Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

On 2/11/2019 at 12:26 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

sorry can't let that uphauling, mind-bottling homonym go.

Hahaha...yes, I couldn't go back and fix. Embarrassing slip is embarrassing. FWIW, does it help that I posted that at 6 something in the morning on a Monday?

Edited by Thatguy

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Also, who the hell is 6'2 190lbs that isn't 16 years old?

Dude... what? 190 isn't that skinny for 6'2". I'm 6'3" 175 and have been for several years. I don't plan on gaining any weight. 

Edited by ztejas
rephrase

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Body transformation/fad diet thread is that way -->

Shattering a hand was the perfect diet plan. Couldn't cook or open anything. Not being able to wipe your ass properly also makes you lower your intake. (Bidet thread thataway, I know.)

Edited by Deej

Just not used to going to the other hand for that. Surprising how awkward it was. You seriously have to relearn things you never thought about. 

You never think about a version of the "The Stranger" wiping.

Edited by Deej

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Dude... what? 190 isn't that skinny for 6'2". I'm 6'3" 175 and have been for several years. I don't plan on gaining any weight. 

4 hours ago, Parliament said:

If you spend ANY quality time lifting weights, you're gonna be technically "obese" by that measure.

This right here. Spend any time at all working out at 6'1 and above and 190lbs is gonna come pretty easy, even if you are skinny.

I’m 6’2” 180 lb for the last 12 years or so. Sometimes I hit 182, sometimes 178, but usually about 180. I lift weights regularly but also do quite a bit of cardio. I intend to be the same weight in 10 more years.

BMI isn’t necessarily meant to prove anything in terms of fit people with a lot of muscle mass. No one is using BMI to classify them as obese and suggest lifestyle changes. It’s used for the average guy with a dad bod (hate that term btw) who is facing health issues as a result of being 5’11” and 195 lbs.

Damn had no idea you were 175. We are close in height but when I was at 195 I thought I looked sick. Hated it. Now I'm 250 and hate it. I enjoy being 215-220

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

If you spend ANY quality time lifting weights, you're gonna be technically "obese" by that measure.

Did you mean overweight? Because (in my example) lifting weights is not getting me to 240 any time soon. Unless there's a lot of pizza and beer involved on the side. I was benching my weight when I was in better shape/doing more weights. I'm just a skinny guy.

But, that's why BMI is kind of dumb. I think where "overweight" begins is pretty unforgiving and silly, but unless you are absolutely jacked you shouldn't be approaching where that "obese" line falls.

For Zepol (who is taller than me iirc) 250 puts him right on the verge of obese. And he just said he hates that and wishes he was 30 pounds lighter.

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Did you mean overweight? Because (in my example) lifting weights is not getting me to 240 any time soon. Unless there's a lot of pizza and beer involved on the side. I was benching my weight when I was in better shape/doing more weights. I'm just a skinny guy.

But, that's why BMI is kind of dumb. I think where "overweight" begins is pretty unforgiving and silly, but unless you are absolutely jacked you shouldn't be approaching where that "obese" line falls.

For Zepol (who is taller than me iirc) 250 puts him right on the verge of obese. And he just said he hates that and wishes he was 30 pounds lighter.

I don't subscribe fully to the BMI theory, but it is a good barometer for overweight to obese people. I am currently at the upper limits of the "overweight" category for my height. Last summer, I was 25 pounds lighter and was closer to the lower end on the range. To get to my desired weight, I need to lose 40 - 50 pounds despite the chart still telling me that I would still be overweight. (I'm 220-ish) It doesn't take into account frame size as I have freakishly muscular legs and broad shoulders. Where I don't buy into it is regarding health. During the work week, I walk 2 miles a day on average working in Manhattan. I would have no issue walking a half marathon to completion as my body has been conditioned for it. So I don't think that it's a good measuring stick for ones lifestyle. I'm overweight because of my genetics, slow metabolism at 40 and piss poor diet. Yet, I have a clean bill of health from my physician on all my vitals as a type 2 diabetic and 20+ year dipper.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:21 PM, Helobious said:

Like others have pointed out, that chart says being 6'0 and 140 lbs is "healthy". That's a healthy holocaust survivor, not so much a healthy regular adult. 

That was me about 15 years ago when I was in peak marathon shape.  Nothing but muscle and bone.  My friends said I looked like I had aids.  

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2019 at 7:05 AM, Thatguy said:

Hi. I'm 27. What would you like to know?

RE: BMI - Remember that BMI these days is generally used as a large scale public health indicator. It is useful in that sense - obviously your 6'2" 220lb linebacker type obviously isn't obese, but the majority of people in the population at that height/weight aren't elite athletes. From an individual perspective, it is nothing more than a rough guide.

