If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

It does count.  Just not audited like PPM.  So the Ticket figured that out and decided they'd just tell people that everyone in DFW is streaming their shit all the time and no one is gonna call them on it.  Meanwhile the spots you hear on the stream are going for $10 per (or flat out given away as added value), while the same spot on terrestrial might go for $400+.    

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that right now the measurement of people tuning radios to the ticket is more accurate than counting the number of streams attached to the ticket servers? Because it’s a hell of a lot easier to track actual digital stream connections than it is to do some sort of half ass survey audit where only 85 year old grandmothers will answer the phone to answer a radio survey. I must not understand.

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that right now the measurement of people tuning radios to the ticket is more accurate than counting the number of streams attached to the ticket servers? Because it’s a hell of a lot easier to track actual digital stream connections than it is to do some sort of half ass survey audit where only 85 year old grandmothers will answer the phone to answer a radio survey. I must not understand.

I loathe to get in the middle of this recurring shitfest over ratings but I imagine the idea is the outdated model is still how the stations justify and price their ad buys. Streaming is similar to internet ads versus say TV. TV will bring in more. Sure it's an outdated model but it's what the system was built on and there's probably not enough consistent data to say streaming is lapping terrestrial enough to justify raising prices.

This ratings stuff is a beat down. If the fan was worth a shit we would know people that actually listen to it and would have a thread devoted to it. The saddest part of the whole ratings thing to me is that norm is dominating, that's how bad the fan is. Norm is the tickets weakest link at this point and he's overwhelmingly better than whatever the fan is trying to pump out.

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It's not done by a phone survey anymore.  Hasn't been that way for a long time.  They use PPMs, which are like pagers  They send those out to qualified radio listeners who wear them 24/7 and they record their listening habits.  That's where the ratings come from. X number of PPMs in the market, results extrapolated to fit to the number of radio listeners in the market (97% of any market).  And you're 100% correct- streaming sessions are easier to track.  But no one does because the streaming audience is literally so small that no one cares.  Ratings are for media buyers.  Try to sell streaming by itself - as a solution - to a media buyer and they'll laugh at you.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s amazing. It’s like he’s on a quest. Is he RJ Choppy?

No, but thanks for the set up. Who else heard a Shan Shariff voiced My Computer Career spot at 4:15 during the Hardline?  What a shit show.  Great timing.

31 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

This ratings stuff is a beat down. If the fan was worth a shit we would know people that actually listen to it and would have a thread devoted to it. The saddest part of the whole ratings thing to me is that norm is dominating, that's how bad the fan is. Norm is the tickets weakest link at this point and he's overwhelmingly better than whatever the fan is trying to pump out.

Lol.  Why do all Ticket P1s think their particular listening habits represent the entire market?  I'd think y'all would embrace exclusivity as hard as you're hanging on to old ratings books like grim death.

By the way- I looked at the ratings today after that Peter Welpton reddit horse shit.  The ratings haven't changed.  And 10-3 on the Ticket is getting assraped.  

Edited by threesheets

Junior just went into detail about their ratings in his scatter shooting segment.  Claimed the little Ticket is...

1. Dominating all four main shows' time slots
  2. Winning overall in the metroplex
  3. Over HALF of their listenership is from streaming for the first time ever
  4. Overall radio consumption is down during Covid (less driving)
  5. Neilsen does include streaming in their ratings
  6. Other stations (competitors) remove streaming to try to bolster their own numbers

Funny how it's all they want to talk about now.  But they have to.  They're taking it in the shorts (like every other radio station/media outlet) and are trying to hang on to whatever revenue they possibly can.

Eh, who gives a shit really.  Ratings are about advertising, and nothing else.  People can believe what they want to believe.  And ratings can be crafted to tell whatever story you want to tell, to be honest.  When I was in radio I used to pick through the books every month (forensically, hour by hour) trying to find an edge wherever I could.  "Oh look- (insert radio station) is killing it in Tarrant and Johnson Counties.  I should work that area more and tell that story."  It's just interesting/fun to me.   But I can totally see why constantly talking about it would make other folks' eyes glaze over.

By the way, if over half of my audience was streaming I wouldn't be talking about it.  The ad $ will get to the digital side eventually, but we're not there yet.  Not by a long shot.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Sirois off to Bora Bora next week. Stupid Cumulus. 

Donnie said Sean is also joining him.  That's not a big loss.  But they are being way more up front about it.  Dan has no problem pulling the curtain back like he did with Brian Curtis the other day.

I'm guessing Blake will have to pull double duty to fill in for Sirois.

Hopefully Cirque du Sirois still happens tomorrow before vacation starts.

Edited by Jive Turkey

42 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Why is Blake allowed on the air?  He’s Killer or TC to me. I never need to hear any of these guys. Ever. Like Drew or Junior Miller or mileslong’s opinions on Jethro Tull. 

I think @Junior Miller took his own life after shooting his wife in the head in a murder-suicide.  but she deliberately disobeyed him, so it was justified.

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Why is Blake allowed on the air?  He’s Killer or TC to me. I never need to hear any of these guys. Ever. Like Drew or Junior Miller or mileslong’s opinions on Jethro Tull. 

I've never understood the hate for TC. He's leaps and bounds better at broadcasting than either one of Blake or Killer. 

• Like 2

Yeah I don't get the TC/killer comparison, TC doesn't bother me at all. Outside of his voice, which I can't stand, Blake just seems brooding and angry. He doesn't handle being needled very well and Dan will take advantage of that. He needs thicker skin if he wants to be at the ticket

I'd take TC over Donnie, Danny, Craig, and Corby.  
I like TC but pump the brakes there. The Musers with TC instead of junior would be shit. The Hardline with TC and Bob would be garbage. Donnie and Sirois are the only thing that makes the invasion even remotely listenable, TC couldn't replace Donnie. He can't even replace Danny. Danny is far from my favorite but TC would be a massive downgrade.
  • Like 1

I think [mention=3354]Junior Miller[/mention] took his own life after shooting his wife in the head in a murder-suicide.  but she deliberately disobeyed him, so it was justified.

What’s the backstory here? I’ve seen it mentioned multiple times but could never find the original post.