If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

Mike’s departure is right on. It was time. The Greggo-Ryner Hardline was the best fucking show ever for a DFW spare like me. They went hard. Corby and Danny were perfect support cast. 
The only time I feel like they reach those halcyon heights is Campound and Fight Night. 
All of the shows feel stale at times but still lightyears ahead of anything else. Id hate to be in charge of figuring out what is next. Because no matter what they do P-1’s will get cross, but its not like we got anything better to do. 

• Like 2

1. Find a new yuck monkey for the musers.
2. Move Gordo to 3-7 with Davey Lane, and Danny producing.
3. Profit.

ETA: I forgot that this scenario leaves out Corby.  I don't care.  He can do tickers or something.

Another ETA:  Maybe force Norm out to pasture and put Jake, Corby, and Donny middays and keep Sirois where he is.

Edited by TriStone

A lot of this probably won't change much until they get the next ratings books. If they're still getting their ass kicked by the Fan like they were in the previous one then they will need fairly big changes. I think if the ratings books weren't so bad for them last time Rhyner might not have walked away. He probably saw that as a sign the schtick is stale and the listeners know it. 

2 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Buy him out then.  Whether it's Norm slurring and spitteling all over the mic, or him saying something stupid while everyone else lays out on him, his show is complete cringe now.

The thing is Boom is pretty damn solid.  I turn it on if I know Norm is out. They have a ready made good show right there if they just get rid of Norm. 

Edited by Junior Miller

27 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yes he is. And by the way you wouldn’t know funny if it hit you in your Cowboys beanie you fucking nerd. 

I agree with you on Corby. I like the guy personally and think he's pretty funny. I just cringe with the OU talk -- and just chuckle when he fights his way through what are supposed to be "his" segments and he's woefully unprepared. Good gig if you can get it.

They aren't moving Donny and Sirois given Norm can barely make it in every month and the home setup has to be a pain for management. At some point very soon, Norm will only be doing ad spots. Speaking of, who gets all of Rhyner's ad buys like Autoflex and Texas Lending?

Edited by mdmost

30 minutes ago, TriStone said:

3. Profit.

ETA: I forgot that this scenario leaves out Corby.  I don't care.  He can do tickers or something.

Another ETA:  Maybe force Norm out to pasture and put Jake, Corby, and Donny middays and keep Sirois where he is.

This thought actually came to mind today. That would be a great show. Gordo, Davey and Corby with Danny producing could be a hell of a show -- The Rant/Orphanage mashup.

• Like 1

I don't mind Corby, I just think he's over his head being a full-time host.  He's best suited in his yuck monkey role doing bits like the Over Cusser and Obvious Man.

I'd love for Gordo to get his own show, but I'd hate to mess with the chemistry of the Musers.  They've been my favorite show since Greggo left the Hardline.

Whatever decision they make, I think they need to posture for the future, because Norm won't be with us forever.  They probably don't want to shuffle the lineup in a big way, only to have to do it in another 2 years.  I've always wondered why the Musers started at 5:30, especially considering the first hour of their show is such a give up besides the O-deck.  They replay interviews and bits from the day prior for fucks sake.  I say move the start time to 6 and extend the show to 11.  Have BaD Radio do 4 hours from 11-3.  Then gather up your all stars from the guys without a show and put them in 3-7.  This would get rid of Norm and Donovan (pipe dream), and give Jake a show with someone with Corby doing bits and Danny producing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Corby's Sooner takes wear me the fuck out but honestly I like him ok outside of that.  I think the hate here is a little over the top.    I don't mind Danny on a limited basis either but he definitely doesn't need his role increased with Mike gone.  He's a lot better in the background.  Surprised at the hate for Donovan above as well.  I've always liked him ok.   Honestly Norm is the only one I really can't handle any more.

I don't hate Donny but do not think he is better with more air time. I loved his role with BAD, not to be a co host. He's ok on Cowboys post game, though. If he still does that. Don't think I listened to any Cowboys post games this year on The Ticket. Not the same without Norm and him arguing with every other caller. While Donny sat back and laughed.

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yes he is. And by the way you wouldn’t know funny if it hit you in your Cowboys beanie you fucking nerd. 

The fact you think he is funny just proves the point you have no clue what funny is asshat.

And Ben from Ben/Skin just tweeted that his new DFW radio show stars in early February.  God I hope it's not on the Ticket.

3. Profit.

Gordo to drive time afternoon as a main host would be glorious.

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

Hey Doocy, I know you have that nighttime sports show but can we also have you wake up at 4:30 5 days a week to do a morning drive show? 

I think doocy films the show during the day, it just airs late.  like the tonight show.  maybe I’m wrong. 

3 hours ago, Assman said:

I've always wondered why the Musers started at 5:30, especially considering the first hour of their show is such a give up besides the O-deck. 

the first segment at 5:35 is almost always good. 

You guys thinking Gordo is going to willingly take on more work must not realize just how plum his job at The Ticket really is. The guy gets a nice salary to work a minimum of 4 segments in a 4 hour period. 