I feel bad for my nephew.  I worry that he will be bullied soon.  He was regular weight for his first Ten years.  Now he’s 20-30 pounds overweight and getting worse.  

On 6/9/2019 at 8:27 PM, gmr548 said:

Hi. I'm 27. What would you like to know?

RE: BMI - Remember that BMI these days is generally used as a large scale public health indicator. It is useful in that sense - obviously your 6'2" 220lb linebacker type obviously isn't obese, but the majority of people in the population at that height/weight aren't elite athletes. From an individual perspective, it is nothing more than a rough guide.

Thank you. Everyone wants to play the what about star athletes game when the majority of the population never exercises.

Some people seem to be confusing the BMI chart as meaning that you look you’re best in the healthy range.  Healthy doesn’t mean the same as how culture defines “in shape.”  Someone might look their best being fat but it’s not a good idea for their health.

And being listed in the heathy range doesn’t automatically mean you’re in great health.  It’s a simple chart. And since it shames people, I bet it eventually goes away.

bmi is a metric.  blaming a metric is probably symptomatic of why they are fat in the first place:  blaming something that has nothing to do with why are obese.

two things lead to obesity. opening their mouths way too much to eat and moving their feet way too less to exercise.  both those things are 100% at the control of their owner.

6’2” and 200, plus minus 5 lbs depending on my turd schedule. My waist is same 34 it’s been since high school two decades ago. But the chart says I’m fat. Also strongest I’ve ever been...do you even lift bro?  I could prob drop 3-5 lbs and be at my ideal weight in my opinion. 

BTW, this thread got me thinking, what are actual practical measures to use over time to maintain ideal weight?  Do any of you regularly get body fat measured?  Another approach, simple tape measure of chest waist, legs, arms, etc?  Shirtless photos like a beotch?  Clearly weight alone is insufficient, especially if lifting for strength gains. 

Been on a tear with my boot camp for the past 5 months or so. I’ve gone from around 195 to 184 at 5’9”. I have a bigger frame from when I would lift a lot. I’m trying to get to 175 or so. It’s really hard for me to lose weight when I start working out a lot, but I my clothes fit better and I look better and can handle the intense workouts much better than at the beginning of the year

• 4 months later...

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a21070665/ultra/

PEOPLE ALWAYS SAY TO ME, ‘Anyone who runs as much as you do deserves to be skinny.’ Of course, what they’re really saying: ‘If you do all this running, why are you still so fat?’ ”

Mirna Valerio climbs out of her car at Black Rock Lake. It’s a shining afternoon in early April in the high country of northeastern Georgia, along the eastern reach of the Appalachian Mountains. The serviceberry trees are budding on the hogback hills, but the oak trees and other hardwoods remain bare.

Early that morning, before dawn, Valerio had led a three-mile group run around the campus of Rabun Gap-Na-coochee School in the nearby town of Rabun Gap, where she serves as Spanish teacher, choir director, and head coach of the cross-country team. She’s about to start her second run of the day.

“Or people think, She claims to follow a healthy diet, but I bet she goes home every night and eats a gallon of ice cream.”

Moving toward the fishing platform where she always begins her Black Rock runs, Valerio pulls out her smartphone. “But you know what bothers me the most? People look at me and think, Big as this girl is, how can she possibly enjoy her sport? She says she loves to run, but she’s really just punishing herself.”

Valerio’s voice—bright, plangent, and Juilliard-trained—rouses a middle-aged man who’s been dozing on a sunny bench on the fishing deck. He looks at Valerio—a 39-year-old, 5-foot-7, 250-pound African-American dressed in a ball cap, fitness top, knee-length running tights, and training shoes—and does a cartoon-grade double take. Valerio blasts him with a big smile and a “Good afternoon, sir!”

spacer.png

I'M TOTALLY NOT JUDGING HER FOR HER PHYSIQUE.  My question is how is it possible?  That kinda training burns 3000 cal/week.  30,000 steps/week for your workout.  How do you NOT get skinny?

Many NFL linemen, powerlifters and strongmen gotta force themselves to eat enough to maintain their size.  10,000 calorie days, 8 egg omelettes, coconut shakes; all to stay not much heavier than here.  How do these 2 realities exist? 

Edited by Parliament

losing weight begins and ends in the kitchen.  you can exercise all day but if you are eating crap and often, you will not lose weight and will probably still gain.

so yea, if she exercises that much and still weighs that much, she's eating absolute shit.

the issue is when she stops running, she'll blow up like a balloon.

had a buddy who ran 2 marathons a year for 3 years.  he was still plump, probably 30 pounds overweight.  we'd go to lunch and he'd eat shit. always snacking on empty calories in between meals.  when he stopped running, he got huge. his calorie burn stop but his intake remained the same.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Parliament said:

My God, though.  What does a diet like that look like?

