Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?

TexArcher

Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Are you rooting for Rick Barnes to win the championship?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't really care

On 2/5/2019 at 2:42 PM, Goo Punch said:

Also, let's recap my loyalty to Rick Barnes for the record. This whole "high school crush on Rick Barnes" shit is so off base it's pathetic. You've been around enough to know better, but for those who don't know, here's why I'm personally still passionate about the guy, not that I ever would or ever have expected anyone else to feel the same:

My dad was the basketball SID at Texas in the 80's and 90's, and worked with Texas athletics from the 70's up until just about 2000. Texas basketball is my first love, because I grew up within the program. I'm no different than Rob Lanier's kids, or Eddie Oren's kids, or Todd Wright's kids. My love for this program goes beyond what yours does. My love for this program has been instilled in me my entire life. I was hanging out at UT practices from the time I could walk, and I maintain friendships with a ton of former players and coaches to this day. If you can't wrap your head around why a kid who grew up in my circumstances would be so fanatical about the program and it's best ever coach, you just don't want to.

Beyond that, my connection to the program and to Rick Barnes himself continued even after my dad left UT. During Rick's first year here Cooley Pavilion was under construction, so we had the team come practice at my school. I was there, at every practice during Rick's first year, playing one on one with his son Nick Barnes, talking to Gabe Muoneke, Chris Mihm, and Kris Clack on a daily basis. I knew the man from the first day he arrived in Austin, and proceeded to watch him take the thing that I loved the most in my life and make it 100x better, and I watched it from ground zero. I was there, day to day, a part of the program, happier than I'd ever been to be involved with UT basketball.

Then, when things went south, I had to endure years of people on the internet trashing and destroying this man who I had looked up to and considered a role model or an idol. Beyond that, during Rick's final five years or so Todd Wright's kids attended my school, where his wife was also a teacher. My mom taught both of his daughters and had them in her home room. His son was one of my kids for an entire year, and his entire family are basically the greatest people you'll ever meet. Truly wonderful people. Todd Wright is to this day my mentor, and his wife is one of my mom's best friends, and someone who I still talk to weekly. Our families will remain close regardless of geography, so this shit goes beyond normal fandom.

When our program started going south and the angry mob came out with torches and pitchforks, every single day we all had to live wondering if the coaches and their families were going to lose their jobs and have to move to a new city; and that's exactly what ended up happening. It was a tough time for the families of the coaching staff, and it was a tough time for me and my family as well, as this was much more than just some strangers who we rooted for- these were our long time friends and one time idols who were being destroyed online by our fans, who then got fired and forced to uproot their lives after spending 17+ years here in Austin. All of Coach Wright's kids were born and raised in Austin, Texas, until one day they were uprooted from everything they'd known and forced to move to Philly. So yeah, I took that hard.

Now Coach Wright is thriving in Philly and the 76ers are my NBA team. Now Coach Barnes and Coach Lanier and their families are in Knoxville where they are thriving and once again on top. You're goddamn right that makes me happy. You're goddamn right I'm rooting for them. But you've got me all the way fucked up with this "high school crush on Rick Barnes" shit, and this fantastical idea that I've been imploring everyone else to feel the same way, or that i'm losing my shit on people who don't root for him. That's a bunch of made up bullshit, invented by you because you're irritated that I still mention his name around here. Well you're gonna have to get over it, because I'm not going to stop rooting for him, and I'm not going to stop bringing his name up when it's relevant. And please, do not ever in your life again trivialize my feelings for people who I know personally and who I lived and worked with through the roughest time of their professional lives. You don't have to feel the same way as I do, but you will damn sure respect why I feel the way I do, and cut it out with this high school drama bullshit you're spewing. You can't handle it? Put me on ignore then. But don't trivialize my feelings as if I don't have a whole lot more invested in this situation than you do, or like I have no legit reasons to still support our former coaches and their families. Hell, I rung in the new year this year with Reggie Freeman (among others), and when someone was asking us about how we'd known each other so long despite the age and background difference, the answer was simple: "Not a lot of us around here really really fuck with Texas basketball like we do. There's only a few of us in Austin. It's a family." I take that to heart. Deal with it. 

Dude, no one cares. Shut the fuck up

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Look, I don't idolize Rick like some do but I think it's reasonable for people to root for him, and it's equally reasonable for people to not care about how he does outside Texas.

