Vince arrested DWI

ToY

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Another apology after 2nd DWI seems hollow...... Wonder if Vince keeps job at UT?? 

Hopefully CDC helps Vince find the right folks to help VY or this story won't have a happy ending.....

Edited by LTtxfan

44 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Not saying VY didn't screw up, but he's right.  Those tests aren't designed for you to pass.

Yes, generally from the very beginning it's best to get the least amount of evidence on audio and video as possible.

Just become a mute and let them do what they are gonna do to you, don't say anything except maybe "lawyer". 

If you don't open your mouth they can't say they smelled it on your breath. 

That whole "anything you say or do will be used against you in court" thing is for real, they will turn whatever into evidence, the less you give them the better. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Not saying VY didn't screw up, but he's right.  Those tests aren't designed for you to pass.

This is really not true. They aren't designed for you to pass if you are impaired. Obviously, there are some people who they aren't effective for. 

My eyes are fucked up so HGN doesn't work on me, but I will take any wager anyone wants that I can pass the Walk and Turn and the One Leg Stand right now.

unfortunately those people that have a posse are generally not the smartest people......yet they are usually the smartest people in their posse so if they decide to fuck up they are going to get the chance to fuck up and the only thing a posse does is give them the opportunity to fuck up with more people.....well in addition to having members of your posse fuck up for you

Fuck off. My posse’s on broadway

46 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

This is really not true. They aren't designed for you to pass if you are impaired. Obviously, there are some people who they aren't effective for. 

My eyes are fucked up so HGN doesn't work on me, but I will take any wager anyone wants that I can pass the Walk and Turn and the One Leg Stand right now.

3 indicators per eye, 8 indicators in the walk and turn, and 4 indicators in the one leg stand...

Yeah, a sober person can mess up a little here and there. But it’s not an automatic pass/fail thing.

Drunk folks hit multiple indicators in each test and most often just completely fuck up the entire thing. 

53 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yes, generally from the very beginning it's best to get the least amount of evidence on audio and video as possible.

Just become a mute and let them do what they are gonna do to you, don't say anything except maybe "lawyer". 

If you don't open your mouth they can't say they smelled it on your breath. 

That whole "anything you say or do will be used against you in court" thing is for real, they will turn whatever into evidence, the less you give them the better. 

I told a cop I'd do the breath test if he agrees to let me go if I passed it.  He declined.  

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is reciting the alphabet backwards really common field sobriety test, or is that just general myth?  

Nope, fake news.  I'm sure it has happened, but it isn't a part of the SFST (standardized field sobriety tests), and I don't think would carry much, if any, weight in court.

I sometimes think the ability of a stone cold sober person to detect intoxication in another person is underrated. It’s pretty easy when you take all the circumstances into account(driving ability, contents of vehicle, immediate smell upon sticking your head in the window, that slurred ass speech, the repeating the same phrases over and over, the bloodshot/glaze eyes, the inability to stand or walk with balance, the inability to tell a coherent story...the fucking up all the tests while your eyes wag back and forth). It all adds up to a pretty clear picture. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Constant said:

I sometimes think the ability of a stone cold sober person to detect intoxication in another person is underrated. It’s pretty easy when you take all the circumstances into account(driving ability, contents of vehicle, immediate smell upon sticking your head in the window, that slurred ass speech, the repeating the same phrases over and over, the bloodshot/glaze eyes, the inability to stand or walk with balance, the inability to tell a coherent story...the fucking up all the tests while your eyes wag back and forth). It all adds up to a pretty clear picture. 

I also think most people don't understand that you don't feel hammered at .08 so they think "man this is a ripoff, I'm not staggering drunk" when they get a DWI, because they don't understand the science behind the impaired decisionmaking and reaction time before you get to feeling blitzed.

In other words, most people think they are "a little buzzed but OK to drive" when that's not true.

4 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I also think most people don't understand that you don't feel hammered at .08 so they think "man this is a ripoff, I'm not staggering drunk" when they get a DWI, because they don't understand the science behind the impaired decisionmaking and reaction time before you get to feeling blitzed.

In other words, most people think they are "a little buzzed but OK to drive" when that's not true.

