Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Parliament

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I don't get how people get off on shitting on someone obviously tying to enjoy a recreational activity they're into and/or improve their health. 

I ran the marathon in under 4 hours. The only thing I ever said about people who finished after me was that they worked harder than I did.

That dude is biking because it's the only thing he it's one of the only things he can do safely at that weight. He can't run or do most cardio. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

9 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

That dude is biking because it's the only thing he it's one of the only things he can do safely at that weight. He can't run or do most cardio. 

It's something you can do in the safety and security of your own home.  I get it.  As stated, at least he's doing something.  You can do your thing without leaving or having to get ready.  As I've gotten older, I'm working out more and doing almost all of it at home.  Done with the gym. 

Tons of bodyweight stuff.  Pushups.  Pullups.  Burpies.  Squats.  Kettlebells.  TRX straps.  Lots of rucking with a pack I keep in the truck.  You just have to find your jam and grind it out.  

If I had the space, I'd love to get a water rower at the house.  Maybe a airdyne bike to go with it.  

On 12/5/2019 at 3:50 PM, Mach 1 said:

This dude says fuck Peloton.  He'll train for the Tour de France on the mean streets, thank you very much.

IMG-5651.jpg

Is there some law that says you can’t ride a bike wearing a pair of cutoffs and a t-shirt anymore.  Do you really need to be aerodynamic to pedal around town.

58 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Is there some law that says you can’t ride a bike wearing a pair of cutoffs and a t-shirt anymore.  Do you really need to be aerodynamic to pedal around town.

No, but you want to wear bright colors so you don't get killed by assholes. When you're dead you can't ride anymore.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2019 at 2:14 PM, BearSchlong said:

That's a pretty awful commercial. "Look Honey, I got you a new $1,300 truck note!!!"

Anyone here have Peloton?  I gotta admit, I love the idea.  wife and I spin 3 times a week and it's the best exercise I've ever had, mainly because I have some cute hardbody in front of me yelling at me and showing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. . .sprinting, climbing, running, walking, hovering. . .not sure if that would translate into a home workout, but they are selling a shitload of the bikes.  I'm going to be in River Oaks tomorrow at a store next to the Peloton place, might stop in.

I have one and really like it. It is a great workout and a good complement to other stuff I do. The instructors include fitness bunnies to former/current TdF riders. There is a supportive online community if that is your thing (I could care less). You can make it competitive with the output leaderboard or with your previous personal best.  I am pretty much toasted after a 45-60 min class. It is expensive, but we all waste money on hobbies and interests. There are some pretty good yoga classes that you can stream off the bike as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topochico said:

I have one and really like it. It is a great workout and a good complement to other stuff I do. The instructors include fitness bunnies to former/current TdF riders. There is a supportive online community if that is your thing (I could care less). You can make it competitive with the output leaderboard or with your previous personal best.  I am pretty much toasted after a 45-60 min class. It is expensive, but we all waste money on hobbies and interests. There are some pretty good yoga classes that you can stream off the bike as well. 

No offense but Duh. we all know the Peloton is nice and cool and have one or have friends that have one. This is more about their attempts to market how nice and cool their bike is.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

No offense but Duh. we all know the Peloton is nice and cool and have one or have friends that have one. This is more about their attempts to market how nice and cool their bike is.

None taken. My response was specifically to answer Bear who literally asked if anyone here had one. 

• Like 1

As far as I am concerned the CEO of Peloton is a genius. Sales lagging? Do the counterintuitive! Increase price, increase margin, and sell a shit ton of these bikes with a recurring subscription which wall street loves.

I saw a sprinter van in the neighborhood with about a dozen of those bikes inside yesterday. Somebodies wife on my street must be fat. 

On 12/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

A few years ago I was nursing a groin injury and it prevented me from doing any sprint (running) training.  As a substitute I bought an old Marin mountain bike off of Craigslist and was able to find a nice hill for cycle sprints in a new subdivision going in about a mile away.   This area is kind of rural but we get bike traffic groups coming through all the time.

It seemed like every time I was on the way to my hill sprints I would pass a group of not so in shape cyclists loaded up with all kinds of crazy gear.  I was wearing some gym shorts and a baseball cap and I had a water bottle.  Got a few dirty looks.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the difference between a bike on a trainer and a peloton from a workout perspective?  Seems like the most versatile option would be to take the $2500 and invest in a bike/trainer, but I guess there are people that like to spin for the exercise but have zero desire to do it outside on a bike?  Or is this consumer base wealthy enough that they likely own both just for the hell of it?

On 12/9/2019 at 3:13 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

A few years ago I was nursing a groin injury and it prevented me from doing any sprint (running) training.  As a substitute I bought an old Marin mountain bike off of Craigslist and was able to find a nice hill for cycle sprints in a new subdivision going in about a mile away.   This area is kind of rural but we get bike traffic groups coming through all the time.

