If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

10 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Great interview with McConaughey. Glad it was Jake and Dan. It was pre-recorded but they actually had interesting/funny questions. Good thing Corby wasn't involved.

Yeah, I thought it was fantastic. Dan gave Blake props for setting that up so maybe it makes up for blowing WTDS on Monday. (I still can't stand him.)

BTW, I ordered McConaughey's book during the interview.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t know the setup, but Danny brought up a band for the Reconsider Lounge today.  A G&R tribute band comprised of bakers who are into the Old Testament...Buns N Moses.

Guns and Roses came up and Bob mentioned he went to see them on the last tour and Corby shit all over him for liking Guns and Roses. Corby claimed what Bob saw wasn’t really Guns and Roses, just a shell, even though pretty much all the original members were on the tour.

Those Mando segments are so painfully bad. The new HLs segments on shows are pretty terrible, like when they did What We Do In the Shadows. I'm tuning out when they eventually do the Queen's Gambit since that will be the next show they do since Bob is Chess Guy. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Those Mando segments are so painfully bad. The new HLs segments on shows are pretty terrible, like when they did What We Do In the Shadows. I'm tuning out when they eventually do the Queen's Gambit since that will be the next show they do since Bob is Chess Guy. 

I was actually pleasantly surprised with Bob since he had at least some stuff correct from watching with his kids.  But you knew these guys wouldn't know anything that references the animated shows. I watched all of Clone Wars and couldn't have told you much about Bo-Katan.

The "let's roll" thing was dumb, from the audio it was obviously "let's move". They should probably watch with captions on anyway.

You should go to YouTube if you like swearing. To Dallas Stars Dot Com if you’re against swearing but you can see a version of we’re not going home which of course ended up kind of being the uh slogan and slogans are so much better of course when they are not, you know, necessarily from the marketing department if they happen organically Jeff that made it cool so that was kind of the deal after each game uhh you know or as the team is handing out it’s personal awards and the uh chain or whatever it was uhh it’s... I mean the Kiviranta moments. Of course the uh Dobbie moments were phenomenal. I do want to ask you though about the Jamie Benn shot that has everybody talking. So (yes), at the end of the finals and I heard people say they can only watch the first three rounds because it’s still too much a bummer. I think you’re missing it if you don’t see it through. I can’t imagine it’s many people but there’s, there’s moments that are super important in this documentary for me. Umm... finding out what Rick Bowness is all about even though we talk to him every week, uh you can’t substitute radio interviews for the behind the scenes stuff that you guys show. It’s phenomenal. But the real shot that I’m getting to and you know what I’m leading up to is the Jamie Benn moment after it’s over. He’s in the room. He’s sitting there. I don’t know, he’s being Jamie Benn. He’s being a captain. And I’ll be honest at times I’ve grown cynical and and wondering if we’ve seen the best of him and this bubble playoff experience gave me a greater appreciation for Jamie Been than I’ve had in years and I assume I’m not alone there. But the moment of the shot when I uh believe Janmark walks up to him and walks away and just captures the... it almost looks like a surveillance camera... please talk us through that shot and then ultimately Jeff getting permission to use the shot because I think that was probably a sensitive deal uh because he was so vulnerable and and and please just tell us that story.”

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

You should go to YouTube if you like swearing. To Dallas Stars Dot Com if you’re against swearing but you can see a version of we’re not going home which of course ended up kind of being the uh slogan and slogans are so much better of course when they are not, you know, necessarily from the marketing department if they happen organically Jeff that made it cool so that was kind of the deal after each game uhh you know or as the team is handing out it’s personal awards and the uh chain or whatever it was uhh it’s... I mean the Kiviranta moments. Of course the uh Dobbie moments were phenomenal. I do want to ask you though about the Jamie Benn shot that has everybody talking. So (yes), at the end of the finals and I heard people say they can only watch the first three rounds because it’s still too much a bummer. I think you’re missing it if you don’t see it through. I can’t imagine it’s many people but there’s, there’s moments that are super important in this documentary for me. Umm... finding out what Rick Bowness is all about even though we talk to him every week, uh you can’t substitute radio interviews for the behind the scenes stuff that you guys show. It’s phenomenal. But the real shot that I’m getting to and you know what I’m leading up to is the Jamie Benn moment after it’s over. He’s in the room. He’s sitting there. I don’t know, he’s being Jamie Benn. He’s being a captain. And I’ll be honest at times I’ve grown cynical and and wondering if we’ve seen the best of him and this bubble playoff experience gave me a greater appreciation for Jamie Been than I’ve had in years and I assume I’m not alone there. But the moment of the shot when I uh believe Janmark walks up to him and walks away and just captures the... it almost looks like a surveillance camera... please talk us through that shot and then ultimately Jeff getting permission to use the shot because I think that was probably a sensitive deal uh because he was so vulnerable and and and please just tell us that story.”

Can't pass. Won't pass.