3500 people die on Texas roadways every year. A 9/11 on our roads every single year. What would that number be if people stopped drinking and driving?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

A friend of mine was taken to jail once.  Didn't have a drink but they thought he was hazy.  Worked in a body shop so I assume the fumes messed him up.

5 minutes ago, Constant said:

3500 people die on Texas roadways every year. A 9/11 on our roads every single year. What would that number be if people stopped drinking and driving?

Eliminating drinking and driving and dicking around on phones and driving would save thousands of Texas lives every year butnaahhhhhhhh gotta get my drank and Facebook on.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is reciting the alphabet backwards really common field sobriety test, or is that just general myth?  

Fake. Hell, how many people can even do this stone cold sober with ease?

They might make you recite the alphabet from a certain beginning and ending point of their choosing. Like C to G. They might make you do the same with numbers, sometimes backwards.

9 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Eliminating drinking and driving and dicking around on phones and driving would save thousands of Texas lives every year butnaahhhhhhhh gotta get my drank and Facebook on.

No disrespect to Mr. Young. I hope he uses his resources to get help. This is a problem that permeates all of society. Athletes, construction workers, cops, doctors, teachers, attorneys...it doesn’t matter. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Constant said:

No disrespect to Mr. Young. I hope he uses his resources to get help. This is a problem that permeates all of society. Athletes, construction workers, cops, doctors, teachers, attorneys...it doesn’t matter. 

have you seen any semblance of a reduction here in dwi since ridesharing came about?

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

have you seen any semblance of a reduction here in dwi since ridesharing came about?

I mean, just my anecdotal experience; no. But I work nights in an area that drinks and drives like its a cultural sin not to, so my experiences are going to be skewed. It’s a huge problem. I’d guess 8/10 motor vehicle crashes from 11pm to 7am are alcohol related at least somewhat. 

But if you yourself, or someone you know has used that service to stay outta that jam then it’s working well enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

I mean, just my anecdotal experience; no. But I work nights in an area that drinks and drives like its a cultural sin not to, so my experiences are going to be skewed. It’s a huge problem. I’d guess 8/10 motor vehicle crashes from 11pm to 7am are alcohol related at least somewhat. 

But if you yourself, or someone you know has used that service to stay outta that jam then it’s working well enough.

i figured. but, then again, there are a lot of fish in that particular sea. i reckon back in my wilder days that probably 7/10 cars on the streets from 9pm on were dwi. there is simply no way for police to handle that sort of number. but i'd bet that if one were to do a statistical analysis, i have to think that rideshare has had a very positive influence.

i posted upthread, i won't drive after a single drink, and that's true these days. $20 ride home is always worth it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Didn't DWIs drop in Austin when Uber came there? And when politics forced them out, DWIs rose?

Cities love DWIs. It is an easy money grab. So many hands in that cookie jar who profit off them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i figured. but, then again, there are a lot of fish in that particular sea. i reckon back in my wilder days that probably 7/10 cars on the streets from 9pm on were dwi. there is simply no way for police to handle that sort of number. but i'd bet that if one were to do a statistical analysis, i have to think that rideshare has had a very positive influence.

i posted upthread, i won't drive after a single drink, and that's true these days. $20 ride home is always worth it. 

Yeah, it has to be making a difference. I just may not be seeing those fruits myself. A little personal responsibility to yourself and fellow man would go a long way too. Driving is a dangerous activity under the most certain conditions. 

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Didn't DWIs drop in Austin when Uber came there? And when politics forced them out, DWIs rose?

Cities love DWIs. It is an easy money grab. So many hands in that cookie jar who profit off them.

I’d argue it’s as much a money pit as it is a money grab. 

Pulled from a random article that I'm not going to bother sharing a link to: 

"In May of 2016, the same month Uber and Lyft made the decision to leave Austin, the monthly rate of drunk driving incidents was down to an average of 358. However, within the first few months of Uber and Lyft’s absence, the number of DUI arrests increased by 7.5 percent from the previous year. In the month of July alone, the city had 476 drunk driving arrests."

