Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

21 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why is the peloton ad getting “ripped”? Is there some subliminal message that I’m not getting?

Because fat women are mad that a hot skinny woman wanted to stay hot and skinny.  They also can't understand that perhaps said hot skinny woman actually asked for the bike because they would never want something like that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Wtf is a peloton?

A $2200 hamster wheel.

54 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why is the peloton ad getting “ripped”? Is there some subliminal message that I’m not getting?

You aren't sufficiently woke.  The Husband gave it to his wife as a message that she needs to lose weight, duh.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Shows you can't out work a shit diet.

Yep. I know someone who runs marathons and triathlons, and is proud of the fact they are still fat. Their knees are going to just collapse, one day.

"I ate a dozen donuts today, because I can, since I run."

Edited by Deej

13 hours ago, txhorns said:

Because fat women are mad that a hot skinny woman wanted to stay hot and skinny.  They also can't understand that perhaps said hot skinny woman actually asked for the bike because they would never want something like that.

Fat people fail to understand that people that are really fit and in shape love to exercise.  They don't understand that their goal isn't to lose more weight but continue being as healthy as possible.

• Like 2

To be honest, I understand how sensitive people (not even fat, but maybe just an average amount of chubby/unhealthy and not just poor folks, but solidly middle or lower middle class e.g. not LifeTime or Equinox afforders but maybe LA Fitness or the other cheaper gym memberships) could get their feelings hurt by these and other ads (the aforementioned Lexus December to Remember, etc.) and they have the right to speak out, to boycott, to voice their hurt, etc.

I also think that luxury or aspiration companies who cater to a segmented, very defined demographic (e.g. certain wealth, lifestyle, luxury, etc.) should be able to target their demographic as they see fit as long as they aren't purposefully hurting or offending people and so I appreciate Peloton's non-apology apology. "I said what I said and if you don't get it, our product isn't for you and that's okay for all parties involved. Maybe it will be for you one day or maybe one day we will come out with a product for you and then the message will be different."

Edited by Rougarou

People bitching about that commercial need to shut the fuck up and crawl back in their hole. I'll tell you what commercial needs to be criticized, the GMC Denali commercial where the dude gets his lady a new puppy and she barely reacts before giving him his new truck. That twat needs to be twat punched for her reaction to a puppy. 

31 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

To be honest, I understand how sensitive people (not even fat, but maybe just an average amount of chubby/unhealthy and not just poor folks, but solidly middle or lower middle class e.g. not LifeTime or Equinox afforders but maybe LA Fitness or the other cheaper gym memberships) could get their feelings hurt by these and other ads (the aforementioned Lexus December to Remember, etc.) and they have the right to speak out, to boycott, to voice their hurt, etc.

I also think that luxury or aspiration companies who cater to a segmented, very defined demographic (e.g. certain wealth, lifestyle, luxury, etc.) should be able to target their demographic as they see fit as long as they aren't purposefully hurting or offending people and so I appreciate Peloton's non-apology apology. "I said what I said and if you don't get it, our product isn't for you and that's okay for all parties involved. Maybe it will be for you one day or maybe one day we will come out with a product for you and then the message will be different."

Generally I agree with you.  If you don't like something your voice and your wallet are your weapons, but I don't think that's what happens today.  I don't think that many people are outraged, but plenty see an opportunity to get a lot of attention.  I think the great majority of those on the outrage side really don't care about this ad, but absolutely love all the internet high 5s when they slam the company.  To combat that, I agree with your second paragraph.  Quit feeding them by giving in.  Rich people will continue buying Lexuses and rich fit chicks will continue buying pelotons.

16 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Generally I agree with you.  If you don't like something your voice and your wallet are your weapons, but I don't think that's what happens today.  I don't think that many people are outraged, but plenty see an opportunity to get a lot of attention.  I think the great majority of those on the outrage side really don't care about this ad, but absolutely love all the internet high 5s when they slam the company.  To combat that, I agree with your second paragraph.  Quit feeding them by giving in.  Rich people will continue buying Lexuses and rich fit chicks will continue buying pelotons.

Worse, I think an unintended consequence of being extra-woke to the point where it causes more harm and division than any sort of awareness and change, is that from what I've seen and heard all the Peloton owners and fans of the brand are digging in and circling the wagons to defend Peloton/the brand/their lifestyle and product versus returning their bikes or canceling their memberships (unlike what happened with Equinox when the were outed a few months ago because owners through a Trump fundraiser, which is more in line with twitter/woketivism).

