RIP Frank Robinson

smwhorn

One of my earliest sports heroes.   Hard-nosed, proud;  a technician and artist.   Won the Triple Crown.  Only player to win the  MVP in both leagues.   And the first African-American manager.  He was the best player on some absolutely great Orioles teams in the '60s and '70s.  His defense was overshadowed on the Earl Weaver Orioles because they were the greatest defensive teams I've ever seen.  Brooks Robinson and  Mark Belanger on the left side of the infield, both of whom were, IMO, the best fielders at their respective position I've seen.  Davey Johnson and Boog Powell on the right; Johnson was an excellent defensive 2B, but after he left he was replaced by an even better fielder and player, Bobby Grich.  Frank Robinson was very good in RF, Paul Blair in CF one of the two best defenders there in my memory (along with Andruw Jones).  Everybody played their ass off, not so much out of fear of Earl Weaver, but because they didn't want to incur the wrath of Frank Robinson.  He was the OF version of Bob Gibson, a fearsome warrior.  RIP.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...