Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Once I was addicted to Coke. As in, Coca-Cola. I busted out of it by switching to oranges-- whenever I craved a coke, I'd grab an orange and eat it. Something about the citric acid I guess.

That, and the sugar.  Orange (fruit) has less, and the fiber is intact.  Juice - might as well be drinking a Coke.  Body can't tell the differences in the sugars between the two.  

*former Mountain Dew & Copenhagen addict here.  So I get it.  

I have a sure fire weight loss program going. A bit slow, but it works.

First, you have a heart attack.

Then do 4 months of cardiac rehab.... which gets you on an exercise schedule (3 days a week, 50 minutes on the stationary bike) at home.

Cut out most of the junk shit. (Still get a Blizzard or a Whataburger shake once a week - but a medium instead of large).

Alcohol intake restricted to Wednesday Happy Hour (two drinks) each week. Once a month two Bloody Marys at Sunday Brunch or at home.

Normal portions at the three meals. Restrict in between snacks to nuts or a bowl of popcorn.

Have lost 26 pounds in 5 months and am down from 3X to a 2X shirt size so far. A pound a week is fine with my doctor. Only 84 to go.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Then do 4 months of cardiac rehab.... which gets you on an exercise schedule (3 days a week, 50 minutes on the stationary bike) at home.

Cut out most of the junk shit. (Still get a Blizzard or a Whataburger shake once a week - but a medium instead of large).

Alcohol intake restricted to Wednesday Happy Hour (two drinks) each week. Once a month two Bloody Marys at Sunday Brunch or at home.

Normal portions at the three meals. Restrict in between snacks to nuts or a bowl of popcorn.

Have lost 26 pounds in 5 months and am down from 3X to a 2X shirt size so far. A pound a week is fine with my doctor. Only 84 to go.

keep it up. nothing like staring at death to find religion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

damn, brat.  you’re a big mofo.  how tall are you?

On 10/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, Armybrat said:

A couple of years ago, my Mother had quadruple bypass surgery.  One of the crazier moments of my life was watching her have my father ask for extra butter on her baked potato that they were ordering from the hospital cafeteria to be delivered to her room.   I thought for one hot minute I was being pranked.  Alas, they brought it to her.

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

A couple of years ago, my Mother had quadruple bypass surgery.  One of the crazier moments of my life was watching her have my father ask for extra butter on her baked potato that they were ordering from the hospital cafeteria to be delivered to her room.   I thought for one hot minute I was being pranked.  Alas, they brought it to her.

As far as heart disease goes, the potato was probably worse than the butter.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:51 AM, BabaYaga said:

Sugar.  Sugar is killing more American's than almost anything else.  We're dying from complications of abundance.  Too many calories.  Too many of the wrong calories.  Sugar is in everything.  Ketchup.  Pastas/bread.  Sweets.  Alcohol.  

A diversity of natural foods in always best.  I try to eat lean proteins (primarily venison, chicken, eggs, and beef) and vegetables.  Supplemented with raw foods like nuts (and vegetables) for when I get hungry during the day.  It's not perfect.  But I keep a food journal and weigh and record my weight each day so I can track progress. 

Go to Costco.  Get raw peppers, cucumbers, snap-peas, avacados, almonds, etc.  Have at it.  

My alcohol is now primarily vodka and silver tequila w/ lime.  Red wine on occasion.  

This. I'm trying to shed my dad gut to improve my running and cycling. I am doing everything I can to avoid sugar (primarily added sugar) and refined grains (mostly white bread and anything with white flour as its main ingredient). It is hard as fuck. Everything has sugar in it and our diets are loaded with empty carbs. My saving grace is nuts, seeds, and fruit throughout the day to keep my stomach from groaning. Sprouted grain bread only, and I found wraps made of cheese for lunch which I stuff full of peppers, onions, greens, and a few thin slices of higher quality lunch meat. I still drink beer and bourbon. I figure if I change everything else and workout at least 5 times a week I can still enjoy my booze. I'm not looking to lose more than about 10 pounds of belly fat.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This. I'm trying to shed my dad gut to improve my running and cycling. I am doing everything I can to avoid sugar (primarily added sugar) and refined grains (mostly white bread and anything with white flour as its main ingredient). It is hard as fuck. Everything has sugar in it and our diets are loaded with empty carbs. My saving grace is nuts, seeds, and fruit throughout the day to keep my stomach from groaning. Sprouted grain bread only, and I found wraps made of cheese for lunch which I stuff full of peppers, onions, greens, and a few thin slices of higher quality lunch meat. I still drink beer and bourbon. I figure if I change everything else and workout at least 5 times a week I can still enjoy my booze. I'm not looking to lose more than about 10 pounds of belly fat.

Yeah it is hard.  I commend you on sprouted bread.  I can't do it.  I'm better off avoiding it entirely.

Triscuits are good with cheese and as far as I can tell are one of the best cracker choices.  Also RyKrisp and similar, but may be an acquired taste.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Keep doing all this and add in a disciplined food journal.  After doing this, I really turned the corner.  Start preparing your own food and have snacks as indicated to keep you from cheating.

For booze, I've become a big vodka drinker (vs beer and brown spirits).  Helps tremendously.  

17 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

People always give me odd looks when I eat these raw. I like to make a meal in my mouth that's half raw pepper and half spinach.

