Ozarks (NW Ark) in March

Al_4_ISU

Wife and I will be swinging through the Ozarks on our way to visit friends in Dallas in late March.  We're looking to do some hiking in the Boston Mountains (have some hikes selected), and just wondered if anyone had an experience in that part of the world this time of year.

What's the weather usually like?  Living where we do, we're obviously outfitted for cold, hot and everything in between, but don't want to pack more shit than necessary.

How far along is the foliage?  I was hoping that late March would still be early enough that things weren't fully grown in, limiting views.

Wasn't sure if this was better suited for Travel or Hobbies forum.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, harold said:

It will still be cool then, but not cold.  Foliage definitely will not be fully in.

Anywhere along the Ozarks Highlands trail is a great hike.  Whitaker Point is pretty iconic in that part of the world.

Yeah, we're doing Hemmed-In-Hollow Falls first, and then going to Whitaker Point after that.

Thanks for the info.

I'd expect temperatures ranging from 40-60 F.  You probably won't get severe weather but you might get some rain.  I grew up a couple of hours north of there and definitely recall the 3rd-ish week of March typically being "great" since it was a respite from the shit that had come before.  Some sun and moderate temperatures but still jacket weather.

• Like 1

There’s some really pretty views on the White River from Cotter up to the dam on Bull Shoals. If you like to fish, world renowned trout fishing in those waters. Also if you like to fish, stop in Flippin and tour the new state of the art Vexus Boats manufacturing facility. It’s unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a huge fisherman.

We've got a hotel in Tulsa that night (wife wants to go to the damn Pioneer Woman store the next day), so we'll be moving west from that area.  Through Fayetteville etc.

The amount of day time lingering may also be affected by ISU's spot in the first round of the Dance.  If we're the 11AM tip on Thursday, I realize I'll miss most of the game, but if it's say a late afternoon/Thursday evening game, we might get scooting post-hike.

More than anything, we're scouting the area for a more extended trip at some other point in time.  We like hiking, kayaking, and I'm into mountain biking.  It's a relatively close area to home with a lot of that stuff going on.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Not a huge fisherman.

We've got a hotel in Tulsa that night (wife wants to go to the damn Pioneer Woman store the next day), so we'll be moving west from that area.  Through Fayetteville etc.

The amount of day time lingering may also be affected by ISU's spot in the first round of the Dance.  If we're the 11AM tip on Thursday, I realize I'll miss most of the game, but if it's say a late afternoon/Thursday evening game, we might get scooting post-hike.

More than anything, we're scouting the area for a more extended trip at some other point in time.  We like hiking, kayaking, and I'm into mountain biking.  It's a relatively close area to home with a lot of that stuff going on.

You poor bastard.

2 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

firewater?

I'm not from there, but the weather nerd in me knows that area is still in the zone for ice and snow storms at that time of year. Especially with added elevation. Just FYI.

We can get bad weather in late March too (but it's rare), so I figured it was a possibility with the added elevation.  If the odds of a snow/ice storm are the same as ours at that time, I'm good with it.

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We can get bad weather in late March too (but it's rare), so I figured it was a possibility with the added elevation.  If the odds of a snow/ice storm are the same as ours at that time, I'm good with it.

We go up there a few times a year (son in school there).  We were there the last weekend of March last year — it snowed (not much, but it snowed).

NW Arkansas has world class mountain biking. Fayetteville, Rogers area.  They have a big network of trails and have turned into a serious mountain biking destination in recent years. I haven’t been there to ride yet but it’s on the list.  Temps should be 40s to 60s. 

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

NW Arkansas has world class mountain biking. Fayetteville, Rogers area.  They have a big network of trails and have turned into a serious mountain biking destination in recent years. I haven’t been there to ride yet but it’s on the list.  Temps should be 40s to 60s. 

I’ve heard this, and it’s something I will be keeping an eye on.  I just didn’t want to drag my bike along this time.

For hiking in Arkansas, check out one of Tim Ernst guide books:

http://timernst.com/Products/AHT.html

I’m originally from Tulsa and wish I could offer some advice with regard to restaurants but too many years away to offer any accurate recommendations.  Utica Square area neighborhood and Philbrook Museum are really nice that time of year as all the dogwoods and redbuds should be in full bloom.  Philbrook is an incredible place.

Pawhuska isn’t much to write home about but surrounding area is really nice.  The Nature Conservancy’s tallgrass prairie preserve is near there and Ted Turner’s ranch is close by.  They both have large buffalo herds and it’s a good place to drink firewater and yell “Tatonka!”

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, there is a pretty good barbeque place in Fayetteville called Wright Barbeque.  Much more Cen-Tex style than southern style (other than teh beans, which are sweet but pretty good).  Worth checking out if you are in Fayetteville. They started as a truck and then opened a brick and mortar a little over a year ago:

http://wrightsbarbecue.com/

2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

By the way, there is a pretty good barbeque place in Fayetteville called Wright Barbeque.  Much more Cen-Tex style than southern style (other than teh beans, which are sweet but pretty good).  Worth checking out if you are in Fayetteville. They started as a truck and then opened a brick and mortar a little over a year ago:

http://wrightsbarbecue.com/

We'll be swinging through on Thursday afternoon and probably stopping for a beer and a bite.  Appreciate the rec.

On the mountain biking, I have heard repeatedly that although early spring temps can be mild during the day, the freeze/thaw cycle makes a mess of the trails.

Likely. That’s exactly what happens to us. We lose a minimum of 2-3 weeks of awesome riding temps because of the freeze-thaw cycle.

It can happen during a staggered winter/fall transition too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Every time I've been to Whitaker Point it has been covered up with people. 

There was a decent crowd coming and going, but everyone was taking turns and letting people do the group or solo shots they wanted.

It was getting busier as we got back to the car.

7 hours ago, Gambrinus said:

Have hiked to Whitaker Point, aka Hawksbill Crag, twice. Have a daughter (no pics) going to piggy. Both times in early November. Fall colors were spectacular. Computers are challenging--trying to add pics (not of daughter)

You're new, so I'll cut you some slack. But we have rules here dammit.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread - wife and I visiting my dad (who's going to outlive Willie and Keith Richards, but definitely not AB) the second week of September.  We defintely plan on Wrights BBQ (drive thru) and Whitaker Point, just wondering if there's anything more to do up there for 2.5 days?

On 8/16/2020 at 6:13 AM, Grippe said:

Bumping this thread - wife and I visiting my dad (who's going to outlive Willie and Keith Richards, but definitely not AB) the second week of September.  We defintely plan on Wrights BBQ (drive thru) and Whitaker Point, just wondering if there's anything more to do up there for 2.5 days?

Hemmed in Hollow is awesome.  I posted some pics up thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2020 at 6:13 AM, Grippe said:

Recommend Crystal Bridges and downtown Bentonville.  That can easily eat up an entire day.  Great restaurants off the square.

• Hook 'Em 1

One more thing.  As mentioned before, Wright’s BBQ is very Texas centric but the complete shits.    On par with anything in Lockhart or Austin.  (Good story behind the guy, actually.)

They’re opening a second location in downtown Bentonville which should be open by your September visit.

PM if any other questions.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...