18 hours ago, XYZ said:

This was my first reaction. I didn't get it. 

18 hours ago, txhorns said:

17 hours ago, Parliament said:

You aren't sufficiently woke.  The Husband gave it to his wife as a message that she needs to lose weight, duh.

Someone explained the wokeness to me. Which got me thinking

Are they not mad at every other single commercial in the history of the world? Did I miss the memo where attractive people are not used in commercials anymore to sell shit?

3 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

People bitching about that commercial need to shut the fuck up and crawl back in their hole. I'll tell you what commercial needs to be criticized, the GMC Denali commercial where the dude gets his lady a new puppy and she barely reacts before giving him his new truck. That twat needs to be twat punched for her reaction to a puppy. 

That's a pretty awful commercial. "Look Honey, I got you a new $1,300 truck note!!!"

Anyone here have Peloton?  I gotta admit, I love the idea.  wife and I spin 3 times a week and it's the best exercise I've ever had, mainly because I have some cute hardbody in front of me yelling at me and showing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. . .sprinting, climbing, running, walking, hovering. . .not sure if that would translate into a home workout, but they are selling a shitload of the bikes.  I'm going to be in River Oaks tomorrow at a store next to the Peloton place, might stop in.

Edited by BearSchlong

20 hours ago, G650 said:

Lol.

Cringeworthy? Maybe, like a bunch of stupid ads this time of year. Sexist? Disturbing? All that other shit? Get the fuck out of here. Is it because of this face she's making? I've seen chicks make that face a lot trying to be sincere, it seems sort of fake, like a lot of hot chicks like this. At most it's bad acting on her part (also the "OMG a Peloton!!!"). Yeah, cringeworthingly bad acting.

But as far as sexist, etc., the theme of the commercial seems to me that she genuinely is excited for the bike in the ad, which suggests to me that she asked for or hinted at wanting one, which shouldn't be all that odd for a hot skinny rich chick. The dumbassery about a husband buying it out of thin air telling her to lose weight, well that's just stupid internet chatter by stupid internet morons.

The dumbest part of all this "backlash" are the comments that she's skinny to start out with. Do people really think only fat people should exercise? Has this entire country forgotten what it means to be healthy? There are a ton more reasons to exercise than to lose weight. Skinny people can have unhealthy hearts for a lot of reasons. It can be good for mental health, it can give you more energy, makes your heart healthier, I could go on and on. Maybe she doesn't like gyms and can now workout in the comfort of her mansion. 

It strikes me that Peloton struck a home run here. The people criticizing aren't in the market for a $2500 exercise bike to begin with. Those who want one aren't going to change their mind because of a stupid commercial. A lot of people who maybe didn't even know of this product now do because it's everywhere. Congratulations, Peloton, you did advertising right.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

That's a pretty awful commercial. "Look Honey, I got you a new $1,300 truck note!!!"

Anyone here have Peloton?  I gotta admit, I love the idea.  wife and I spin 3 times a week and it's the best exercise I've ever had, mainly because I have some cute hardbody in front of me yelling at me and showing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. . .sprinting, climbing, running, walking, hovering. . .not sure if that would translate into a home workout, but they are selling a shitload of the bikes.  I'm going to be in River Oaks tomorrow at a store next to the Peloton place, might stop in.

I spin twice a week and I like it. If I had a bunch of extra money and a big old extra room in my mansion, I'd buy one for sure, and I"m pretty sure I'd use it often. 

Peloton should release a revised commercial, acknowledging all the criticism about how the wife in the first commercial was already fit.

In the new commercial, the husband buys his overweight wife a Peloton and gives her a Christmas card that says "Start pedaling, lardass".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

The peloton commercial is stupid because the girl is already fit, acts terrified of the bike and then films some lame video diary of her journey. 
It’s just a dumb commercial. Fatties will get mad at anything though. 

Bingo and "Fatties will get mad at anything though" should be the title of its own thread.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It strikes me that Peloton struck a home run here.

They just cut their membership price in response, so that's probably a no.

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I spin twice a week and I like it.

Gay.

If anyone wants some good old school Peloton hilarity follow Clue Haywood on Twitter. He was way ahead of the curve.

1) a very, very, very good rule in life is "do not buy your wife a piece of exercise equipment unless she specifically asks for it."

That rule also applies to cleaning equipment and the like (vacuum cleaners, etc.)

2) spin classes are awesome.  Good workout, and you get to hang out with about a 10-1 ratio of lovely ladies for 45 minutes.