Image result for I like to make the sandwich in my mouth

I catch hell all the time at work.  My office filled with bottled waters, almonds, pumpkin seeds, raw bell peppers, raw cucumbers, jerky, etc.  Train like a savage.  Eat like a savage.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on how much you drink, how much you eat, how much you exercise and to what degree of intensity, and how your body reacts to all of the above.

Those are just huge amounts of empty calories, and I say that as a dad who just needs a beer some nights.  You'd probably be best off cutting back on booze.

That reminds of the bit George Carlin did on Richard Pryor.

“See, it happened like this. First Richard had a heart attack. Then I had a heart attack. Then Richard burned himself up. And I said, 'Fuck that. I'm having another heart attack!”
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2019 at 5:01 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

5'11" and about 160-165.  So according to that chart, I'm pretty much perfect.  Validation.  

What are you, a millennial hipster ?

I'm 5'-11" and haven't seen 165 since freshman year of college.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, drt said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on how much you drink, how much you eat, how much you exercise and to what degree of intensity, and how your body reacts to all of the above.

Those are just huge amounts of empty calories, and I say that as a dad who just needs a beer some nights.  You'd probably be best off cutting back on booze.

This.  I, of course, have not tried it myself but I had a friend who went 2 months without drinking and lost ~15lbs.  The encouraging parts of his weight loss were the facts that he is in his early 50s', was not grossly overweight(went from 182lbs to 167lbs at a height of 5'10"),  changed nothing else about his lifestyle (i.e. did not exercise more or change his diet), and was not what I would call a heavy drinker (we did the math and calculated average calories /week from alcohol at 2500-3000)

He probably consumed fewer food only calories due to a lack of booze munchies but did not do so on purpose.  He has since allowed himself one night a week for alcohol consumption and his weight has leveled out at 169lbs and has been there for ~2 months. He remarked about how much better his sleep has been which no doubt attributed to the weight loss.

Even at the most aggressive assumption level, the booze would only account from not even half of his weight loss from a caloric standpoint. His diet is generally pretty good, but he is not on any particular meal plan.  He is fairly active and works out but, as I said did not change anything he was doing(on purpose) already except for the alcohol.

I am at 5'-11" 185LBS and also a moderate drinker, so this hits close to home.  It thought I would share for those of you who might be 

struggling spacer.png with a weight loss kick start. 

4 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

changed nothing else about his lifestyle (i.e. did not exercise more or change his diet), and was not what I would call a heavy drinker (we did the math and calculated average calories /week from alcohol at 2500-3000)

That's not an insignificant amount of calories.  Further, those are almost entirely calories from sugars/starches.  Think of it this way.  Replace "alcohol" with Snickers bars or sodas.  If you were getting an extra 3,000 calories a week from sodas and/or candy bars....and you cut that out.  The health benefits would be immediate and pronounced.  

Sugar is sugar.  Your body treats it the same way.  Enzymes break it down to glucose or sucrose.  Insulin levels spike to deal it from your pancrease.  Dopamine and seratonin are produced.  Glass of orange juice.  Or a Coke.  Over time, these will absolutely wreck your system.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

That's not an insignificant amount of calories.  Further, those are almost entirely calories from sugars/starches.  Think of it this way.  Replace "alcohol" with Snickers bars or sodas.  If you were getting an extra 3,000 calories a week from sodas and/or candy bars....and you cut that out.  The health benefits would be immediate and pronounced.  

Sugar is sugar.  Your body treats it the same way.  Enzymes break it down to glucose or sucrose.  Insulin levels spike to deal it from your pancrease.  Dopamine and seratonin are produced.  Glass of orange juice.  Or a Coke.  Over time, these will absolutely wreck your system.  

Indeed. I know about all that stuff.  The thing that impressed me was that it actually worked pretty quickly given his age and existing proximity to a pretty ideal body weight (ie those last few lbs that your body wants to hang onto.)  My friend actually looked a little gaunt after the weight loss.

22 hours ago, drt said:

You'd probably be best off cutting back on booze.

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Consuming alcohol only one day a week is a great place to start.

Fuck you mind your own goddamned business! Seriously though, I don't think I drink enough that I need to cut back significantly. Eating better meals and exercising more should be enough for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm not big at all I just have a dad belly that I hope to slim down. Ten pounds at most. I've already shed 4 points in a couple of weeks.  I'll reevaluate my booze consumption if I hit a wall before obtaining my goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

does the running and cycling not shed the gut? 

It helps but I don't have the time to do it enough to be one of those guys who can claim "it all burns in the incinerator." I hit the gym over lunch 2-3 times a week and try to get at least one long run or ride on the weekend. I can increase it if I'm within a month of a half-marathon or organized long ride.

47 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Consuming alcohol only one day a week is a great place to start.

This is accurate.  The only time in my life that I've actually gained bad weight was when I was drinking 2 beers a night.  I cut that back to one to two beers per week and almost immediately dropped the weight.  Alcohol can taste great and make you feel good, but it's absolutely killer for your body.  

11 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Are you of the opinion that pasta isn't bad for you, or that pasta in moderation is ok?

Both. Depending on the composition of your entire diet and your activity level, you could eat it literally every night with no negative consequences.

Edited by G650
I can't spell.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, G650 said:

Both. Depending on the composition of your entire diet and your activity level, you could eat it literally every night with no negative consequences.

I would eat past 4-5 nights a week except I don't want the wife to get fat, so we limit it to about 2 nights a week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2