NBA All Star Weekend 2019

Goo Punch

8 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

LeBron is not the most flexible guy in the world. Most of his dunks would end being boring power dunks. I understand why he wouldn’t want to get embarrassed by some dude.

Pretty much. He did the McDonald's All-American slam dunk contest in high school. He won easily, but, from what I can recall, he did 3 or 4 variations of his standard fast break, arm outstretched behind his head, power slam. It was impressive as hell seeing an 18 year old guy his size put his forehead at the rim, and almost break the basket, but that wouldn't be enough in an NBA slam dunk contest.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty much. He did the McDonald's All-American slam dunk contest in high school. He won easily, but, from what I can recall, he did 3 or 4 variations of his standard fast break, arm outstretched behind his head, power slam. It was impressive as hell seeing an 18 year old guy his size put his forehead at the rim, and almost break the basket, but that wouldn't be enough in an NBA slam dunk contest.

when was his rookie year? 2003 or 2004? back then the dunks still weren't all that advanced (unless you were Vince Carter), and the hype surrounding LeBron would have been amazing. The people would be drooling over his every dunk, because I can guarantee you that he had five or six dunks that he could pull off every single time that were still impressive as hell. two handed power windmills, tomahawk dunks from outside the lane, the types of dunks that look amazing on replay and in photos. and when you throw them down first time with LeBron's power it's all the more impressive. I think he would have destroyed it on his first go and then could have retired from the competition for good. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

when was his rookie year? 2003 or 2004? back then the dunks still weren't all that advanced (unless you were Vince Carter), and the hype surrounding LeBron would have been amazing. The people would be drooling over his every dunk, because I can guarantee you that he had five or six dunks that he could pull off every single time that were still impressive as hell. two handed power windmills, tomahawk dunks from outside the lane, the types of dunks that look amazing on replay and in photos. and when you throw them down first time with LeBron's power it's all the more impressive. I think he would have destroyed it on his first go and then could have retired from the competition for good. 

Not to mention young Lebron could jump high as fuck and would have numerous photos of him looking down at the rim. Those shots alone would've been jaw dropping. 

Lebron was no more inflexible than a guy like Dominique or Blake. He'd be slotted in the power dunker category which has always produced dunk champions over the years. The biggest benefit of a guy like Lebron participating is it wouldve dissuaded guys like Westbrook and other high flyers from skipping out on dunk contests over the years. Imagine next year if, for some reason, Zion up and decides he's above participating in dunk contest. His lack of participation would effectively kill the dunk contest for years to come. And that ultimately, is what Lebron did in taking it from it's recent peak years just 3 years before he entered the league to it being a non factor until Blake participated in it 8 years later. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

True. Putting the ball through cleanly and with power is what really makes a dunk stand out, IMHO I don't care if you do a 720 before that if hits the rim twice. LeBron would have stood out in that regard in any year not featuring Vince Carter.

14 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Not to mention young Lebron could jump high as fuck and would have numerous photos of him looking down at the rim. Those shots alone would've been jaw dropping. 

Zion is the first thing 2003 LeBron to capture basketball fans' imaginations like this. Unprecedented athleticism on such a huge frame. Simply awe inspiring. 

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok trying to remember my younger years but didn’t they use to hold the all star game on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 on nbc? I vaguely remember it being then before everything had to be primetime at 7:30-8 for everything. Anyone 40 like me and grew up with the nba on nbc and can verify my memory?

yep, it used to be in the mid afternoon during most of the 80s.    They moved it evening the in early 90s.   And yes it should be at the latest 5:00PM.    Shouldn't have to stay up late on a Sunday night for this.

All of these things have turned into ridiculous spectacles.    They need to tone down most of the BS.

Edited by d2o

1 minute ago, d2o said:

yep, it used to be in the mid afternoon during most of the 80s.    They moved it evening the in early 90s.   And yes it should be at the latest 5:00PM.    Shouldn't have to stay up late on a Sunday night for this.

i think the move to night time is more recent than that.  i vividly remember watching the all star game on a sunday afternoon (the one where stephon marbury went crazy in the last couple of minutes and won it for the east) when i was still in high school and i graduated in 2001.

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok trying to remember my younger years but didn’t they use to hold the all star game on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 on nbc? I vaguely remember it being then before everything had to be primetime at 7:30-8 for everything. Anyone 40 like me and grew up with the nba on nbc and can verify my memory?

I think NBC took over the NBA around 92 or so. Definitely by Jordan's first championship, but all of the Lakers and Celtics runs were on CBS. 

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

i think the move to night time is more recent than that.  i vividly remember watching the all star game on a sunday afternoon (the one where stephon marbury went crazy in the last couple of minutes and won it for the east) when i was still in high school and i graduated in 2001.

Nah, one of my first dates with my wife in 93 we watched the ASG and it was during the evening.