No it's not. What if he were coaching at OU or aggy? Should we root for him then? 

Just now, Machinator said:

I think most intelligent people would understand that circumstances would be different, then. Sorry I didn't hedge for every scenario in my original statement.

Sorry I guess I don't get why anyone would give a fuck about a former coach that never led us to a championship, and never would have

• Like 1

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

Sorry I guess I don't get why anyone would give a fuck about a former coach that never led us to a championship, and never would have

Because he led us to unprecedented success? Like I said, I don't live and die with Rick, but I understand why some people are rooting for him, and find it unproductive to convince them they shouldn't.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, Goo Punch said:

Also, let's recap my loyalty to Rick Barnes for the record. This whole "high school crush on Rick Barnes" shit is so off base it's pathetic. You've been around enough to know better, but for those who don't know, here's why I'm personally still passionate about the guy, not that I ever would or ever have expected anyone else to feel the same:

My dad was the basketball SID at Texas in the 80's and 90's, and worked with Texas athletics from the 70's up until just about 2000. Texas basketball is my first love, because I grew up within the program. I'm no different than Rob Lanier's kids, or Eddie Oren's kids, or Todd Wright's kids. My love for this program goes beyond what yours does. My love for this program has been instilled in me my entire life. I was hanging out at UT practices from the time I could walk, and I maintain friendships with a ton of former players and coaches to this day. If you can't wrap your head around why a kid who grew up in my circumstances would be so fanatical about the program and it's best ever coach, you just don't want to.

Beyond that, my connection to the program and to Rick Barnes himself continued even after my dad left UT. During Rick's first year here Cooley Pavilion was under construction, so we had the team come practice at my school. I was there, at every practice during Rick's first year, playing one on one with his son Nick Barnes, talking to Gabe Muoneke, Chris Mihm, and Kris Clack on a daily basis. I knew the man from the first day he arrived in Austin, and proceeded to watch him take the thing that I loved the most in my life and make it 100x better, and I watched it from ground zero. I was there, day to day, a part of the program, happier than I'd ever been to be involved with UT basketball.

Then, when things went south, I had to endure years of people on the internet trashing and destroying this man who I had looked up to and considered a role model or an idol. Beyond that, during Rick's final five years or so Todd Wright's kids attended my school, where his wife was also a teacher. My mom taught both of his daughters and had them in her home room. His son was one of my kids for an entire year, and his entire family are basically the greatest people you'll ever meet. Truly wonderful people. Todd Wright is to this day my mentor, and his wife is one of my mom's best friends, and someone who I still talk to weekly. Our families will remain close regardless of geography, so this shit goes beyond normal fandom.

When our program started going south and the angry mob came out with torches and pitchforks, every single day we all had to live wondering if the coaches and their families were going to lose their jobs and have to move to a new city; and that's exactly what ended up happening. It was a tough time for the families of the coaching staff, and it was a tough time for me and my family as well, as this was much more than just some strangers who we rooted for- these were our long time friends and one time idols who were being destroyed online by our fans, who then got fired and forced to uproot their lives after spending 17+ years here in Austin. All of Coach Wright's kids were born and raised in Austin, Texas, until one day they were uprooted from everything they'd known and forced to move to Philly. So yeah, I took that hard.

Now Coach Wright is thriving in Philly and the 76ers are my NBA team. Now Coach Barnes and Coach Lanier and their families are in Knoxville where they are thriving and once again on top. You're goddamn right that makes me happy. You're goddamn right I'm rooting for them. But you've got me all the way fucked up with this "high school crush on Rick Barnes" shit, and this fantastical idea that I've been imploring everyone else to feel the same way, or that i'm losing my shit on people who don't root for him. That's a bunch of made up bullshit, invented by you because you're irritated that I still mention his name around here. Well you're gonna have to get over it, because I'm not going to stop rooting for him, and I'm not going to stop bringing his name up when it's relevant. And please, do not ever in your life again trivialize my feelings for people who I know personally and who I lived and worked with through the roughest time of their professional lives. You don't have to feel the same way as I do, but you will damn sure respect why I feel the way I do, and cut it out with this high school drama bullshit you're spewing. You can't handle it? Put me on ignore then. But don't trivialize my feelings as if I don't have a whole lot more invested in this situation than you do, or like I have no legit reasons to still support our former coaches and their families. Hell, I rung in the new year this year with Reggie Freeman (among others), and when someone was asking us about how we'd known each other so long despite the age and background difference, the answer was simple: "Not a lot of us around here really really fuck with Texas basketball like we do. There's only a few of us in Austin. It's a family." I take that to heart. Deal with it. 

