"Secret" fast food menu items

Butch Had Not

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

Not sure when the homestyle burger came to the menu but it's only available in Texas afaik

They got sued over that although I don't remember if anything came of it

https://www.apnews.com/fb2af84cec19f21538ba0145233fba45

LAKE JACKSON, Texas (AP) _ It could be called a case of Texas hamburglary.

But to Lake Jackson restaurateur Richard Cox, the flap over McDonald’s ″Texas Homestyle Burger″ is no laughing matter.

″We have been using the Texas burger concept for 17 years,″ said Cox, owner of the Red Top restaurant chain that features ″Texas Style Burgers.″

″They copied everything we did,″ Cox, 45, said Monday. ″They thought it was a good idea and went ahead and used it, and they didn’t think anyone would challenge them.″

Cox has sued and has obtained an injunction against McDonald’s using the name in ads in his end of Brazoria County until June 4, when the case is to be tried.

The man who heads the corporation that owns the six McDonald’s in the county is doing some challenging of his own.

″He is trying to portray himself as a small independent businessman run over by a large corporation,″ said Robert D. Humason Sr. of Lake Jackson. ″He’s fighting me. I’m down here struggling with six stores.″

Humason heads Dewey Corp., which owns the McDonald’s restaurants in Brazoria County, south of Houston.

Cox, who owns six Red Top restaurants in Brazoria County and one in Houston, said the McDonald’s ad campaign for their burger is almost identical to his Texas Style Burger.

In a petition, McDonald’s denied using Cox’s concept, saying its promotion relies on generic logos that don’t belong to Cox.

Humason said Cox didn’t have the marketing concept registered and does not hold sole rights to the three words in contention.

Cox said the McDonald’s ads are so similar that confused customers have brought McDonald’s coupons to Red Top.

But Humason said of 174,000 coupons distributed during the marketing drive, only three were mistakenly taken to Red Top restaurants.

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

The point-- the gimmick-- was the separate sides in the styrofoam container.  So the hot side didn't wilt the lettuce or warm up the tomato until you put the two halves together.  I don't recall it being a particularly successful fast food item.

And I remember that commercial but had no idea it was Jason Alexander, who was obviously not well-known at the time.  Cool find.

I doubt it lasted a year.  I remember ordering one "with the cheese on the hot side!"   That didn't go over well

I tried to order the Whatafarm at the I10 and Silber location, but no dice. It is only 70 cents to add a fried egg to a burger, so I got a #2 with cheese and the egg added.

Btw, i always ask for crispy fries, since these places always undercook the fries. If you like crispy fries, it's the way to go.

Well, hell, now all I can think about is an enchirito.  My go-to order for the last 15 years (give or take a few) is #5 (Nachos Bell Grande) with crunchy taco, burrito supreme or DD taco supreme with no lettuce, an enchirito and a meximelt.  For that matter, I don't know that meximelts are on the menu any more either. 
PSA:   Grubhub now delivers Taco Bell in most areas.  
Nachos Bell Grande is the best thing they've got. Mexican Pizza is #2.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Enchiritos talk not going away... And it shouldn't because I love/d those fucking things.

Jack in the Box Taco = reminded of something that only happened to me once. 2 am, JitB on Guad at 24th... Drive thru. 

Im sure I ordered $10-15 dollars worth of 2 for $1 tacos... I eventually got them.. After being woke up by someone knocking on my window. Thankfully, it was just another stoned/drunk idiot like myself not police.

and I probably also ordered a Chicken Teriyaki Bowl... Those too were glorious 

Any chance Taco Bell still has the chili cheese burrito , the chilito? I would devour those things growing up. Now they are gone. I’ve never tried to order them since . Anyone have any luck with this? 

Hell yes...they were delicious. There was a Taco Bell at I45 and Cypresswood that used to have them, but I haven’t been there in many years. It reminds me, for some reason, of the triple cheese melt that Arby’s used to have. It definitely slammed and went hard when served along with the curly fries.

I used to order the chicken fajita at Whataburger as a kid pretty regularly. Then they took it off the menu for 10-15 years or so. During this very dark period in WB history, I would order the fajita often. Success rate was about 50% with many weird looks given to me by their staff and people I was with.

Then sometime in the last 5-6 years they brought it back. It's glorious. I wonder if they had a ton of requests for it during their dark period.

why would anyone order a taco at whataburger? 
You never know until you try. Places can surprise you. I've had some damn fine burgers at Tex-Mex places. When I find a place I like I like to sample the whole menu. Kind of like buying an album and listening to the whole thing.
  • Like 1

Supposedly how to make an Enchirito..

Ingredients

Beef Recipe

• 1 1/2 tablespoons masa harina
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
  • 1 1/3 pounds ground chuck

Sauce Recipe

• 8 ounce tomato Sauce
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon minced onions
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Enchirito Ingredients

• 4 tortillas
  • 1 cup refried beans
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped white onions
  • olive slices (optional)

Instructions

Beef directions

1. Mix all the ingredients except the meat. Stir the spice mix well to make sure that all spices have been blended well. Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet (preferably nonstick) and brown, stirring well. Remove from the heat. Dump the meat into a strainer in the sink, rinse with hot water, and drain the water and grease from the beef. Return the beef to the pan. Stir in the spice mix and 3/4 to 1 cup water. Simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, until most of the moisture has cooked away. Remove from heat before the meat is completely dry. 

