wood

AVP/FIVB Beach Volleyball, anyone?

Posted (edited)

JFC. I've met him a couple of times. Hung out with his parents a lot the last two years at the AVP here at Krieg. Nice, nice people. Unreal. Damn. My kid met Eric this year and he was very encouraging and friendly. Him & his dad kept telling him that outside of California, boys generally start playing VB when they're freshmen, so he should go for it. (My kid is a 6' 3" freshman & still growing, & just getting started in VB)

Damn.

Edited by wood

Walsh-Jennings & Brooke Sweat just got rolled up by the Germans in round 1 of pool play in the FIVB World Championships in Hamburg. 

Klineman/Ross won their match though. Been showing on Olympic Channel (624 on Direct). 

http://hamburg2019.fivb.com/en

Hermosa this week. Bad news for Summer Ross... 

With Stadium Court seats stacked, let’s look at the pros who are hoping to be spraying champagne there two days from now. 🍾 Some of the mainstays of the top of the Entry List are out this weekend for an Olympic qualifier in Tokyo. But never fear, the AVP Family is still well-represented! On the women’s side, your top seeds are Emily Day and Betsi Flint at #1 (1-0 on the day), young-gun Terese Cannon and Irene Pollock at #2, and Amanda Dowdy and Corinne Quiggle (1-0 on the day) at #3, all of whom are hoping to take home their first trophy of the season. 🏆 You also can’t count out Sara Hughes, who is coming fresh off the unfortunate news that Summer Ross needs to step away from play to rehab a longstanding back injury. Hughes is instead playing with NCAA star and former teammate, Abril Bustamante. The two fought their way through a deep line-up of Qualifiers yesterday (because of a late entry) to get to the Main Draw where they sit at #5. How deep? Between the men’s and women’s teams, there were 224 pairs battling for just 16 spots yesterday! That’s the second-largest Qualifiers we have EVER had at the AVP!

https://avp.com/brackets

Hermosa this week. Bad news for Summer Ross... 
With Stadium Court seats stacked, let’s look at the pros who are hoping to be spraying champagne there two days from now. Some of the mainstays of the top of the Entry List are out this weekend for an Olympic qualifier in Tokyo. But never fear, the AVP Family is still well-represented! On the women’s side, your top seeds are Emily Day and Betsi Flint at #1 (1-0 on the day), young-gun Terese Cannon and Irene Pollock at #2, and Amanda Dowdy and Corinne Quiggle (1-0 on the day) at #3, all of whom are hoping to take home their first trophy of the season. You also can’t count out Sara Hughes, who is coming fresh off the unfortunate news that Summer Ross needs to step away from play to rehab a longstanding back injury. Hughes is instead playing with NCAA star and former teammate, Abril Bustamante. The two fought their way through a deep line-up of Qualifiers yesterday (because of a late entry) to get to the Main Draw where they sit at #5. How deep? Between the men’s and women’s teams, there were 224 pairs battling for just 16 spots yesterday! That’s the second-largest Qualifiers we have EVER had at the AVP!
https://avp.com/brackets

Hot as piss this weekend here for hermosa. Watched a little yesterday. Heading over in moment for today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patterson/Budinger win their first title. 

And the #1 seeds Day/Flint take the ladies’ side. 

1 hour ago, spystud13 said:

Patterson/Budinger win their first title. 

And the #1 seeds Day/Flint take the ladies’ side. 

Both finals were awesome but the mens. Damn those boys can swing. Day is a local girl 

On 6/16/2019 at 1:09 PM, wood said:

JFC. I've met him a couple of times. Hung out with his parents a lot the last two years at the AVP here at Krieg. Nice, nice people. Unreal. Damn. My kid met Eric this year and he was very encouraging and friendly. Him & his dad kept telling him that outside of California, boys generally start playing VB when they're freshmen, so he should go for it. (My kid is a 6' 3" freshman & still growing, & just getting started in VB)

Damn.

yeah this is terrible. just terrible. seemed like a unique and genuine guy. great player. hit lots of my austin sand friends pretty hard.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:36 AM, spystud13 said:

This guy... 

Is there a better coaching gig anywhere than coaching college beach vb?

18 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Finals tape-delayed on NBCSN now. 

Yeah I went to Amazon expecting all the day 3 matches to be available like they were earlier in the season, but it was just highlights. Pretty fucking disappointing.

We had originally planned to be at Hermosa for the tourney, but that fell through. Sucks.

Surprised to see Field/Bomgren not make Sunday. Field is still raw with big high & low swings. I think the sky's the limit for him once develops the consistency he needs. I could see him getting with someone like Benesh later on and being just scary.

Klineman/April Ross trying to win Chicago on NBCSN now. Hughes playing with another new partner since Summer Ross has been hurt. 

Edited by spystud13
Actually, this is only the semis.