Based on what I saw when I worked among the Walking Diabetes, you want to

-- Avoid anything green, fresh, or with real fruit

-- Eat lots of things like Hot Pockets, Pizza, Blooming Onions, everything processed

-- Make "I'm so guilty" comments as you plow through office cupcakes

-- Constantly chug something like 20 oz Mountain Dews or similar chemical combos.

After even a couple of days like that, you will be on the fast train to slugville.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 7:05 AM, Thatguy said:

About 15 years ago, I was 6'2, 200 lbs. Then I hiked the PCT. I ended at about 175. I looked like a skeleton. This was in my 30s. I quickly gained that weight back, plus extra. I struggle to keep that "extra" off.

Now I'm up to 220. Slight paunch, but I wouldn't call my self obese, as that BMI chart claims.

41 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Based on what I saw when I worked among the Walking Diabetes, you want to

-- Avoid anything green, fresh, or with real fruit

-- Eat lots of things like Hot Pockets, Pizza, Blooming Onions, everything processed

-- Make "I'm so guilty" comments as you plow through office cupcakes

-- Constantly chug something like 20 oz Mountain Dews or similar chemical combos.

After even a couple of days like that, you will be on the fast train to slugville.

I think this is problem for a lot of people. Work out, but during the work out chug 20 oz of powerade, as much sugar as Coke.

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I think this is problem for a lot of people. Work out, but during the work out chug 20 oz of powerade, as much sugar as Coke.

i think most people can lose weight by simply stop drinking soft drinks (only drink water) and stop snacking between meals.  that alone should decrease 1000-1500 calories of intake. i have a buddy who is fat and really only eats 1 meal a day. problem is he is always with a beer in hand or within reach. he has a huge beer belly. if he stopped drinking beer all day, every day, he'd lose 50 pounds in 6 months without every going to the gym or lacing on a pair for running shoes.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

losing weight begins and ends in the kitchen.  you can exercise all day but if you are eating crap and often, you will not lose weight and will probably still gain.

so yea, if she exercises that much and still weighs that much, she's eating absolute shit.

the issue is when she stops running, she'll blow up like a balloon.

had a buddy who ran 2 marathons a year for 3 years.  he was still plump, probably 30 pounds overweight.  we'd go to lunch and he'd eat shit. always snacking on empty calories in between meals.  when he stopped running, he got huge. his calorie burn stop but his intake remained the same.

There is a lot of truth in this. You cannot "out-exercise" a bad diet. 

At best, you might struggle to maintain some illusion of equilibrium, but when injury or sloth eventually knocks exercise out of the equation... that bad diet is going to wreak havoc. 

On 2/13/2019 at 6:13 PM, Deej said:

Just not used to going to the other hand for that. Surprising how awkward it was. You seriously have to relearn things you never thought about. 

You never think about a version of the "The Stranger" wiping.

Broke the head of my radius.  Cast all the way up my arm to the middle of my bicep.  My primary hand.  Had to re-learn everything, so I get it.  Also having to wrap that damn thing in a garbage bag to shower, etc.  When I first discovered the magic of baby-wipes for grownups.  Then when the cast comes off, you have this atrophied little T-rex arm.  Beating.   

6'5, 207, 34 in waist.  Work out religiously every day or every other day.  That chart is Bob Stoops-level of a bucket of dicks.  

36 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i think most people can lose weight by simply stop drinking soft drinks (only drink water) and stop snacking between meals.  that alone should decrease 1000-1500 calories of intake. i have a buddy who is fat and really only eats 1 meal a day. problem is he is always with a beer in hand or within reach. he has a huge beer belly. if he stopped drinking beer all day, every day, he'd lose 50 pounds in 6 months without every going to the gym or lacing on a pair for running shoes.

Tell your friend this was my dad. My dad died of  cirrhosis when he was 57.

(After dinner he would switch to gin).

Sugar.  Sugar is killing more American's than almost anything else.  We're dying from complications of abundance.  Too many calories.  Too many of the wrong calories.  Sugar is in everything.  Ketchup.  Pastas/bread.  Sweets.  Alcohol.  

A diversity of natural foods in always best.  I try to eat lean proteins (primarily venison, chicken, eggs, and beef) and vegetables.  Supplemented with raw foods like nuts (and vegetables) for when I get hungry during the day.  It's not perfect.  But I keep a food journal and weigh and record my weight each day so I can track progress. 

Go to Costco.  Get raw peppers, cucumbers, snap-peas, avacados, almonds, etc.  Have at it.  

My alcohol is now primarily vodka and silver tequila w/ lime.  Red wine on occasion.