family car talk not going away

Brisketexan

1 hour ago, BlueGreySky said:

1988-1992 this motherfucker is what we drove around in.  Probably my favorite suburban my dad ever owned.  Only model of vehicle he drove my entire life.

15413883_large.jpg

we had the exact same one.  it was my dad's first sub and it's all he"s driven since.

first car i remember my parents having was a late 70s or early 80s bonneville.  hand-me-down from my grandparents who'd traded up to lincolns.  red with a red interior.  absolutely hideous.  i can still smell the dried vomit. 

probably looked a lot like this

1977_pontiac_bonneville-pic-776379770941

On 2/7/2019 at 2:04 PM, llanoflash said:

index.jpg

my mom was proud of this baby. had leather(vinyl), bad ass stereo (8 track) and was automatic!

/CSB:  My buddy had one of these in HS.  He called me asked me to come look at it after it started making a loud noise while driving on the other side of town.  He drove it home making the noise.  Took a look under the hood, and found chunk of camshaft about two lobes long laying in there, and a corresponding hole in the side of the engine.  /CSB.

We had one of these beasts...1973 LeSabre coupe with the exact opposite color scheme. Dark brown paint and a light tan vinyl top that looked shitty because we lived in Port Arthur and soot from the refinery flares fell on the damn thing all the time. . Each door weighed 700 lbs (or so it seemed). My Grandfather drove the same model year Regal, which was only slightly smaller. I inherited the Regal first, and when I killed the transmission, I drove this until they bought me a Mustang my sr year of High School. (84 'stang in 88). You could put about a dozen kids in this thing for a beach run, but you couldn't put shit in the trunk because the whole bottom of the trunk had rusted through. You could step over the back bumper and right back on the ground where the trunk was supposed to be. 

ch1013-166678_2@2x.jpg?1380664951000

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first new car my dad ever bought was a Ford Torino wagon, which I don't even remember as I was just a toddler. I do remember our 75 or 76 Plymouth Volare (blue with a white vinyl top) and the 78 Pinto wagon (3 door, of course). We ditched the Volare when Dad got orders to Germany in 1980, drove the Pinto from California to NJ and put it on the boat. Dad drove the Pinto until 1985, then he gave it to mom and bought a new Plymouth Reliant wagon. Dad donated the Pinto to the MWR program in 1986 (when we left) and it lived out the rest of it's life in Germany. That fucker lasted at least 10 years, I couldn't believe it.

11 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

1988-1992 this motherfucker is what we drove around in.  Probably my favorite suburban my dad ever owned.  Only model of vehicle he drove my entire life.

15413883_large.jpg

Wow, that looks almost exactly the one my dad had, color and everything. Took it on an epic beach trip. Getting the big third row bench in and out of the back was a pain in the ass. 

My first ride -- except it wasn't the Grand, it was the regular, no-frills:

c502ed747dffaaa9243a84ae33736f22.jpg

1979 Mercury Marquis.  Except mine was in full fucking aggy maroon.  Vinyl bench seats, front and back.  Dad helped me install a Panasonic AM/FM radio with tape deck (because dad only went for the AM radio option when he bought it - then he handed it down to me).  Could take 11 people to the beach (5 in front, 6 in back), and a jillion cases of beer in the trunk.  Name was The Mean Machine.  The fact that I had plenty of dates in high school, driving that POS, tells you that motherfucker, I had GAME.

my first ride...exact same color combo, too.

2f92b870e8ae4d69b3fdbeb18ba82023.jpg

and i still have it.

• Like 2

My first ride:

1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88

Oldsmobile%201969%20delta_TownSedan.jpg

In avocado green metallic with vinyl hardtop.

Thing is, though, it had a 455ci Rocket engine with a 2-bbl carb (310 hp).  The big engine option was a 4-bbl with 10:1 compression that made 390 hp.