Sauce directions

1. Place in saucepan and stir well, simmer at a very low temperature for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove and cool.

How to essemble

1.  To assemble the enchirito spread 1/4 of the heated refried beans into the tortilla. Add ground beef to the tortilla. Roll the tortilla, and place seam side down in an ovenproof dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cover with enchiritos with sauce, cheese, and chopped onions. Add slices of black olives if desired.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Ingredients

Beef Recipe

• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar

Sauce Recipe

• 8 ounce tomato Sauce
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar

Enchirito Ingredients

• 4 tortillas
  • 1 cup refried beans
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese

Instructions

Beef directions

1. Mix all the ingredients except the meat. Stir the spice mix well to make sure that all spices have been blended well. Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet (preferably nonstick) and brown, stirring well. Remove from the heat. Dump the meat into a strainer in the sink, rinse with hot water, and drain the water and grease from the beef. Return the beef to the pan. Stir in the spice mix and 3/4 to 1 cup water. Simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes, until most of the moisture has cooked away. Remove from heat before the meat is completely dry. 

Sauce directions

1. Place in saucepan and stir well, simmer at a very low temperature for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove and cool.

How to essemble

1.  To assemble the enchirito spread 1/4 of the heated refried beans into the tortilla. Add ground beef to the tortilla. Roll the tortilla, and place seam side down in an ovenproof dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cover with enchiritos with sauce, cheese, and chopped onions. Add slices of black olives if desired.

Is there a recipie with more ingredients?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, ohchaucer said:

For that matter, I don't know that meximelts are on the menu any more either.  

Meximelt is my junk food weakness, it must be the crack they put in it. Anyways, it's on the menu, used to be an off menu item they would make but it's been officially on the menu for awhile.

4 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Ingredients

Beef Recipe

• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar

Sauce Recipe

• 8 ounce tomato Sauce
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar

Enchirito Ingredients

• 4 tortillas
  • 1 cup refried beans
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese

Instructions

Beef directions

Sauce directions

How to essemble

The core spices, and even the ratios, on the beef recipe is surprisingly similar to my basic chili recipe. 

On 2/21/2019 at 9:44 PM, Whatever said:
On 2/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, ohchaucer said:
Well, hell, now all I can think about is an enchirito.  My go-to order for the last 15 years (give or take a few) is #5 (Nachos Bell Grande) with crunchy taco, burrito supreme or DD taco supreme with no lettuce, an enchirito and a meximelt.  For that matter, I don't know that meximelts are on the menu any more either. 
PSA:   Grubhub now delivers Taco Bell in most areas.  

Nachos Bell Grande is the best thing they've got. Mexican Pizza is #2.

Crunchwrap supreme above all

11 hours ago, Whatever said:

You never know until you try. Places can surprise you. I've had some damn fine burgers at Tex-Mex places. When I find a place I like I like to sample the whole menu. Kind of like buying an album and listening to the whole thing.

no, you really haven’t.  people who order burgers at texmex places are morons. 

On 2/21/2019 at 8:18 PM, BurntEyes said:

Enchiritos talk not going away... And it shouldn't because I love/d those fucking things.

Jack in the Box Taco = reminded of something that only happened to me once. 2 am, JitB on Guad at 24th... Drive thru. 

Im sure I ordered $10-15 dollars worth of 2 for $1 tacos... I eventually got them.. After being woke up by someone knocking on my window. Thankfully, it was just another stoned/drunk idiot like myself not police.

and I probably also ordered a Chicken Teriyaki Bowl... Those too were glorious 

I'm shocked I never got a DUI of some kind in that drive thru.  I don't believe anything has replaced it yet either.  Still abandoned last I checked.

20 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Had the police elected to do so, they could have had a spotter there, at Taco Bell and Burger King. Pull over every person that went through those drive through past midnight and there would have been a 99% dui/drug bust arrest rate.

What would be the probable cause, narc?

On 2/22/2019 at 11:21 AM, Whatever said:
On 2/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, irishtexan said:
why would anyone order a taco at whataburger? 

You never know until you try. Places can surprise you. I've had some damn fine burgers at Tex-Mex places. 

i scoffed at this many years ago when a friend told me that some great burgers can be found at tex-mex places.  i thought they just put them on the menu for little kids and yankees who don't like tex-mex.  turns out i had been missing out - there are in fact some damn good burgers to be found.  

futureman is doing his usual trolling.  Tex-Mex places tend to make great burgers.  Great gringo breakfast, too.

Why go to one and not order Mexican food?  Maybe you're 22 years old and working your first job out of college, maybe you've got more money than time so you eat out every meal, maybe you've had Mexican food for both lunch and dinner for the previous 10 days straight and you need a break?  I'm just suggesting a potential scenario where one might order a burger at a Mexican place.  That's certainly not something that ever actually happened to me.  For about 2 years straight...

Edited by utee94