200_d.gif

22 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It was ridiculous and it makes me not like him. He goes from pretty good dude and sports savant to a clown in interviews. It’s maddening. And he’s too much of a nerd to adjust his behavior even after being called on it dozens of times. 

I hadn’t thought much about this before, but you’re right — he is a terrible interviewer.

I know there is disagreement about Sturm, but a sports talk station needs a sports nerd.  HIs analysis is generally good.  HIs columns for The Athletic are really good. That said, The Hardline combo is just awkward and not getting better.

Sturm is a legit sports nerd, but he led a relatively reclusive life before the Ticket. Uber religious conservative parents, Liberty University, his life experience is low, thus his ability to relate to the non-sports guest is low. He's a nice guy, but not a great interviewer. Dan balanced that out with his low sports/high humor. Dan can thrive without Bob, not sure it will work the other way round.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bob doesn't need a partner, he needs to be in the old Norm solo chair when it's finally Norm's time. Give the station 2 hours of pure sports gravitas and to the point stop forcing him into chemistry situations that will likely never develop as well as the one he had with Dan.  

Then throw Sirois in with Dan and Jake and give them afternoon drive. That threesome is usually pretty entertaining. 

Never happen though

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, RPM said:

Sturm is a legit sports nerd, but he led a relatively reclusive life before the Ticket. Uber religious conservative parents, Liberty University, his life experience is low, thus his ability to relate to the non-sports guest is low. He's a nice guy, but not a great interviewer. Dan balanced that out with his low sports/high humor. Dan can thrive without Bob, not sure it will work the other way round.

Yep. Admittedly I'm not a Bob fan. Never have been. He has the biggest sports brain on the ticket but the least life outside that sports nerd bubble that it's almost sad. He can relate to no one,  whether it is co hosts or guests. He is trying so hard to fit in. But you know who else tries hard?  A steer.  

On 11/21/2020 at 9:33 AM, Surly Bevo said:

Bob doesn't need a partner, he needs to be in the old Norm solo chair when it's finally Norm's time. Give the station 2 hours of pure sports gravitas and to the point stop forcing him into chemistry situations that will likely never develop as well as the one he had with Dan.  

Then throw Sirois in with Dan and Jake and give them afternoon drive. That threesome is usually pretty entertaining. 

Never happen though

I agree in principle but then that would mean what for noon-three?  corby and dongavan?  may as well just air rotten radio every day during that slot. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

None of us should be surprised if Corby is in quarantine at home next week. 

Haha. Absolutely not. Not to mention Danny has an interest in things like bars staying open. Yet he is not on site. So it doesn’t really affect him. Idiocy. 

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

hmmm will definitely check it out.  what’s the premise?  it’s just a p1 that does it, no official affiliation?

Just a dude.  It’s a great listen.  Got me through some shit.  Wish it was back. Lots of Dan highlights.  Can’t believe y’all were all so anti Dan for so long. He’s the best. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

Just a dude.  It’s a great listen.  Got me through some shit.  Wish it was back. Lots of Dan highlights.  Can’t believe y’all were all so anti Dan for so long. He’s the best. 

dan is the best person at the whole station.  bad radio is easily my favorite show of the day.  easily.  I never miss noon-three unless I have to, and it’s all because of dan.  trimming the fat that is bob has allowed dan the freedom to assume his natural form: radio destroyer.  bob has a great reputation but he’s basically useless.  it’s obvious now that dan carried him for 20 years. 

Bob and Dan were fantastic together. It was Gordon v George lite every day. Dan is absolutely the best interviewer they have besides Gordon.  He asks whatever he wants to and isn’t afraid to press.   He’s the best person for Jake to learn from.  We need bad radio in drive time.  That’s the truth. If I had my way it would be corby and Danny in 10-12 if that has to happen. Jake sirois midday in sweet clean noon to three.  Bad radio drive time.  

dr beeper. Suck a dick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RPM said:

Why didn't they spool up Rotten Radio instead of FOX this morning? I had to bail early.

yeah I woke up actually looking forward to rotten radio playing in the background all day.  tuned out immediately when I heard it was fox.  do they not understand what the people want?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

I work overnight and forced to be beaten down by The Ben Maller Show. I ride the Top 10 podcast for as long as I can. But Maller is brutal.

do you do theunticket?  they have about 100 OMG’s (o-deck, muse in the news, gordo’s corner) from 2016-2018ish.  each is usually 40-50 minutes.  I put one of those on whenever I need something to listen to as I don’t really do podcasts.  they’re always good; I just go through them in order.  been through all of them at least twice in the last couple years. 

Edited by futureman
  • Fuck You 1

Oh, I UnTicket. But I stay current with the SportsDay app and it has the Top Ten segments that make up a lot of the unticket stuff. Unticket has gotten user un-friendly for new stuff. Now if I want to hear Danny's doodoo in a cotton field story there's no doubt where I'd look.