3) 2500 for a fucking exercise bike is absurd.  Even at $25 a class, that's the cost of 100 classes.  And a big part of the whole spin thing is that you're doing something with a supportive group, etc.

I ain't ever buying my wife a Peloton.  But I HAVE bought her 10 classes at Love Cycle, because she loves it and cycles with her friends.

• Like 1

Peloton should release the more accurate commercial which is a husband or wife getting their somewhat overweight spouse a Peloton for Christmas, the spouse using it for about a month, getting bored or discouraged, and then the viewers watch it go unused for the rest of the year. Cut to a year later and show the Peloton sitting in the corner with clothes draped all over it. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

FIFY

I have a cheap recumbent stationary bike in my office. After completing cardiac rehab in August, I have tried to keep up a minimum exercise schedule of 45 minutes three times a week on the thing while streaming Pachelbel’s Canon in D videos on the desktop. It is extremely relaxing and invigorating for me, and I feel good after each session & a long shower, then hydrating with a Powerade Zero.

However, I did celebrate my 75th birthday today by eating a Round Rock strawberry-filled donut.

Edited by Armybrat

1 hour ago, ajax said:

Peloton should release a revised commercial, acknowledging all the criticism about how the wife in the first commercial was already fit.

In the new commercial, the husband buys his overweight wife a Peloton and gives her a Christmas card that says "Start pedaling, or start packing. Lardass".

Fify

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1) a very, very, very good rule in life is "do not buy your wife a piece of exercise equipment unless she specifically asks for it."

That rule also applies to cleaning equipment and the like (vacuum cleaners, etc.)

2) spin classes are awesome.  Good workout, and you get to hang out with about a 10-1 ratio of lovely ladies for 45 minutes.

3) 2500 for a fucking exercise bike is absurd.  Even at $25 a class, that's the cost of 100 classes.  And a big part of the whole spin thing is that you're doing something with a supportive group, etc.

I ain't ever buying my wife a Peloton.  But I HAVE bought her 10 classes at Love Cycle, because she loves it and cycles with her friends.

Eh, we got one back in September. Wife loves it (and I like using it as well). And, frankly, buying it is cheaper for me than the classes. We have it on a no interest payment plan with Affirm. The bike is 64 a month and the membership is 40 bucks a month. The local spin place is like 18 bucks a class. So, if it is used more than 5 times a month, we are already better off. And that number is easily reached. Hell, before we were paying 100 a month for her unlimited yoga membership and would easily get 150 many months in spin classes. The bike has replaced all that and is a lot easier for her to use because she doesnt have to find somewhere else for the toddler to be. 

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Yeah, you know what's even better than a shit ass spin bike? An actual bicycle. Put it on a trainer and when it's nice outside go ride it.

Different purposes. You cant just go outside and find a steep hill to climb for 20 minutes on a regular bike. Even if one is available somewhere in your area, you have to pack everything up and get there first. It may be fun, but it isnt a reliable or efficient way to do intense workouts. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Different purposes. You cant just go outside and find a steep hill to climb for 20 minutes on a regular bike. Even if one is available somewhere in your area, you have to pack everything up and get there first. It may be fun, but it isnt a reliable or efficient way to do intense workouts

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, you know what's even better than a shit ass spin bike? An actual bicycle. Put it on a trainer and when it's nice outside go ride it.

JD-09-512.png

4 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

This dude says fuck Peloton.  He'll train for the Tour de France on the mean streets, thank you very much.

IMG-5651.jpg

I don't get how people get off on shitting on someone obviously tying to enjoy a recreational activity they're into and/or improve their health. 

• Like 6

Social media is twisting the message or intentionally misconstruing a commercial to provide justification for pretending to be outraged and act like assholes?  Shocked I tells ya!  People are just looking for outlet for their negativity and pretending to stand up for someone else makes it OK in their mind.  Go fuck yourselves and your phony outrage.

On the other hand, while probably hot, the chick's perpetually worried look about something as mundane as riding an exercise bike in her living room is annoying.  Anyone who feels the need to blog about starting to exercise or would stand in their own living room, arm outstretched, holding their phone trying to memorialize for social media an act that literally tends of millions of people so every day is not someone I could deal with.  

In short, there are no heroes in this story.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, SubliminalHorn said:

Because 1 in 3 Americans have it. It should be talked about. Once the liver develops cirrhosis, it’s too late to reverse it. Our shitty diets with no exercise is the leading cause. 

I feel like you aren't giving my alcohol consumption enough credit.

• Like 2