NBA All Star Weekend 2019

Goo Punch

DSJ has better dunks on instagram.  They make it too complicated with props and celebrities.  There are multiple points of failure on most of these dunks.  Dominique throwing down a windmill tomahawk dunk would walk away the title today, and most of these guys could probably do that.  Get off my lawn.

The dunk contest needs to be filled with guys who can legitimately make every dunk on the first try. Diallo, Lavine, Gordon, Derrick Jones Jr, Gerald Green, Shannon Brown, Jason Richardson, etc. And they need to fucking wake up and start using decimal points. It's so obvious it's dumb. 

Edited by Goo Punch

The real way to fix the dunk contest is to fill it with actual stars. Imagine how much more exciting it would be if Westbrook, LeBron, Embiid, Giannis, DeRozan and KAT were in the dunk contest. Even if the dunks were not quite as great, seeing these guys compete would be great. That is what it was like with MJ.

46 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

MJ did it, Dr.J did it, Kobe did it, but LeBron felt he was above doing it for some unknown reason. All he had to do was participate once, get a bunch of 50's, and call it a career. It's super weak of him to have never participated. 

He's the same guy who confiscated video of some guy dunking on him at his camp. He was obviously too chickenshit to compete and risk losing a one on one battle on such a public stage, so he totally avoided it. I think it's absolute bullshit for all these "stars" to grow up watching their heroes like Jordan, Dominique, Vince Carter, etc provide them entertainment and fun during allstar weekend then turn around and not do the same for their fans and the next generation of kids. Whatever happened to being stewards and ambassadors of the sport? I'll never forget watching Spud Webb and Domonique battle in reunion arena as a kid. That was one of the true highlights of my childhood.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He's the same guy who confiscated video of some guy dunking on him at his camp. He was obviously too chickenshit to compete and risk losing a one on one battle on such a public stage, so he totally avoided it. I think it's absolute bullshit for all these "stars" to grow up watching their heroes like Jordan, Dominique, Vince Carter, etc provide them entertainment and fun during allstar weekend then turn around and not do the same for their fans and the next generation of kids. Whatever happened to being stewards and ambassadors of the sport? I'll never forget watching Spud Webb and Domonique battle in reunion arena as a kid. That was one of the true highlights of my childhood.  

Sure he's a prima donna but come on...ambassador of the sport.  Quick without looking who won the won the dunk contest 8 years ago?  Nobody really cares that much.  

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

LeBron is not the most flexible guy in the world. Most of his dunks would end being boring power dunks. I understand why he wouldn’t want to get embarrassed by some dude.

That's why he should have done it his 1st and 2nd year.  

I understand established stars not wanting to do it,  but if you are on your rookie contract,  you better do it.  In fact I'm surprised participating in these   things aren't part of their shoe deals.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HookEm said:

The real way to fix the dunk contest is to fill it with actual stars. Imagine how much more exciting it would be if Westbrook, LeBron, Embiid, Giannis, DeRozan and KAT were in the dunk contest. Even if the dunks were not quite as great, seeing these guys compete would be great. That is what it was like with MJ.

i disagree completely

they just need to get rid of all the props.   if you cant do it with just the ball and maybe someone tossing it to you then you shouldnt be doing it.    that airplane and the airmen just standing around were stupid and useless

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

That's why he should have done it his 1st and 2nd year.  

I understand established stars not wanting to do it,  but if you are on your rookie contract,  you better do it.  In fact I'm surprised participating in these   things aren't part of their shoe deals.  

MJ was different cause he had his own signature shoes in his 2nd yr.  most of the rookies now are just wearing manufacturer's hoops shoe of the season.   them winning a dunk contest in those isnt moving the meter

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Sure he's a prima donna but come on...ambassador of the sport.  Quick without looking who won the won the dunk contest 8 years ago?  Nobody really cares that much.  

Nobody caring anymore is a direct consequence of how the stars have treated allstar weekend over the last 20+ years. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn