Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

Whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce with minimal added sugars, some veggies thrown in, and maybe a bit of lean protein is a lot different than refined white pasta with a sugary sauce or fatty alfredo sauce, no veggies, and a huge load of fatty/ processed meat.

Pasta is not inherently bad for you. Italy is a world leader in life expectancy and they're not exactly avoiding it. The way a lot of Americans consume pasta at home and at shitty chains is bad for you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Pasta is not inherently bad for you. Italy is a world leader in life expectancy and they're not exactly avoiding it. The way a lot of Americans consume pasta at home and at shitty chains is bad for you.

Precisley

This.  I, of course, have not tried it myself but I had a friend who went 2 months without drinking and lost ~15lbs.  The encouraging parts of his weight loss were the facts that he is in his early 50s', was not grossly overweight(went from 182lbs to 167lbs at a height of 5'10"),  changed nothing else about his lifestyle (i.e. did not exercise more or change his diet), and was not what I would call a heavy drinker (we did the math and calculated average calories /week from alcohol at 2500-3000)
He probably consumed fewer food only calories due to a lack of booze munchies but did not do so on purpose.  He has since allowed himself one night a week for alcohol consumption and his weight has leveled out at 169lbs and has been there for ~2 months. He remarked about how much better his sleep has been which no doubt attributed to the weight loss.
Even at the most aggressive assumption level, the booze would only account from not even half of his weight loss from a caloric standpoint. His diet is generally pretty good, but he is not on any particular meal plan.  He is fairly active and works out but, as I said did not change anything he was doing(on purpose) already except for the alcohol.
I am at 5'-11" 185LBS and also a moderate drinker, so this hits close to home.  It thought I would share for those of you who might be 
struggling th?id=OIP.R0yGtusdnDwa7zKyEtD5IgHaFh&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300 with a weight loss kick start. 

That's not an insignificant amount of calories.  Further, those are almost entirely calories from sugars/starches.  Think of it this way.  Replace "alcohol" with Snickers bars or sodas.  If you were getting an extra 3,000 calories a week from sodas and/or candy bars....and you cut that out.  The health benefits would be immediate and pronounced.  
Sugar is sugar.  Your body treats it the same way.  Enzymes break it down to glucose or sucrose.  Insulin levels spike to deal it from your pancrease.  Dopamine and seratonin are produced.  Glass of orange juice.  Or a Coke.  Over time, these will absolutely wreck your system.  

2,500-3,000 calories a week? Are you sure? Because that's 25 light beers a week. 4-5 bottles of wine a week. Etc, etc. Maybe it's not permanent liver damage heavy but it's pretty far to the right side of the bell curve in terms of alcohol consumption. It's also a full day or even day and a half worth of additional calories a week. That's a huge impact on weight/ health.

The best way to either gain or lose weight is to track your macros. It’s so easy nowadays with apps. It’s eye opening Once you start tracking how much fat, carbs, and protein you’re eating. You may think you’re eating healthy, but you are probably eating way too much of one or all of the macros and therefore the calories add up really fast. What’s nice about tracking macros is that you can basically eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros for the day. You start to learn how to have proper portions and know that if you eat these chips now, you’re going to have to cut back and sacrifice at dinner. 

19 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Whole wheat pasta with tomato sauce with minimal added sugars, some veggies thrown in, and maybe a bit of lean protein is a lot different than refined white pasta with a sugary sauce or fatty alfredo sauce, no veggies, and a huge load of fatty/ processed meat.

Nor is it the "same pasta".  We were in Italy a few years back.  Remember the statement that they require all their pasta to be made from 100% durum wheat semolina flour.  Very different from this bleached out nonsense we eat.  There is also this misconception that "eating Italian" is like sitting down from a scene from the Godfather with giant bowls of starchy pasta, giant meatballs, etc.

If it was there, I never saw it.  Lots of smaller portions.  Fish.  Grains.  Lots of vegetables, olives, etc.  Everything felt very light and we walked everywhere.  The regions are also very different.  Milan vs Rome vs Tuscany, etc.  Be like comparing the typical fares from Chicago to Florida to LA.  

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Nor is it the "same pasta".  We were in Italy a few years back.  Remember the statement that they require all their pasta to be made from 100% durum wheat semolina flour.  Very different from this bleached out nonsense we eat.  There is also this misconception that "eating Italian" is like sitting down from a scene from the Godfather with giant bowls of starchy pasta, giant meatballs, etc.

If it was there, I never saw it.  Lots of smaller portions.  Fish.  Grains.  Lots of vegetables, olives, etc.  Everything felt very light and we walked everywhere.  The regions are also very different.  Milan vs Rome vs Tuscany, etc.  Be like comparing the typical fares from Chicago to Florida to LA.  

On top of that they also consume more red wine and have much less stress in their jobs. I'd wager those are key ingredients as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It has nothing to do with food or wine.  Italians just don't put up with any of the shit from their wives that Americans do.  Just read the Stupid wives thread.  If an Italian man gets shits from his wife he just gets a mistress.

and proceeds to lose half his shit.

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Nor is it the "same pasta".  We were in Italy a few years back.  Remember the statement that they require all their pasta to be made from 100% durum wheat semolina flour. 

This is not exactly accurate. Italians generally have higher quality pasta yes, but the only requirements are for specific designations which is probably beyond the scope here. And you can also get typical Italian pasta in almost any grocery store these days, like De Cecco and whatnot.

16 hours ago, gmr548 said:

2,500-3,000 calories a week? Are you sure? Because that's 25 light beers a week. 4-5 bottles of wine a week. Etc, etc. Maybe it's not permanent liver damage heavy but it's pretty far to the right side of the bell curve in terms of alcohol consumption. It's also a full day or even day and a half worth of additional calories a week. That's a huge impact on weight/ health.

Yes.  Those were the numbers.  Perhaps we took a "heavy" week, but if that were the case then the weight loss would have been even more impressive since the caloric reduction would have been less from alcohol reduction.  As reported by me, my friend was getting a weight loss of 2 lbs/wk with a conscious calorie reduction of < 1lb/week.

As far the amount of alcohol.  Below is what I did this week. It adds up.  Friday was unusual.  I went to my Dad's ranch and cut firewood and was just putting them back all afternoon.  However, usually I will also drink on Sunday (3 craft beers or 1/2 bottle of wine) and not drink on Wed.  For me perhaps my normal is ~2000 alcohol calories/wk. Not sure, I have never really kept track of it for more than a couple of weeks just to get an idea-but I am pretty consistent and it goes up when I go fishing at the coast etc.

I maintain a weight of 185LBS at 5'-11" and at that weight(and level of alcohol consumption) I have an ok six pack which is pretty good since I don't really target that area specifically. ( I mostly walk, rock climb, and do mobility exercises which I try to target extending my range of motion in my T spine, hips, and shoulders.)  Just a few years ago, I drank less and had a slightly better diet and did more body weight exercises and was maintaining my weight at 170-175LBS and ended up with a 16-20 pack in the mid section. I never did a %fat scale or anything but at my lower weight I was probably at 10% BF or just slightly under and am now at ~15%.  I am more interested now in getting back to the lower weight since I am trying to climb with my kids (11 and 13) who are  nationally competitive rock climbers.  The lower weight is only marginally helpful in the actual climbing, but its main benefit is injury prevention.

The math:

Friday 14 Bud Lights X 110 Cal each=1,540 CAL

Sat 1/2 bottle of red wine =318 CAL

SUN, MON, TUES No Booze

WED 4 Bud Lights X 110=440 CAL

Thursday 1/2 Bottle Red Wine=318 CAL

Total=2,616 CAL.

We usually make our noodles from 00 flour. Hot fresh nudes we call them. That’s how we were taught to do it in Italy. We most often make fresh red sauce with pancetta, or pesto with chicken, or carbonara with pancetta. Not super healthy but it is super tasty.

This is a Sunday night ritual for us. If we make too much then we may eat it again on Monday. So pasta 1-2 nights a week for us unless we also eat out somewhere Friday or Saturday night and order pasta, which isn’t really that common since local restaurants don’t do it as well.

I’m 6’2” 180 lb. Wife is 5’7” 130 lbs. I’m not concerned about our pasta routine.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

So you're telling me they don't have all-the-pasta and bread sticks  you can shovel down deals at the Olive Garden in Italy (with a take home meal deal too) ?

I thought that's where Olive Garden came from.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

So you're telling me they don't have all-the-pasta and bread sticks  you can shovel down deals at the Olive Garden in Italy (with a take home meal deal too) ?

I thought that's where Olive Garden came from.

If we're being honest - I really like the house salad/dressing @ OG....

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Is fatty liver the “overplayed ailment of the minute?” Seems like everyone is talking about it.

Because 1 in 3 Americans have it. It should be talked about. Once the liver develops cirrhosis, it’s too late to reverse it. Our shitty diets with no exercise is the leading cause. 

Pelaton getting ripped for this ad.  The parody is pretty damn funny though.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/peleton-christmas-ad-exercise-bike_n_5de5a660e4b0d50f32a775be?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000032&utm_source=lifestyle_fb&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages

At a time where the nation is best characterized as divided, Americans have finally united on one front: hating on the new Peloton ad.

The ad ― which the exercise equipment company released on YouTube on Nov. 21 and has since aired on TV ― shows a fictional woman’s yearlong selfie diary after her partner gifted her a Peloton BikeThe 30-second clip chronicles the already-slim woman’s wellness journey, which includes 6 a.m. wake-ups and working out five days in a row, and concludes with a shot of her on the couch with her partner at the end of the year, watching the selfie diary together on a TV. The entire ad is set to the uplifting tune of Tal Bachman’s 1999 hit “She’s So High.”

“A year ago, I didn’t realize how much this would change me,” the selfie-version of the woman says on TV as the seated couple watch. “Thank you.”

Viewers felt that the woman’s diary kind of looked like a cry for help or an excerpt from a dystopian film.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Yes.  Those were the numbers.  Perhaps we took a "heavy" week, but if that were the case then the weight loss would have been even more impressive since the caloric reduction would have been less from alcohol reduction.  As reported by me, my friend was getting a weight loss of 2 lbs/wk with a conscious calorie reduction of < 1lb/week.

As far the amount of alcohol.  Below is what I did this week. It adds up.  Friday was unusual.  I went to my Dad's ranch and cut firewood and was just putting them back all afternoon.  However, usually I will also drink on Sunday (3 craft beers or 1/2 bottle of wine) and not drink on Wed.  For me perhaps my normal is ~2000 alcohol calories/wk. Not sure, I have never really kept track of it for more than a couple of weeks just to get an idea-but I am pretty consistent and it goes up when I go fishing at the coast etc.

I maintain a weight of 185LBS at 5'-11" and at that weight(and level of alcohol consumption) I have an ok six pack which is pretty good since I don't really target that area specifically. ( I mostly walk, rock climb, and do mobility exercises which I try to target extending my range of motion in my T spine, hips, and shoulders.)  Just a few years ago, I drank less and had a slightly better diet and did more body weight exercises and was maintaining my weight at 170-175LBS and ended up with a 16-20 pack in the mid section. I never did a %fat scale or anything but at my lower weight I was probably at 10% BF or just slightly under and am now at ~15%.  I am more interested now in getting back to the lower weight since I am trying to climb with my kids (11 and 13) who are  nationally competitive rock climbers.  The lower weight is only marginally helpful in the actual climbing, but its main benefit is injury prevention.

The math:

Friday 14 Bud Lights X 110 Cal each=1,540 CAL

Sat 1/2 bottle of red wine =318 CAL

SUN, MON, TUES No Booze

WED 4 Bud Lights X 110=440 CAL

Thursday 1/2 Bottle Red Wine=318 CAL

Total=2,616 CAL.

Can I shit beer shame you?

33 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Other than the whole body image thing, this is no worse than Lexus' "December to Remember" ads which feature similar couples/families in multi million dollar modern homes graced with perfect holiday snowfall.  Welcome to the advertising elitist bastard hall of fame.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Other than the whole body image thing, this is no worse than Lexus' "December to Remember" ads which feature similar couples/families in multi million dollar modern homes graced with perfect holiday snowfall.  Welcome to the advertising elitist bastard hall of fame.

Those are equally fucking retarded and completely appropriate for middle America.

Or that Cadillac commercial with Buck Compton bragging about America.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Well, that is who they are marketing their cars to, so why wouldn't they?  Should they do a "Like a Rock" type everyman commercial of a Lexus driving through the mud or up a mountainside?