Best romantic movie

Nicole44

Since my first choice was ingeniously mentioned early, I'll go with The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.  Eminently watchable and all sung, like an opera, but the story is remarkably fresh in that three are no Hollywood endings, and Michel LeGrand's music is the best..  Terrific movie that no one under 40 knows about, but which influenced love stories for decades to come.  Plus... Catherine Denevue...  

When Harry Met Sally may be more in the romantic comedy genre (or rom-com for you younger folks) than pure romance, but it created a formula than many others have tried to duplicate since, and it provides some of the best quotable lines.  And the arc of Harry and Sally's evolving relationship over the course of a decade was a great storyline.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, retread said:

Casablanca

I never saw Casablanca until I dated a girl in Dallas in the late 1990s and she suggested we rent it one night.  With the primary motivation of getting in her pants, I went along with it.  I trudged through what I thought was just a "meh" film, only to get blue balls after an hour of dry humping.  So yeah, I can't say that Casablanca is on my list.

• Like 1

Don't like the movie, but the English patient.  

You can't leave out Casablanca out of the discussion. Captain Louis Renaults man love for Rick of course, greatest unrequited love in all of film history.....

Sid and Nancy.......for the ridiculous.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

I never saw Casablanca until I dated a girl in Dallas in the late 1990s and she suggested we rent it one night.  With the primary motivation of getting in her pants, I went along with it.  I trudged through what I thought was just a "meh" film, only to get blue balls after an hour of dry humping.  So yeah, I can't say that Casablanca is on my list.

Your love story just brought tears to my eyes...so sweet

Thanks.  I've been peddling the screenplay for years, but so far no significant interest. 

I wonder if after you were born and mr and mrs South Austin were looking at their bouncing baby boy they ever thought he would one day write “got blue balls after an hour of dry humping”

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I for damn sure can-not fapp to this...

I'll contrast my Casablanca story with one involving High Fidelity. 

For some reason I had never got around to seeing that movie until 2002 when my girlfriend bought the DVD, as she thought it would be a movie I would really like.  I fell in love with the movie -- Rob Gordon's quirky love journey revolving around his passion for music -- and thought to myself, "This woman really gets me."  That woman eventually became Mrs. South Austin.

Just now, South Austin said:

I'll contrast my Casablanca story with one involving High Fidelity. 

For some reason I had never got around to seeing that movie until 2002 when my girlfriend bought the DVD, as she thought it would be a movie I would really like.  I fell in love with the movie -- Rob Gordon's quirky love journey revolving around his passion for music -- and thought to myself, "This woman really gets me."  That woman eventually became Mrs. South Austin.

So ya got past the whole dry humping part of your life ?  Good for you jack.....

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Another vote for High Fidelity.

Cousins is a very underrated romantic flick.

Cousins is greatness.  I need to rewatch.  It's been a while.

Strictly Ballroom is a great romantic movie.  It's the standard "ugly duckling" who is transformed, but it's Australian and very quirky.

Traditional

When Harry Met Sally

Sleepless in Seattle 

You've Got Mail

Notting Hill

The Notebook

Love Actually

My Girl

Non-Traditional 

Blue is the Warmest Color

Blue Valentine

The Big Sick