Maybe you need a reminder of where you stand in order of the U of Texas basketball program.

KD,TJ,PJ and 500 Basketball lettermen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>greggym>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>a gazzilion light

years>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>little derka.

You are absolutely no one special. Only you think you are. You're not a member of the T Association, a former letterman and you don't get invited to former lettermen reunions.. And you are different than those kids you mentioned because their Dads were part of the Texas Basketball Team and Family and you're not.  Big deal, you know some former players. You have no clue what it like to bust your ass every day in practice. You have no clue of the sacrifices that we made. You have no idea what its like to lose a hard fought game at the buzzer. You have no idea what its like to be on the team bus heading to the game and you're lost in your thoughts. You have no idea what its like to get final instructions in the locker room moments before the game, in the huddle during a game or after the game. You have no idea what its like sitting at an airport waiting to go back to Austin after a hard fought loss, getting back to Austin at 230 AM after a 4 hour bus ride and you have to be at class in less than 6 hours. You have no idea what its like to have to study for finals on the road 2 days before you have to take one.You have no idea what its like to be the only 13 students on campus during Christmas break. You have no idea what its like to take a 6 hour plane flight and 30 minutes after landing back in Austin, you're taking a mid term final for 40% of your grade. You have no idea what its like to have to be at the gym for an early Sunday morning practice. You have no idea what its like to bust you're ass in practice, go eat dinner than have to study 3-4 hours just to keep up with the rest of the class. You have no idea what its like to be a conference champion and the hard work and dedication it takes to accomplish that and you have no idea what it takes to be a teammate. And I haven't even started. Get over yourself. You're the only one that thinks that you're important. And btw, I knew Coach Barnes a lot better than you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

reading you sucking your own dick for 27 run-on sentences only to finish with "get over yourself" was hilarious. great post greggym, as usual. 

You will never be part of the program regardless of how badly you believe you are. Thats right, get over yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Stop negging people who don’t agree with you. Such a bitch. 

You can't be serious. What greggym wrote was *the* most personal attack i've seen posted in years, and it was summarily neg repped by everyone except you, who pos repped it. And now you're back in here just to call me a bitch again. If this board were a meritocracy then your posting privileges would be in jeopardy right now. Grow up. 

If Texas played Tenn. in the tourney this year, we all know who derka would be rooting for. That should tell you how big of a “Texas fan” he truly is. 

And spare us the “I grew up with the program so I’m special & different” bs. Rick Barnes and most of those players probably don’t even remember who you are. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If Texas played Tenn. in the tourney this year, we all know who derka would be rooting for. That should tell you how big of a “Texas fan” he truly is. 

And spare us the “I grew up with the program so I’m special & different” bs. Rick Barnes and most of those players probably don’t even remember who you are. 

nothing like a guy 100% making shit up and talking out of his ass to make his point. jesus. i thought i was supposed to be the confrontational one, and yet i've got js1, BWG, greggym, and now fucking helibious of all people, the Yankees fan from the valley who hasn't even heard of several All Star MLB players, telling me what a shitty fan I am. 

You guys are lucky that I'm not my old self, because this board would be crashing down right now with all of the unprovoked shit you all are constantly starting with me. 

i mean I have to post this right now, you all have left me no choice.

This group of people with a grudge against me all start shit with me unprovoked. If I had been the one starting shit with four different posters everyone would flip out about me ruining the board. if i simply point out that they are the ones trying to start it with me then it's, " omg you're such a victim derka." nope, just pointing out the facts, because i'm tired of this childish shit. wake up and smell the troll- it's you idiots, not me. 

now can we please talk basketball, or does immamac have to come in here and starting handing out timeouts to all of these grown children who refuse to stay on topic? jesus you people...