5 minutes ago, Eggo said:

"In May of 2016, the same month Uber and Lyft made the decision to leave Austin, the monthly rate of drunk driving incidents was down to an average of 358. However, within the first few months of Uber and Lyft’s absence, the number of DUI arrests increased by 7.5 percent from the previous year. In the month of July alone, the city had 476 drunk driving arrests."

This is what I remembered. Austin's decision makers saw this and forced them out. Can't have ride sharing programs keeping the streets safer. Nope. They need that DWI money train to keep on going. You would think cities would celebrate DWI's being down.

17 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Well that's interesting.  

24 minutes ago, Eggo said:

yeah, and apd chief acevedo stood before the council, iirc, and told them ridesharing was helping. then he went deadly fucking silent on that front. to this day, i wonder who got to him and over what. but it was clear that he thought one thing one day, then stfu about it, despite being a fucking media whore.

37 minutes ago, Constant said:

Speaking from personal experience as a firefighter, I think most people would be absolutely shocked at how many collisions involve at least one person who's been drinking ... any time of day, but yeah, esp later at night.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, and apd chief acevedo stood before the council, iirc, and told them ridesharing was helping. then he went deadly fucking silent on that front. to this day, i wonder who got to him and over what. but it was clear that he thought one thing one day, then stfu about it, despite being a fucking media whore.

He's a politician. It's what they do. 

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

What are they looking for in the eye test?

53 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is what I remembered. Austin's decision makers saw this and forced them out. Can't have ride sharing programs keeping the streets safer. Nope. They need that DWI money train to keep on going. You would think cities would celebrate DWI's being down.

Actually I think it was some dumbass taxi and background check idiots from West Austin. They didn't want the city to pay for the background checks and uber/lyft dickheads wouldn't put the money up for them. 

29 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

What are they looking for in the eye test?

When you have to move your eyes all the way to the side they strain, jumping could be sign of intoxication. Or if you just drank some coffee.... It's a BS test. Don't do it, but if you do, just don't strain your eyes all the way over.

Just now, Zavala said:

When you have to move your eyes all the way to the side they strain, jumping could be sign of intoxication. Or if you just drank some coffee.... It's a BS test. Don't do it, but if you do, just don't strain your eyes all the way over.

This is an ignorant and inaccurate statement. Coffee doesn't cause it. You can't just "not strain your eyes all the way over".  Intoxication causes the natural slight nystagmus to be exaggerated. This can be caused by some other drugs, generally depressants. 

Officers conduct the HGN test either in a well-lit area or with the use of a flashlight, but with the suspect facing away from the police cruiser's flashing lights (and the lights from passing cars), which could skew results. The officer then tells the suspect he or she is going to check their eyes and asks whether they wear contact lenses or have any medical issues that would affect the results. The officer then asks the suspect to follow an object (usually the tip of a pen or pen light), placed 12 to 15 inches away, with only their eyes.

The officer is looking for the following three clues in each eye:

1. Lack of Smooth Pursuit- Does the eye follow the object smoothly as it moves from the center of the face toward the ear, or does it jerk?
2. Distinct Nystagmus at Maximum Deviation - Does the eye have a distinct jerking motion after being held toward the outer edge for four seconds?
3. Onset of Nystagmus Prior to 45 Degrees- As the officer moves the object towards the edge of the suspect's shoulder, does the eye jerk before the object is 45 degrees from the center of the suspect's face?

4 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

This is an ignorant and inaccurate statement. Coffee doesn't cause it. You can't just "not strain your eyes all the way over".  Intoxication causes the natural slight nystagmus to be exaggerated. This can be caused by some other drugs, generally depressants. 

Officers conduct the HGN test either in a well-lit area or with the use of a flashlight, but with the suspect facing away from the police cruiser's flashing lights (and the lights from passing cars), which could skew results. The officer then tells the suspect he or she is going to check their eyes and asks whether they wear contact lenses or have any medical issues that would affect the results. The officer then asks the suspect to follow an object (usually the tip of a pen or pen light), placed 12 to 15 inches away, with only their eyes.

