family car talk not going away

Brisketexan

I'll play.  

When I was born, my folks brought me home from the hospital in a car substantially similar to this (sans runner board chrome).  It was later my first car.  Sits in my garage awaiting its' second resto:

1965-ford-mustang-coupe-vintage-burgandy]

When my brother was born, we got one of these.  It was a total piece of shit:

0455be2e51ea71fb1ac68746c5b591c7.jpg

Followed by:

Oldsmobile-Cutlass-Supreme.jpg

Then it was Crown Vics from about 1988 on.  

And we had a fancy conversion van for my Dad to drive his band around in.

5068063.jpg

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Were any of your folks brand loyalists? My dad wouldn't own a GM car, we only had Fords and Chryslers when I was growing up. That trickled down to me as well, I've never owned any GM cars either. I've had mostly Fords, with a few Hondas sprinkled in.

my grandmother was a lincoln loyalist.  she'd trade in for the latest one about every 3 years. 

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Were any of your folks brand loyalists? My dad wouldn't own a GM car, we only had Fords and Chryslers when I was growing up. That trickled down to me as well, I've never owned any GM cars either. I've had mostly Fords, with a few Hondas sprinkled in.

Grandfather was a Buick man. 

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

My grandfather has owned dodge/Chrysler for as long as I can remember.  My dad was too, but went solid Toyota for the last 25 years or so.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Grew up rolling around in this:

2db9356995863a4c0056ac721ae091e3.jpg

A good friend's family had a '68 T&C wagon. That thing was a battleship. Even had auxillary a/c unit in the back. Notice where the gas cap is. That whole quarterpanel is the tank. You could hear the gas sloshing around sitting in the back. I'd hate to get t-boned in one of those.

maxresdefault.jpg

All Chevy all the time due to an old family friend with a dealership. The old Mercedes I mentioned earlier came from his used car lot.

When I totaled my Nissan 200SX in college he loaned me a ‘84 Cutlass that was silver with a purple door. I had it less than 24 hours before it was stolen out of my driveway.

• 2 weeks later...

1972 Ford Econoline. Outfitted with dual gas tanks which got us through the late 70's gas shortage hellhole which was Houston. My Dad tuned it later with a 302 crate motor, Edelbrock intake, 4 barrel Holley carb and dual exhaust. It was my first car in 1992. I took these pics before I sold it in 2013. Sad day:

IMG-0401.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg

• Like 3

my dad got one of these things right after we moved to texas, sometime in 83 or maybe 84.

" This ad agency could have done this same ad with Mr.Civic or Mr.Corolla or Mr.B210 and it would not have made one lick of difference, because the Tredia is a perfect, generic placeholder car. "

https://jalopnik.com/meh-car-monday-im-not-certain-i-didnt-just-make-up-the-1829281092

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve never heard older folks say they’d never buy a bmw because of their war history, but I’ve known several that would never buy a Mitsubishi for that reason. 

my grandfather flew in the US navy in WWII.  i don't know for certain that he ever came across a nakajima over the pacific, but he sure loved his subarus.  awd worked great for getting to the deer/bird/fish camp in the UP/WV.

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, smuggs said:

1972 Ford Econoline. Outfitted with dual gas tanks which got us through the late 70's gas shortage hellhole which was Houston. My Dad tuned it later with a 302 crate motor, Edelbrock intake, 4 barrel Holley carb and dual exhaust. It was my first car in 1992. I took these pics before I sold it in 2013. Sad day:

IMG-0401.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 7:17 PM, Sbbruin said:

This was my first car same year- 71- and color).  Got it with 184,000 miles on it.  Got rid of it at 238K.  Of course, this was when odometers only went to 99,999.  I loved that car.

d2490647abbef11705391449bc3e20be.jpg

Had the same car blue '67. Dittos for loving it, but the Volkswagen Beetle tried to murder people like it was Christine. After about two years, the heat exchanger would develop holes and pump pure carbon monoxide into the passenger compartment. Fuel line ran directly over the air cooled engine and would rot from heat and drip gasoline onto the block, causing a fire, if you didn't change that. Hood latches on the front trunk never worked, and the only thing between you and the other car in a collision was the gas tank. 

Ever been in one of those on the highway when an eighteen wheeler passed going the other direction? Grip the seat with your butt cheeks and get a death grip on the steering wheel, cause you were shifting about eighteen inches to the side. And we loved that car that tried to murder us. Probably explains some of my early dating relationships. 

On 2/8/2019 at 1:08 PM, LW Goatman said:

Mom thought she was getting a Cadillac, dad brought home this, the Chrysler Fifth Avenue. The biggest mechanical piece of shit I've ever been around.

1982_Chrysler_Fifth_Avenue_1.24.18.jpg

My dad's 1981 Cadillac Seville diesel would like to have a word with you.  He only had it roughly 6 months.  In that time, it left him stranded on the side of the road at least 6 times.  My only memory of that car is watching it being towed away.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

Had the same car blue '67. Dittos for loving it, but the Volkswagen Beetle tried to murder people like it was Christine. After about two years, the heat exchanger would develop holes and pump pure carbon monoxide into the passenger compartment. Fuel line ran directly over the air cooled engine and would rot from heat and drip gasoline onto the block, causing a fire, if you didn't change that. Hood latches on the front trunk never worked, and the only thing between you and the other car in a collision was the gas tank. 

Ever been in one of those on the highway when an eighteen wheeler passed going the other direction? Grip the seat with your butt cheeks and get a death grip on the steering wheel, cause you were shifting about eighteen inches to the side. And we loved that car that tried to murder us. Probably explains some of my early dating relationships. 

Ha, I DID have an engine fire.  Probably from what you described.  I don't remember.

IMG-0401.jpg
IMG-0402.jpg

That van looks sweet!
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, smuggs said:

IMG-0401.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg

I was in the Coast Guard with a guy that had one of those. A bunch of us used to rent a house off base and commute across Seattle in that van. I swear Cocaine would come on the radio every GD time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2019 at 10:34 AM, Sbbruin said:

We had this Ford.  Rear facing fold-up seats in the back.  I remember puking out of the back at about 5 yo in Mexico.

2a03676d747399bc2934f0486bb39f85.jpg

We had a '71 ('72?) Country Squire.  Exact same color, too.  Dad drove us across the border to Tijuana on vacation in '72.  Didn't puke, but my sister got the shits because she drank iced tea (ice=Mexican water).

On 2/26/2019 at 12:56 PM, Richard Kimball said:

The Karmann Ghia did this to me as well.  

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Did you get kidnapped and end up at the Titty Twister where Selma Hayek turned into a zombie snake monster along with all the rest of the people at the club?

I was 11, and The Candy Man was on the radio every fucking hour that whole trip.  My dad probably would have paid someone to kidnap us if it meant he could listen to something other than Top 40 AM radio for 2 goddamn weeks.  That and me begging him to exit for every Golden Arches west of the Continental Divide.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:40 AM, smuggs said:

IMG-0401.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg

On 2/26/2019 at 8:40 AM, smuggs said:

IMG-0401.jpg

IMG-0402.jpg