Edited by Goo Punch

25 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

You think your opinion is factYou can't be serious. What greggym wrote was *the* most personal attack i've seen posted in years, and it was summarily neg repped by everyone except you, who pos repped it. And now you're back in here just to call me a bitch again. If this board were a meritocracy then your posting privileges would be in jeopardy right now. Grow up. 

Thats not a personal attack. That was the truth. Period. You think you're special and you're not. Knowing some players doesn't mean anything. If it does, then I'm even smarter than you because I know more than you do. WE get it. You took Coach Barnes leaving personally even though everyone including coaches that coached with him knew it was time for him to move on. Happens all over the country and it was the right move. And again, I knew him better than you. Your I hate Coach Smart schtick is beyond tiresome because you're letting your hatred affect your posts and its obvious to everyone but you. No player development? Thats beyond stupid even for you. Maybe you should actually watch a game. No one expects you or anyone to be a sunshine pumper but you're nonsense is beyond clueless.

You want to talk about personal attacks? No one attacks posts here more than you. If this board was a meritocracy, you would have been permanently been exiled to GoVols. Since they have had few good teams since Bernie and Ernie, go google them, your wisdom would probably be welcomed.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i mean I have to post this right now, you all have left me no choice.

This group of people with a grudge against me all start shit with me unprovoked. If I had been the one starting shit with four different posters everyone would flip out about me ruining the board. if i simply point out that they are the ones trying to start it with me then it's, " omg you're such a victim derka." nope, just pointing out the facts, because i'm tired of this childish shit. wake up and smell the troll- it's you idiots, not me. 

now can we please talk basketball, or does immamac have to come in here and starting handing out timeouts to all of these grown children who refuse to stay on topic? jesus you people...

I don't have a grudge against you. I am tired of you thinking that you're special regarding this program and you're not. You're not as smart as you think you are and thats a FACT. Thats the point. Hopefully for the board, you will figure it out sooner than later.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

nothing like a guy 100% making shit up and talking out of his ass to make his point. jesus. i thought i was supposed to be the confrontational one, and yet i've got js1, BWG, greggym, and now fucking helibious of all people, the Yankees fan from the valley who hasn't even heard of several All Star MLB players, telling me what a shitty fan I am. 

You guys are lucky that I'm not my old self, because this board would be crashing down right now with all of the unprovoked shit you all are constantly starting with me. 

I think it already is. Just cause you repeated that tired critique of me I hope to god UTRGV makes a run in the WAC tourney and draws Tenn in the 16 vs 1 matchup, and then pulls off the upset.

15 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Some things never change

lmao, he's had his team at #1 in the country for four weeks and they're losing on the road to arguably the hottest team in cbb, a game that all metrics and computers had them losing, and your response is "some things never change". lmao, yeah you got that right- some of you will never get over his last five years here. 

Edited by Goo Punch

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

lmao, he's had his team at #1 in the country for four weeks and they're losing on the road to arguably the hottest team in cbb, a game that all metrics and computers had them losing, and your response is "some things never change". lmao, yeah you got that right- some of you will never get over his last five years here. 

Playing who, exactly? In his first test in a month his team didn’t show up

19 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Playing who, exactly? In his first test in a month his team didn’t show up

Imagine that. They haven't been tested in a month and tonight they go on the road to face a scorching hot Kentucky and then losing is your big indictment of Barnes. You didn't make a single post in here as Tennessee was winning 17 straight, running the seconds best offense in America, and staying at no.1 for four weeks, universally being hailed as "1A and 1B with Duke", but now that they're losing @ Kentucky, "some things never change". okie silly dilly dokie o.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I honestly don't understand how a Power 5 team can play 2 ranked teams in 24 games.  No wonder all the computers have TN lower than the humans who are looking at at 23-1 record.

All season i think Tennessee has peaked at 5th in the computers. No higher than 4th. And UK is right there in all of them.

For full transparency, TN's non-conference schedule is not that bad.  It's not like aggy's non-conference baseball schedule.  That's for sure.  The zvols played:

Gonzaga

Kansas

Louisville

Memphis

WVU

Georgia Tech

Wake Forest

It's not really their fault that a lot of these teams suck ass.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Like 1

The criticism of Tenn's schedule is legit. Since the calendar year flipped to 2019, they've played one game against a team that would be in the tournament if it started today, and that resulted in a three-point home win against the SEC version of Shaka Smart (Avery Johnson's Alabama).

