Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

5 hours ago, alincoln said:

Mannequins in OP make sense.  Based on the pic, the majority of the people who shop there are likely overweight and the store is simply catering to its customer base.

As a tall/fat male (6'6", 270lbs) I like these mannequins because they give an accurate representation of how these clothes will look on a tall/fat body. Half the time, I see the shirt on a shredded fitness guru mannequin and I have to wonder exactly how terrible I'll look when I wear this shirt. 

As a tall/fat male (6'6", 270lbs) I like these mannequins because they give an accurate representation of how these clothes will look on a tall/fat body. Half the time, I see the shirt on a shredded fitness guru mannequin and I have to wonder exactly how terrible I'll look when I wear this shirt. 
Do you have eligibility left?

4 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
49 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Do you have eligibility left?

Is there a demand for out of shape guys in their mid-forties? 

I'm one block in the yellow, 5'11" about 190 with a 33 inch waist.

My wife is terrified that I'm going to lose more weight, but then again she loved me when I was 260.

2019 is the year I run a marathon and I keep explaining to her that I'm trying to get to 165 only because running that far without an extra 25 lbs would be easier on me.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:38 PM, bluto said:

Had a holy shit moment when I measured my waist and realized guy's waist pant sizes are just as 'vanity sizing' as chick clothes. My pant waist size is 4-5" less than actual measurement

I was about to call you out for being full of shit. Then I used the measuring tape we have in our server room. 37". I wear a 32. 

18 hours ago, scottsins said:

The proper term was “pegging”. That term has taken new meaning, so I strongly suggest against googling.

I know this term because of its frequent use by Stephen King in reference to cheap dime store hoods like Ace Merrill and Buddy Repperton.  I have not heard it used in the "wild," and may have seen them, but not frequently enough to make much of an impression.

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Like others have pointed out, that chart says being 6'0 and 140 lbs is "healthy". That's a healthy holocaust survivor, not so much a healthy regular adult. 

I’m 5 lbs away from obese at 5’8” but wear 32s, can still run a sub 8 minutes mile (no, that’s not blazing), and mentally I can’t imagine being 130 again, but i believe the chart is probably generally more right than wrong. 

Being on the low end of the weight scale is linked with longer life spans. A lot less cardiovascular risks. But on top of that you have all the decreased load on the joints and back, greatly improving the odds to continue being mobile in old age 

Edited by UT_OB1

Is “fit shaming” a thing? How does it work?

Mom post before and after bikini bellies - twitterverse explodes that she’s starving herself, should be spending her workout time with her baby.

Trainer or dietician posts before and after photos - instagram blows up that they looked fine or better in the before. Fat is fabulous and big is beautiful. They’re contributing to unhealthy self-esteem and body shaming.

CrossFit couple posts sweaty selfie to facebook. Comments go viral that she looks like a man, and he shaves his chest like a gay boy.

Etc.

The common thread is society is dying and people say dumb shit online which other people react to by saying dumber shit.
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm not in particularly good shape, but I'm 6' tall and wear size 32 pants and I'm somehow just barely overweight.

Damn, I'm 5'11" with a 31" waist and have a BMI of 23.   Doesn't seem like it takes much to go over the edge from healthy to obese.

On 2/10/2019 at 3:50 AM, Bama Chick said:

when your ladies buy the same thing in 7 different colors, there’s a real reason besides being a spendy bitch.

It’s because if we find something that looks good and fits right, by god give us one in every color made.

I'm a man and I do the same thing. It's more about not having to keep trying on other clothes though.

16 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
8 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:
Damn, I'm 5'11" with a 31" waist and have a BMI of 23.   Doesn't seem like it takes much to go over the edge from healthy to obese.

Aren't you missing a leg? I could be thinking of someone else.

That's me

Edit, I've been told I would weigh 8 lbs more with my anatomical leg as compared to my prosthesis. 

Edited by SHOOTER12

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

The BMI is stupid and I thought they killed that metric years ago.

It is stupid as a sole indicator for healthy weight of an individual without also considering body composition. It is useful for population-wide analytics where its assumptions about general body composition are more reliable. 

• Like 1