family car talk not going away

Brisketexan

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hey, you ever try finding parts for an amc eagle?

Dude...you can turn the Eagle into an off-road BEAST.

photobucket-11684-1336101186826.jpg

And when I was about 10, I tried to convince my parents to buy one, because it's like a practical station wagon, but IT'S AN OFF ROAD BEAST!  My lobbying was unsuccessful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude...you can turn the Eagle into an off-road BEAST.

photobucket-11684-1336101186826.jpg

And when I was about 10, I tried to convince my parents to buy one, because it's like a practical station wagon, but IT'S AN OFF ROAD BEAST!  My lobbying was unsuccessful.

Guy in my neighborhood has one as his daily driver. It’s like the perfect Wyoming grocery getter. 

3db11e35dce18ddbe75dc60d677583a3.jpg

hunt for

ogres and dwarves

lion-slicer

run...with...death

We had a guy at my high school who has a similar car. It was a Plymouth Valiant that had push buttons for the transmission. It had no trunk, hood or glove compartment door. two of the doors were different colors and the drivers window was always down so I don’t know if it had one or not. We called it “concealed weapon” lulz. /csb

55bbda821117d02f0fbb78a106f95101.jpg

fd12e2fcfe9e6ea79fe2fbf29b9b19d3.jpg

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

We somehow ended up with this.  Yes it was yellow and I had to ride in the rear-facing seat.

had to?
HAD to?

My cousins had a station wagon & everybody wanted to ride in the rear facing seat. Better view, and further away from Uncle Stas, so he couldn't hit you when you were acting up.

You were riding in luxury and you didn't even know it, who cares about safety and things like that {smdh}

9 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

had to?
HAD to?

My cousins had a station wagon & everybody wanted to ride in the rear facing seat. Better view, and further away from Uncle Stas, so he couldn't hit you when you were acting up.

You were riding in luxury and you didn't even know it, who cares about safety and things like that {smdh}

Well yeah, it probably was the best seat except for the gassy dachsund that rode back there with us, and the fact that my dad smoked without rolling down the windows.  But we did get to give cars the finger without pops seeing us.

• Like 1

20422348999_89fa774cae_b.jpg

The 1976 Plymouth Volare' station wagon.  With the Slant 6 engine.  0 to 60 timed with a sundial.  More of a burgundy color than this one.  With the matching color pleather/vinyl seat.  Still have scars on the back of my legs from burns resulting from hopping in the back seat of this beast during the middle of the goddamn summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

20422348999_89fa774cae_b.jpg

The 1976 Plymouth Volare' station wagon.  With the Slant 6 engine.  0 to 60 timed with a sundial.  More of a burgundy color than this one.  With the matching color pleather/vinyl seat.  Still have scars on the back of my legs from burns resulting from hopping in the back seat of this beast during the middle of the goddamn summer.

My first ride -- except it wasn't the Grand, it was the regular, no-frills:

c502ed747dffaaa9243a84ae33736f22.jpg

1979 Mercury Marquis.  Except mine was in full fucking aggy maroon.  Vinyl bench seats, front and back.  Dad helped me install a Panasonic AM/FM radio with tape deck (because dad only went for the AM radio option when he bought it - then he handed it down to me).  Could take 11 people to the beach (5 in front, 6 in back), and a jillion cases of beer in the trunk.  Name was The Mean Machine.  The fact that I had plenty of dates in high school, driving that POS, tells you that motherfucker, I had GAME.

Edited by Brisketexan

This is my favorite thread derail ever. So many memories.

Dad had one of these motherfuckers. As a kid, if it was parked on any sort of side incline that meant you had to compete with gravity to get the door open well...you were not getting out of the car. I used to sit on the hood with my friend and shoot doves.

13229996-1977-chevrolet-monte-carlo-std_

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

we ended up getting this monster in 1983.  I loved the rear facing seats, i would fight with my 2 younger brothers to be able to sit back there and wave at all the other cars driving towards us

parents started calling it the battlestar gallactica after a while.

9770566254_50f9de5901_b.jpg

damn thing kinda fell apart after 5 years and my parents traded it in for a caravan.

• Like 1

My dad bought a Mercedes.  (It was only a 240 Diesel.)  Friends gave him crap about buying a Mercedes, but he said it was going to last 200K+ miles.  He was driving 150+ miles a day for his job and he ended up making the loan payments using nothing but mileage reimbursements.  He finally got rid of it when it had 400K miles.  My dad was smart as hell about spending large amounts of money.  

My first car in 1998 was a 1969 Mercedes 220D. My folks paid $2,000 for it. No a/c, zero to sixty in about an hour and a half, great first kid car. Glow plug. Vapor locked if you ran it out of diesel (did that twice). Hard to get into too much trouble (though I did, bottomed it out on thrill hill an peeled the plug out of the oil pan, almost locked up the motor). I put in a sweet Kenwood stereo with a portable CD player holder that skipped like hell.

15 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

we ended up getting this monster in 1983.  I loved the rear facing seats, i would fight with my 2 younger brothers to be able to sit back there and wave at all the other cars driving towards us

parents started calling it the battlestar gallactica after a while.

9770566254_50f9de5901_b.jpg

damn thing kinda fell apart after 5 years and my parents traded it in for a caravan.

We had the exact same one...took that sucker all over the US.  

Before this one we had the same model but 10 year earlier model.  Green with the brown paneling.  

Edited by midtown

15 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

This is my favorite thread derail ever. So many memories.

Dad had one of these motherfuckers. As a kid, if it was parked on any sort of side incline that meant you had to compete with gravity to get the door open well...you were not getting out of the car. I used to sit on the hood with my friend and shoot doves.

13229996-1977-chevrolet-monte-carlo-std_

Did it have the drivers seat that rotated 90 degrees left to assist ingress and egress?

First vehicle I bought was a Chevy Van similar to this one but in a different color, had all kinds of plans to customize it and got as far ar carpeting the interior, installing a Capt. chair and foldable sofa in back before selling it.  Have always been a fan of custom/tricked out vans going back to the 70s. 

81e3311eb454eeda9d55f3024a5f19c3--surf-v

Bought a Ford conversion later on for our family trips in late 90s, loved that thing and wished we still had it, gas guzzler and all. 

Edited by Underdog

18 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

1988-1992 this motherfucker is what we drove around in.  Probably my favorite suburban my dad ever owned.  Only model of vehicle he drove my entire life.

15413883_large.jpg

I still remember these bad boys. Rode from Dallas to Monterrey in one. AC went out around San Antonio and it was hell 

1 hour ago, BlueGreySky said:

1988-1992 this motherfucker is what we drove around in.  Probably my favorite suburban my dad ever owned.  Only model of vehicle he drove my entire life.

15413883_large.jpg

Grandparents had a Good Times conversion package of this era suburban. 

Same time, my other grandparents had this 

12057655714_2d7070b6cd_z.jpgwith a ridiculous plush interior.  My usual riding spot was laying above the back seat.

the dash was a wall of wood or fake wood, and the trunk open button was inside the glove box where the driver couldn’t reach.

so I too know the feeling of not being able to open a door against gravity.

Edited by Pato del Muerto