Tapatalk

1 hour ago, skipperj said:

Mainly, that it is trying too hard to recreate Shaggy instead of creating its own identity.

This is an interesting take.  I think one of the differences is that there are a bunch of posters missing and there is not really anything, right now, drawing in new visitors.  I'm assuming football season may change some of that, but it's going to take some creative and talented posters to bring that kind of draw again.  Some of the most creative/talented posters on shaggy aren't posting the same kind of content that they did in the past.  My opinion isn't that it is trying to hard, the content is just not what it was.

You could also argue since Shaggy was torn away, that Surly is supposed to be a replacement.  Why should it have its own identity?

And since none of that is really about Tapa, I'll post a Tapa comment here.  I never use it anymore  because the mobile version of this site is easier to use.  For the folks who posted lots of gifs and pics, that's probably not true, but as someone who mostly lurks, I hate the way Tapa works now for Surly compared to the way it worked on Shaggy.

This is an interesting take.  I think one of the differences is that there are a bunch of posters missing and there is not really anything, right now, drawing in new visitors.  I'm assuming football season may change some of that, but it's going to take some creative and talented posters to bring that kind of draw again.  Some of the most creative/talented posters on shaggy aren't posting the same kind of content that they did in the past.  My opinion isn't that it is trying to hard, the content is just not what it was.
You could also argue since Shaggy was torn away, that Surly is supposed to be a replacement.  Why should it have its own identity?
And since none of that is really about Tapa, I'll post a Tapa comment here.  I never use it anymore  because the mobile version of this site is easier to use.  For the folks who posted lots of gifs and pics, that's probably not true, but as someone who mostly lurks, I hate the way Tapa works now for Surly compared to the way it worked on Shaggy.

Cry-jack the cock/gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, PhillyD said:

I never use it anymore  because the mobile version of this site is easier to use.  For the folks who posted lots of gifs and pics, that's probably not true, but as someone who mostly lurks, I hate the way Tapa works now for Surly compared to the way it worked on Shaggy.

This right here. I don't know if it was a tapatalk upgrade, or the way tapatalk interfaces with the new forum software, or both, but it doesn't work the same and I think it kept locking my account. Plus linking to images and tweets and the like is easier on mobile because the forum software embeds it automatically while tapa doesn't.

Plus linking to images and tweets and the like is easier on mobile because the forum software embeds it automatically while tapa doesn't.

Tapa does, but it requires a bunch of settings and mods be done by the forum admin. Apparently that is a lot of work.

It's possible it's not, but to my eye Surly feels a lot more political.  It feels like there's more overt political shit outside of CR.  It's become nauseating. 

Also, when you're properly logged into Tapa there's supposed to be blue lines next to the forums and threads.  Over half the time, well over half, there's not.  I look as if I'm logged in, but it doesn't register me as logged in.  I have to back out a few times, wait a while.  It's like Russian Roulette, I have no idea when I open Tapa if I'll be logged in or not.

• 1 month later...
Can you guys ever consistently get unread threads to show up in tapa?
I mainly use the Participated tab and it always shows the threads with new unread posts at the top and jumps right to the unread posts when I click on it. If I go to a subforum like Football, it shows the latest updated threads at the top. If I go to Unread, I get all threads listed with unread posts with latest posts at the top.

But I'm using an older version of Tapa.

6 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I can't scroll down and see more than ten threads in any forum. It just stops and wont load

Yeah - noticed that, too ... checked the tapa settings and didn't see anything.  Has to be on the server side, 'cause I don't think I've had a tapa update recently (Android).

My app is saying I have 50 messages but when I click on the envelope nothing is there.

Mine has been showing between 1-5 new messages this week (since the site maintenance?), but there are no new messages when I click the the envelope or check the website.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Tapa message notification icons are always screwed up. They always show unread messages even when there aren’t. The number also varies constantly in a random way.

Yeah to try and get rid of it I was in the inbox and decided to click Mark All as Read.  It marked every thread on Surly as read.  That wasn't cool.  I didn't think it would do that from the in box.

• 5 weeks later...

It seems like they don't care about Tapa.  I still use it for the most part, except game threads.  I've just gotten accustomed to all the things that don't work right.

The mobile website is pretty good, Tapa seems faster to me, so that is why I still use it.

On 9/29/2018 at 1:39 PM, elfenix said:

Why does Tapatalk have so many stickies in the football board?

76adfa495fea658264944ac7f8fd1add.jpg

As well as the real estate that all the stickies and announcements take up, the read behavior doesn't work on them. I've read the Fire Tom Herman thread but every time I go back into the thread, it takes me to the first post. 

So tired of not seeing Imgur stuff in Tapatalk. Just makes we want to give up reading the site
At least I don't see them everywhere. I just quote it, highlight the url in the post, then select "Samsung Internet" and it opens a browser window to the pic. If I care enough to see it.