Best romantic movie

Nicole44

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

And has maybe the best 9/11 joke of all time. 

Terry: So, uh, 9/11.
[everyone looks at Terry expectantly]
Terry: No, I mean, I’ve always wanted to have a conversation with… about it. With people.
Kumail: You’ve never talked to people about 9/11?
Terry: No, what’s your, what’s your stance?
Kumail: What’s my stance on 9/11? Oh, um, anti. It was a tragedy, I mean we lost nineteen of our best guys.

I'm not particularly traveled, and apart from the generally funny romantic comedies that are all from a man's perspective like the aforementioned High Fidelity (and pretty much everything related to Nick Hornby), I like either the old historical unrequited love stories, just because most love is unrequited, but also like foreign relationship flicks, mostly because the romance steps from the foreign. 

Talk to Her fits this mode.  It was all over the place but the way the story looped around and ended with a very cool look between two of the main actors.  A big old mess like Best of Youth fits that as well.

Speaking of unrequited, everyone always talks about David Lean's big flicks, but his Brief Encounter always stuck with me. 

j15dz2eyfulwcihw3dkt.jpg

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Terry: So, uh, 9/11.
[everyone looks at Terry expectantly]
Terry: No, I mean, I’ve always wanted to have a conversation with… about it. With people.
Kumail: You’ve never talked to people about 9/11?
Terry: No, what’s your, what’s your stance?
Kumail: What’s my stance on 9/11? Oh, um, anti. It was a tragedy, I mean we lost nineteen of our best guys.

How is that funny? It doesn't make any sense. No one who considered them "our guys" would think of them as lost. Quite the opposite, actually. Literally no one in the world could have that opinion outside of maybe the highjackers' families if they didn't share their radical ideology. 

It has the form of a good joke. It sets you up and then throws you a surprise curveball with an ending you didn't see coming. But a good joke should have an internal logic and that one has none. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How is that funny? It doesn't make any sense. No one who considered them "our guys" would think of them as lost. Quite the opposite, actually. Literally no one in the world could have that opinion outside of maybe the highjackers' families if they didn't share their radical ideology. 

It has the form of a good joke. It sets you up and then throws you a surprise curveball with an ending you didn't see coming. But a good joke should have an internal logic and that one has none. 

you are a sad, sad man.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You may be overthinking this.

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

1. He was playing into stereotypes and his deadpan delivery was hilarious.

2. What bschoolprof said. Have a Snickers bar.

Edited by South Austin

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Dude

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Because I'm not racist and my wife is Asian so I've seen it like 2 times. Crazy Rich Asians.

No she doesn't watch me post on Surly.  Okay, maybe she does sometimes...trying to get brownie points.

My favorite part was listening to all of the Asian actors express how much it meant to them to be a part of an all-Asian movie...

...about how they're just as terrible, vapid,  narcissistic, and materialistic as the rest of us.

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

I never saw Casablanca until I dated a girl in Dallas in the late 1990s and she suggested we rent it one night.  With the primary motivation of getting in her pants, I went along with it.  I trudged through what I thought was just a "meh" film, only to get blue balls after an hour of dry humping.  So yeah, I can't say that Casablanca is on my list.

Same thing happened to me with schindler"s list.  Except I closed the deal. While the movie was still playing. I dunno what that says about me and the woman who is still my wife to this day, but there you have it. 

11 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

"Okay."

3Esunshine.Okay.gif.CROP.original-origin

Extremely strong entry. 

Also: crazy. Stupid. Love. Because my wife and I did separate, with kids, and got back together after some extremely immature behavior on my part. 

A million years ago in my first round of being an undergrad at Texas, I went to summer school. When I registered, you could buy a pass for $15 for two double features a week in the theme of The Thirties, Good Times Bad Times. One of the great values of my life. 

I first saw It Happened One Night that summer. The suppressed romance between Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert is so great. The black and white photography of Colbert's face lit by light through a window or in a farm field at night are terrific.

I know there's a generational difference in willingness to see a movie in B&W, but there are some great ones. This movie is a great romantic story.

ps I've never had some I recommended the movie to not like it.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

As I recall, the Sure Thing was great.  Not sure how well it will hold up.

Daphne Zuniga.  Cute.

Funny, she doesn't look Druish

My vote goes to either Love Actually or The Princess Bride

Edited by Catpfish

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

In the category of Hugh Grant romantic movies my wife makes me watch, I much prefer both Bridget Jones’s Diary and Love Actually to Notting Hill.

Sense and Sensibility over that lot. 

I have to also say, after looking at all these, I think I am a lot more tolerant of the authenticity of "historical" romances than I am of modern ones, which I always judge against my own experiences. 

So I may need to vote for Room With a View.  It's really a funny movie built on a pretty standard romantic setup.   

11 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Sense and Sensibility over that lot. 

I have to also say, after looking at all these, I think I am a lot more tolerant of the authenticity of "historical" romances than I am of modern ones, which I always judge against my own experiences. 

So I may need to vote for Room With a View.  It's really a funny movie built on a pretty standard romantic setup.   

About a Boy is pretty good - not sure if a "romance" though. 

Music and Lyrics is cute. 

Murphy’s Romance bc James Garner! •Just set the damn thing on fire•

one of the few Sally Field films where you don’t get so annoyed with her. 

Murphy Jones:
“I'm a widower. That's like catnip to a cat, in a town where the ladies outnumber you ten to one.”