I’m an Austin P1 and never heard The Rant. When was that on and what was the lineup?

I’ve always thought it was Gordon, Corby, Danny and Davey on Saturday mornings? Was it as good as Kasey Studdard’s show or anything featuring Ed Clements’ son?

I’m an Austin P1 and never heard The Rant. When was that on and what was the lineup?

I’ve always thought it was Gordon, Corby, Danny and Davey on Saturday mornings? Was it as good as Kasey Studdard’s show or anything featuring Ed Clements’ son?
The Rant was saturday morning from 10-12 IIRC and was made up of Gordo, Gen X Davey, and Corby. It was the best show to ever bless the airwaves of the little Ticket.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

You guys thinking Gordo is going to willingly take on more work must not realize just how plum his job at The Ticket really is. The guy gets a nice salary to work a minimum of 4 segments in a 4 hour period. 

Not to mention the morning show would crater in about two weeks. 

41 minutes ago, Assman said:
52 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

The Rant was saturday morning from 10-12 IIRC and was made up of Gordo, Gen X Davey, and Corby. It was the best show to ever bless the airwaves of the little Ticket.

It was originally on Friday evenings and then switched from 9-12 on Saturdays after the Tee Box. I think that went on till about 1999. It was normally Davey and Gordo with Corby staying over after his Tee Box duties ended. The extra hour normally consisted of replays of Gordo characters and an always awkward 10 minute live spot with JW from JW Sports Cards and Collectibles where Gordo would read canned questions for JW to answer about what was hot right now at his shop, like Beanie Babies. I have Beanie Babies in my pants, Gordo.

The show moved from 10-12 after the Tee Box was moved up to 8-10. At one point, they would only do one show a month and then finally called it quits after barely doing the one show a month. Davey then started doing the Orphanage with Danny. mdleast always enjoyed this one caller who called right around 11:55 who perfectly captured what it felt like when you had accidentally slept in or missed the show which was "hey, I just woke up, can you start the Rant over"? It was the perfect Gordo vehicle to workshop his characters and general philosophy you get glimpses of today. It also was highly offensive which was a good portion of its charm. There is no way he would do the show now. The best you can hope for is those White Elephant days and roundtables he hosts. 

mdleast can correct me if I got anything wrong. He and TC are the official Rant historians. 

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

I fully realize how good his gig is, I was just throwing out an idea for a can't miss show.  And lol at "take on more work."  As if goofing around on the radio for a few hours a day is some kind of life-draining grind.

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Lobster claw, stoma man, Irving Cares, JFK Jr. , “Hey!! Dill!!”

The Unticket should have some classic Rant bits. 

It was the best radio program ever.

I think it's going to be Jake and Snake. Sure sounded like it was telegraphed at the show close tonight. 

If today was any indication, no one is going to wrestle the mike away from Corby enough to make it work, which is unfortunate because a Jake Snake combo has a bit of potential if they can both stay away from the annoying side of themselves.

It was originally on Friday evenings and then switched from 9-12 on Saturdays after the Tee Box. I think that went on till about 1999. It was normally Davey and Gordo with Corby staying over after his Tee Box duties ended. The extra hour normally consisted of replays of Gordo characters and an always awkward 10 minute live spot with JW from JW Sports Cards and Collectibles where Gordo would read canned questions for JW to answer about what was hot right now at his shop, like Beanie Babies. I have Beanie Babies in my pants, Gordo. The show moved from 10-12 after the Tee Box was moved up to 8-10. At one point, they would only do one show a month and then finally called it quits after barely doing the one show a month. Davey then started doing the Orphanage with Danny. mdleast always enjoyed this one caller who called right around 11:55 who perfectly captured what it felt like when you had accidentally slept in or missed the show which was "hey, I just woke up, can you start the Rant over"? It was the perfect Gordo vehicle to workshop his characters and general philosophy you get glimpses of today. It also was highly offensive which was a good portion of its charm. There is no way he would do the show now. The best you can hope for is those White Elephant days and roundtables he hosts.  mdleast can correct me if I got anything wrong. He and TC are the official Rant historians.          

e8461eeed93b965da5e054e28080c6f4.jpg

This should give anyone unfamiliar with The Rant a general idea of the tone of the show:

Blood Cannons - http://www.theunticket.com/best-of-rant-blood-cannons/

Irving Cares - http://www.theunticket.com/best-of-rant-irving-cares/

Canal Rape - http://www.theunticket.com/best-of-rant-canal-rape/

Lobster Claw Baby Arm - http://www.theunticket.com/best-of-rant-lobster-claws-baby-arm/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

So Gordo and Davey = The Rant = awesome. 

And

Danny and Davey = The Orphanage = awesome. 

Mathematics tells me Davey = awesome. Get that man a host job and six figure salary, stat. 

the Its Just Banter with Davey was excellent, here it is on the UnTicket

http://usave.it/media/rec-zf1hcoA6xX5thGHHQ7Ls.mp3