In an eighth mile, city block drag race, it would waste early to mid 80s Camaros/Z-28s and Firebirds/TAs.  Would hang with a 79 6.6l TA.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

We had one of these beasts...1973 LeSabre coupe with the exact opposite color scheme. Dark brown paint and a light tan vinyl top that looked shitty because we lived in Port Arthur and soot from the refinery flares fell on the damn thing all the time. . Each door weighed 700 lbs (or so it seemed). My Grandfather drove the same model year Regal, which was only slightly smaller. I inherited the Regal first, and when I killed the transmission, I drove this until they bought me a Mustang my sr year of High School. (84 'stang in 88). You could put about a dozen kids in this thing for a beach run, but you couldn't put shit in the trunk because the whole bottom of the trunk had rusted through. You could step over the back bumper and right back on the ground where the trunk was supposed to be. 

ch1013-166678_2@2x.jpg?1380664951000

My late sister had one exactly like that except a convertible.  It was lost in the great Memorial Day flood 

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My first ride:

1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88

Oldsmobile%201969%20delta_TownSedan.jpg

In avocado green metallic with vinyl hardtop.

Thing is, though, it had a 455ci Rocket engine with a 2-bbl carb (310 hp).  The big engine option was a 4-bbl with 10:1 compression that made 390 hp.

In an eighth mile, city block drag race, it would waste early to mid 80s Camaros/Z-28s and Firebirds/TAs.  Would hang with a 79 6.6l TA.

We had a '68 Delta 88 my mom drove. It was a babyshit yellow color. That fucker was fast though and could a shitload of kids.

A Grand Prix just like this one was the coolest car we had when I was a kid.  I grew up in the country so I got to tear ass around in it all the time.  I was 9 lol.  455 cid 325 hp.  What were my parents thinking?  That thing could hit 130 mph.

It got like 10 miles to the gallon and we traveled from near Coleman to Odessa nearly every weekend so he plumbed in a 30 gallon barrel in the trunk as auxiliary gas tank.  I'm glad we never got rear-ended while I was asleep up on the rear deck.

Image result for 1971 grand prix 455 gold

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

A Grand Prix just like this one was the coolest car we had when I was a kid.  I grew up in the country so I got to tear ass around in it all the time.  I was 9 lol.  455 cid 325 hp.  What were my parents thinking?  That thing could hit 130 mph.

It got like 10 miles to the gallon and we traveled from near Coleman to Odessa nearly every weekend so he plumbed in a 30 gallon barrel in the trunk as auxiliary gas tank.  I'm glad we never got rear-ended while I was asleep up on the rear deck.

Sleeping on the rear deck was a staple of my childhood road trips in badass 'murican iron like this and the Delta 88, and that 75-76 Monte Carlo upthread.  The fuel crisis made short work of those big block V8s, and the various GM 350s were the order of the day until about 76-77, when emission controls choked em all down under 200hp.  GM, and the other two undid about 50 years of great cars from about 77 until around the mid 90s.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

Jesus, some of you guys grew up with some real pieces of shit sitting in the driveway. The only thing missing from this thread is some poor bastard who grew up with a Rambler.

giphy.gif

As a kid, dad drove this....

1968-amc-rambler-american-4-door-3.jpg

Except in puke yellow.  He drove it through a Houston flood one time.  Water got inside, and stood a few inches deep.  He just got home, bailed it out, put some towels on the floor, then left the doors open to air dry.  We drove that goddamned thing to Mexico one time in the summer when I was really little.  Jesus that was a hot trip.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, Ten Bears said:

My mother had one of these when I was a kid.  It was awesome.

Then she had my sister and decided two kids was too much for that thing.  It was one thing to have me crawl into the back seat; it was another to have an infant seat in a two-door.

So she downgraded to the Oldsmobile 98.  I still hate my sister.

1978_Oldsmobile_98_Regency_sedan.jpg

On 2/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, Ten Bears said:

My other grandparents had one of these. Same exterior color, but white leather interior. They sold it before I was of legal driving age and bought a Grand Marquis. 