1. Lack of Smooth Pursuit- Does the eye follow the object smoothly as it moves from the center of the face toward the ear, or does it jerk?
2. Distinct Nystagmus at Maximum Deviation - Does the eye have a distinct jerking motion after being held toward the outer edge for four seconds?
3. Onset of Nystagmus Prior to 45 Degrees- As the officer moves the object towards the edge of the suspect's shoulder, does the eye jerk before the object is 45 degrees from the center of the suspect's face?

I think given the circumstances, this could be an easy fail.  Perp could be nervous, could be overzealous so he may get to the end point before the cop does?

1 minute ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

I think given the circumstances, this could be an easy fail.  Perp could be nervous, could be overzealous so he may get to the end point before the cop does?

Nervousness doesn’t cause nystagmus. Regardless, this test is a small piece of the big picture I painted earlier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

Oops sorry sooner guy I was just repeating generally what a cop has told me when they train them. 

Turns out they don't all go "by the book" as you describe it.

18 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Oops sorry sooner guy I was just repeating generally what a cop has told me when they train them. 

Turns out they don't all go "by the book" as you describe it.

Cool, then it wouldn't be admissible. But your description of it, and what causes it, and how to control/avoid it, was all objectively inaccurate. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

Actually I think it was some dumbass taxi and background check idiots from West Austin. They didn't want the city to pay for the background checks and uber/lyft dickheads wouldn't put the money up for them. 

It was less about the monetary cost of background checks and more about the overall barriers to entry that fuck with the business model of Uber/Lyft. The taxi lobby was pissed that random joe who had a decent car and smartphone could submit for a comprehensive background check, meet with a company rep (to verify license and vehicle), and get approved to drive in less than a week. They pushed to require rideshare drivers go to a government building and do fingerprints to be run, which is a really archaic way of determining if someone is dangerous or not. Whether or not someone has something to hide, no casual uber/lyft driver is going to go through all that bullshit to drive for a few hours on the weekend, so they're basically forcing rideshare to become professional taxi drivers, undermining the whole point of people with nice cars that don't smell like cigarettes and body odor. 

Anyway, the state legislature just rewrote the law so municipalities couldn't make their own rules and Lyft and Uber came back. 

Source: I drove for Lyft and Uber in Austin for a time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What's the general thought process on the hate regarding DUI/DWI stops?  I am asking out of ignorance.  I haven't had to deal with one.  I'm a drunk, but I drink at home like god intended.  Is it that .08 is too low, or tests have too many false positives, or just general cop hate?

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Eggo said:

It was less about the monetary cost of background checks and more about the overall barriers to entry that fuck with the business model of Uber/Lyft. The taxi lobby was pissed that random joe who had a decent car and smartphone could submit for a comprehensive background check, meet with a company rep (to verify license and vehicle), and get approved to drive in less than a week. They pushed to require rideshare drivers go to a government building and do fingerprints to be run, which is a really archaic way of determining if someone is dangerous or not. Whether or not someone has something to hide, no casual uber/lyft driver is going to go through all that bullshit to drive for a few hours on the weekend, so they're basically forcing rideshare to become professional taxi drivers, undermining the whole point of people with nice cars that don't smell like cigarettes and body odor. 

Anyway, the state legislature just rewrote the law so municipalities couldn't make their own rules and Lyft and Uber came back. 

Nice thanks for the insight. I remembered it was some bullshit like that but not the exact specifics. Taxi drivers are complete shit in Austin I hope they are all completely gone from the city. They charge too much, are rude, cars are smelly, and they aren't fucking reliable at all. 

I wasn't a huge fan of Uber/Lyft until I started actually using it, and holy shit it's inexpensive, fast, convenient, and always pleasant. 

I was more of a drive myself kind of guy until I realized how good Lyft is and now I can kill my liver more.

21 hours ago, Eggo said:

Any good stories?

2 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Any good stories?

Gave country singer Margo Price a ride to one of her shows on East Cesar Chavez during SXSW a few days before she played Stephen Colbert. We shared stories of both growing up on Midwestern farms....

And then she flew to Aspen and out of my life.  

Spoiler

MargoPrice_0120_DM_copy.59e66bab1fb2e.jp

• Like 3