Having said that, one loss on the road against a talented top 5 team is not necessarily a harbinger of things to come. Let's see how they finish out the season before crowing "same ole Rick".

There's also something to be said for taking care of business against every inferior team you play (thus far) and they have impressive noncon wins as well.

Edited by Machinator

They've played who's been in front of them and have been both dominant and efficient. Coming out of the woodwork to talk shit at the first loss in over a month- on the road at UK no less- is chickenshit. I don't care if you want to legitimately criticize or discuss his team or his coaching, but suddenly appearing to y'all trash like this is just childish and stupid.

Edited by Goo Punch

Same old Rick isn’t an indictment of his season, more of we’ve seen this song and dance. That’s what separates him from the elite. He has a roster built for tourney success and I’ve always liked his hard nosed style. I’ve always felt he didn’t know when to stop tinkering and just let his guys play. That’s why everyone said it took a great PG for him to make a run.

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Same old Rick isn’t an indictment of his season, more of we’ve seen this song and dance. That’s what separates him from the elite. He has a roster built for tourney success and I’ve always liked his hard nosed style. I’ve always felt he didn’t know when to stop tinkering and just let his guys play. That’s why everyone said it took a great PG for him to make a run.

That's fair, but most teams that make a run have great guard play. Look at last year's Final 4 - Nova had Brunson, KU had Graham, and Loyola Chicago had Ingram. Michigan is the one team that didn't have high-level PG play (which speaks to Beilein's greatness), but Xavier Simpson developed into a very good player by the time the tourney came around.

"'more of the same old song and dance". what's fucking hilarious is that you're exactly right, and also comoletely wrong. It is the same old song and dance- Rick Barnes once again has a roster full of 2* and 3* talent playing way over their heads and achieving more than other schools who stockpile talent every year *cough* Texas under Shaka *cough*. So yes, that is in fact same old song and dance, it's just the exact opposite of what you're insinuating that it is. 

Tennesee just lost for the first time in 18 games, on the road, at Rupp Arena, against arguably the hottest team in basketball, in a game where they were 5 point underdogs. And you appear in this thread for the first time all year, "Same old Rick Barnes!!" Awesome take, thanks for adding so much substance to the discussion. 🙄

Edited by Goo Punch

Tennessee hasn't achieved anything this season, they are 1-3 against ranked teams, which is a worse record than that *cough* Shaka team this year. They lost to a team that Shaka beat even. Once again regular season Rick comes in and beats on lower opponents and loses games they should lose. Maybe they can double their wins in the NCAA tourney and then you can really beat your chest.

That's the real curse of Rick Barnes. So many of his highest achieving teams started the year unranked or lowly ranked with little in the way of expectations, only to play way over their heads for several months, suddenly creating expectations which are far above and beyond what they should be. His perpetual overachieving in the regular season has ironically earned him a reputation as an underachieving coach because he only has one FF and zero titles. Grant Williams was going to commit to Hampton U, and Admiral Schofield was going to end up at Wisconsin-Green Bay. Now Williams is about to be a repeat as SEC POY, a first team AA, and a finalist for the Wooden Award, while Schofield is going to be All Conference and quite possibly named an All American. But these idiotic clowns like Revolution don't have shit to say about any of that, they just pop in whenever Tennessee loses to go, "See, I told you Barnes sucks!" It's retarded.

This isn't even about criticizing Barnes, because if you can legitimately do so based on anything real or substantive then be my guest. This is about the dumbest fucking poster on the basketball board, a Connally HS flunkie and embarrassment, deciding to pop in to the thread for the first time all year to add "Same old Rick" to the thread. Brilliant take genius. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Tennessee is:

2nd nationally in AdjO

2nd nationally in FG%

6th nationally in 2P FG%

12th nationally in FT%

1st nationally in Assists/game 

6th nationally in blocks 

7th nationally in scoring 

4th nationally in scoring margin

3a7618e432102ed71153b6adad839302.jpg

boy i'd hate to have such a a terrible coach and such a shitty team. but then again to be fair Barnes has pulled in three straight top 8 nationally ranked recruiting classes, so we should expect his team to be ranked in the top 5 all season by most computers...oh wait, sorry, that's our team. carry on.