We had a red 73 Subaru like this that beeped if you didn’t shift exactly right. My dad sold it for new 77 Accord after being on a 7 month waiting list. The Subaru was so in demand - we advertised it in Sunday paper & guy came first thing in morning & said he’d take it while walking up driveway.  

3267761196_013df497ca_z.jpg?zz=1

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:39 PM, Uncle Boobs said:

1980 plymouth horizon. The am radio only worked when you hit the gas pedal. When you slowed down to a stop sign, nothing but static. Speed up and kasey kasum would be delivering the long distance request line.ff7ffdf54e866dca77c108ac985a1e3b.jpg

one of my friend's parents had one of these ....one icy morning on the way to a YMCA basketball game..signal light turned orange, my friend's dad slammed down on the brakes and we slid from the video store past the old Sambo's through the busiest intersection in town ...then when we got to the gym ...the game was of course cancelled ... he high centered that thing on a pile of snow in the parking lot trying to turn around ...it's was an adventure anytime you got in that car with that family,  no idea how any of us lived 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 3:08 PM, LW Goatman said:

Mom thought she was getting a Cadillac, dad brought home this, the Chrysler Fifth Avenue. The biggest mechanical piece of shit I've ever been around.

1982_Chrysler_Fifth_Avenue_1.24.18.jpg

My grandparents had one of those.  

This is my first car.  Zambezi Green.  God it was crap.  I followed the link to the Bring A Trailer auction.  This car cost $3,500 new.

AUCTION RESULTS

Winning Bid USD $15,750
Auction Ended Thursday, August 18 at 4:20pm
Bids 14

1974-VW-Karmann-Ghia-76-2-940x627.jpg

Edited by Bullneck

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

My mother had this sweet, sweet ride, in this exact color. No A/C, stick shift, manual windows, zero window tint. 

Image result for 1979 volkswagen rabbit green

She traded in for a first generation Honda Acura. About 2-3 years later got a call telling saying her car had been impounded and she should come pick it up... 

But my friends parents had this, so um.. I guess I at least felt superior to him:

Image result for 1980 yugo red

Image result for 1980 yugo red

Your friends’ parents had an Italian coupe.  You had no business feeling superior in a Fox. 

45 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Your friends’ parents had an Italian coupe.  You had no business feeling superior in a Fox. 

Uh huh. 2 things here.
1. Just because it's redesigned off an Italian coupe, doesn't remove the stain of Serbo-Croatian engineering.

2. That coupe wasn't an Alfa Romeo, it was a Fiat.  A Fix It Again Tony.  Fiat.

15 minutes ago, Buffsoldier said:

Uh huh. 2 things here.
1. Just because it's redesigned off an Italian coupe, doesn't remove the stain of Serbo-Croatian engineering.

2. That coupe wasn't an Alfa Romeo, it was a Fiat.  A Fix It Again Tony.  Fiat.

My Hungarian father-in-law, who fled the Soviet invasion on foot, loves to dig up videos of Trabants and Ladas on the assembly line because it's so reminiscent of everything horrible and comical about communist Hungary.  There's one with a door-fitter who has a giant mjolnr-hammer that closes a door, does't close, beats on it with the mjolnr, gets better, more beating, closes, off it goes.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

My Hungarian father-in-law, who fled the Soviet invasion on foot, loves to dig up videos of Trabants and Ladas on the assembly line because it's so reminiscent of everything horrible and comical about communist Hungary.  There's one with a door-fitter who has a giant mjolnr-hammer that closes a door, does't close, beats on it with the mjolnr, gets better, more beating, closes, off it goes.

In Georgia, they call that guy a shadetree mechanic.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:22 AM, CHIEF said:

I remember when we bought this off the showroom floor in 1977, same color exterior and interior, same rims, etc...

1977-ford-thunderbird-town-landau

CHIEF

I wanted one of those in midnight black. Wound up with this.

ford-ltd-ii-1977-6.jpg

This 70 LTD was one of the cars my Dad had over the years. We came within inches of dying in it when he forgot it had power steering at 70mph. This pic was taken at the old depot in Matador on the way to Turkey for Bob Wills Day in 1973. Dad testing out his new binoculars he bought at Gibson's. Is the license is FTW 420? God has an excellent sense of humor.

