5 hours ago, dogbreath said:

His final four team started the year ranked 4th.

Elite 8 in 08 started at 15.

Elite 8 in 06 started at 2nd.

None of his other teams achieved anything higher.

you're taking "highest achieving" too literal. there's a reason I chose that verbiage, as opposed to saying "many of best teams started the year unranked/lowly rank with little in the way of expectations." for example:

1999-  started the year 3-8, finished the year by going 15-3 and winning the league title.

2000- started the year ranked 21, went 6-3 through December, finished 16-4  including 13-3 and runner up to KU in the league with a team that played six guys whose second best player was Gabe Muoneke.

2001- Anither good example. Another team that played six guys, the best of whom was transfer Mo Evans. Started the year unranked and stayed that way until January, ultimately finishing ranked 18th going 12-4 in the league. This was not a good team, and on paper it's his worst tourney loss by seed (6 vs 11). We got that 6 seed by playing way over our heads.

2004- The team lost TJ Ford and had no NBA players (edit- okay Royal Ivey) in the starting five and still won 25 games, finished 2nd in the league, and went to the Sweet 16. 

2011- Started the year unranked, peaked as high as 3rd nationally, and spent the final 10 weeks of the season in the top 10, ultimately getting boned out of a date with Duke in the S16

2018- Staryed the year picked to finish 13th in a 14 team league, ended up winning the league and featuring the SEC POY, wildly exceeding expectations.

Whether it's the 2001 team that played over its head and got exposed, or it's the '99 or '11 teams (or obviously last year's Tennessee team) that had no expectations and then achieved some really good things, if you take the time to go back and look at these rosters and their preseason expectations it'll be a lot easier to remember how little was expected of these teams until the season got going. It's undeniable that he's been one of the best over the last 20-25 years at getting undertalented teams with little/no depth to play above their level during the season. 

Edited by Goo Punch

4 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

Does Barnes have a top 100 player on this team?

His two best players were going to go to Wisconsin-Green Bay and Howard U respectively before he got them to come to Tennessee. Now Williams (Hampton) is on pace to win his second straight SEC POY and should be a finalist  for the NPOY. Schofield (UWGB) is poised to be All SEC and possibly an All American as well. Jordan Bone was a 3 star (#146 nationally) looking at schools like Chattanooga and La Tech. He too will be All SEC and possibly an All American. 

Hell, this current Tennessee team is playing over its head. Nobody expected this. Even I said coming into then year that I thought that being ranked sixth was a tad too high. I certainly didn't expect them to ever reach #1, stars there for a month. and have people referring to them as "1A and 1B" with Duke as they have been for a couple weeks now. This is my entire point. Even this current team which did have high expectations has been exceeding them during the regular season. It's what he does- it's his damn calling card. It's only bitter UT fans and people who never actually followed Barnes at Texas who don't know any better.