Dad-4-27-73.png

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:36 AM, BlueGreySky said:

15413883_large.jpg

Burbs are a fucking tank; one of the best vehicles I ever owned.  This is as close of a photo I can find to my 1999 GMC Suburban

Image result for 1999 gmc suburban green

I had to look real close, because this is almost exactly the end of life photo when idiot son #1 (IS#1) finally killed it.

boring story spoiler alert

I felt bad because it only had 287,000+ miles on it. A year earlier IS#1 had been out with some buddies, likely drunk or high (or both), they were quading behind a buddies house and he thought he'd take the Burb through the trail, and he rolled it. Well almost rolled it, except it rolled into a tree on the drivers side and they were able to take straps and pull it back onto the wheels. The drivers side passenger window would only roll up to about 1" shy of closing, so gorilla tape sealed it, and the windshield roofline seal was shit so several coats of bedliner were applied to stop that from leaking.

But the death knell was when he missed a turn and sheered off a 4' diameter tree, but destroyed the passenger side headlight, grill, front quarter panel and some suspension. He claimed the steering locked up, however he was able to get it off the lawn that it ended up on  so maybe the tree freed up the steering problem.
(I'm glad I found this photo, as I'm keeping it as a memory of some of the stupid shit that boy did)

On 2/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

Jesus, some of you guys grew up with some real pieces of shit sitting in the driveway. The only thing missing from this thread is some poor bastard who grew up with a Rambler.

My dad had one of these:

1960AMCRamblerCustomCrossCountryStationW

He used to drive us several hundred miles on various road trips in the summertime; he liked to drive at night, when it was cooler, and we kids would sleep in the back, just stretched out on a couple of blankets. It was only a couple of years ago that he confessed he regularly "almost" fell asleep at the wheel, usually around 3 or 4 in the morning. Just another practice from a bygone era that we survived by pure luck.

Edited by Bat Guano

On 2/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, Buffsoldier said:

20422348999_89fa774cae_b.jpg

The 1976 Plymouth Volare' station wagon.  With the Slant 6 engine.  0 to 60 timed with a sundial.  More of a burgundy color than this one.  With the matching color pleather/vinyl seat.  Still have scars on the back of my legs from burns resulting from hopping in the back seat of this beast during the middle of the goddamn summer.

I bet if you assembled a dream team of the world’s most creative, open-minded, and visionary poets, freethinkers, and general imbibers of life’s rich, heady brew, and gave them a Plymouth Volare to feel, embrace, explore, experience, my guess is they’d come away thinking it’s “a car.” Maybe the more astute and/or high ones might realize it’s sort of old. That’s about the most you can hope for with a Volare.

https://jalopnik.com/meh-car-monday-fly-with-the-plymouth-volare-into-cloud-1827459982

On 2/7/2019 at 10:44 PM, Beau Vine said:

My dad bought a Mercedes.  (It was only a 240 Diesel.)  Friends gave him crap about buying a Mercedes, but he said it was going to last 200K+ miles.  He was driving 150+ miles a day for his job and he ended up making the loan payments using nothing but mileage reimbursements.  He finally got rid of it when it had 400K miles.  My dad was smart as hell about spending large amounts of money.  

My wife used to drive a lot for work. We made payments with a fair amount left over on a late model Honda Civic that we bought gently used with her mileage reimbursements. That car lasted 250K or so (only had 25K on it when we bought it). Probably would have gone 350K if it hadn't been my wife driving it.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:53 AM, Ghost of LL said:

So she downgraded to the Oldsmobile 98.  I still hate my sister.

Out that window, middle finger for all
Jealous at my ride, stereo and black walls
Suckers they got the nerve and gall
To talk 'bout the car when they're walkin' tall

Suckers to tha side I know you hate my 98
You gonna get yours

My dad drove a POS Olds 98 for a while when I was in high school. The horn would honk every time you turned left.