It seemed like every time I was on the way to my hill sprints I would pass a group of not so in shape cyclists loaded up with all kinds of crazy gear.  I was wearing some gym shorts and a baseball cap and I had a water bottle.  Got a few dirty looks.

I ride my Sondors electric bike in bathrobe and slippers to get coffee on weekends. Often pass a group of spandex warriors going up hill On the way back. You can smell the hate. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Methinks (mehopes?) he doesn't know what a trainer is, in this context.

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-indoor-bike-trainer

I just misunderstood his post. It seems like to get the same feature set you're looking at spending roughly the same money. The cheaper trainers are going to be noisier, have less resistance settings,  and not integrate with an app in any appreciable way. And if you're like me and don't already have a bike, you're actually spending more on the trainer and bike combo. 

On 12/9/2019 at 3:13 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Yeah, I wear whatever it was I was wearing earlier in the day when I ride my mountain bike. The wife thinks I'm dumb, but she would think that regardless. I also used to have a habit of wearing jeans to the gym. 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What is the difference between a bike on a trainer and a peloton from a workout perspective?  Seems like the most versatile option would be to take the $2500 and invest in a bike/trainer, but I guess there are people that like to spin for the exercise but have zero desire to do it outside on a bike?  Or is this consumer base wealthy enough that they likely own both just for the hell of it?

I assume the quality would be equivalent of the top tier trainer (the lower and midtier resistance levels are often worthless or inconsistent at best). I think the difference is having the interactive coaching and live competitions with others. And yeah, there are tons of people who prefer indoor workouts. Treadmills and exercise bikes as opposed to running or cycling. I do both, but I don't have any problem with people who stick to the indoor workouts. Running and cycling outside can be a pain in the ass, but I enjoy it. You're probably also right that the consumer base for this product wouldn't really care either way. 

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I ride my Sondors electric bike in bathrobe and slippers to get coffee on weekends. Often pass a group of spandex warriors going up hill On the way back. You can smell the hate. 

I kind of get the same looks when at the deer lease and I don't bother to get out of my pajamas and slippers when I go to the blind.  Meanwhile everybody else is all camouflaged up like they are are going to be tracking Caribou across the Northwest Territory instead of shooting corn trained whitetails from a commercial blind at 30 paces.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I assume the quality would be equivalent of the top tier trainer (the lower and midtier resistance levels are often worthless or inconsistent at best). I think the difference is having the interactive coaching and live competitions with others. And yeah, there are tons of people who prefer indoor workouts. Treadmills and exercise bikes as opposed to running or cycling. I do both, but I don't have any problem with people who stick to the indoor workouts. Running and cycling outside can be a pain in the ass, but I enjoy it. You're probably also right that the consumer base for this product wouldn't really care either way. 

Seems like a market opportunity to start a business that tales care of the social media side of these workouts.

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Well, how about a decent spin bike with a cell phone holder to follow along with workouts on youtube. I guess Peloton has a bigger screen? I honestly don't know. Or maybe Peloton has customized programs.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:41 PM, ajax said:

Well, how about a decent spin bike with a cell phone holder to follow along with workouts on youtube. I guess Peloton has a bigger screen? I honestly don't know. Or maybe Peloton has customized programs.

Other than the "live competition" with other riders if you want that to motivate you, the main advantage of the Peloton bike is the trainers will call out resistance or output ranges to shoot for during the workout. Honesty, you can get a gym quality spin bike and use the iPad app subscription for lower price point if you want to guess a bit on output numbers.

The cheapest way is to wait out the Christmas/New Years resolution people and pick up their barely used Peloton for cheap on CL/FB Marketplace. 

Edited by topochico

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly a month after Jillian Michaels warned of the dangers of “glamorizing” obesity, the trainer and former Biggest Loser host gave her two cents about society’s celebration of body-positive singer Lizzo and said “it isn’t gonna be awesome if she gets diabetes.”

The 45-year-old was making an appearance on BuzzFeed News’s live Twitter show AM to DM on Wednesday when she was asked about the comments that she made about obesity during her earlier Women’s Health U.K interview.

“You cannot glorify obesity,” Michaels repeated on the digital show. “It’s dangerous. It kills people.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/lifestyle/jillian-michaels-criticizes-lizzo-body-diabetes-223919002.html

• Like 1

Its a touching the 3rd rail issue, but the body-positive movement shouldn't ignore that being obese is bad for you.  Just as fashion magazines have started to ban anorexic models from their covers perhaps they should do the same for obese women since both conditions are extremely dangerous for women.   Of course, there are more and more obese women now, and a magazine with an obese model must sell well and/or garner attention.

My favorite is that obese is practically becoming the O-word. 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, topochico said:

Other than the "live competition" with other riders if you want that to motivate you, the main advantage of the Peloton bike is the trainers will call out resistance or output ranges to shoot for during the workout. Honesty, you can get a gym quality spin bike and use the iPad app subscription for lower price point if you want to guess a bit on output numbers.

The cheapest way is to wait out the Christmas/New Years resolution people and pick up their barely used Peloton for cheap on CL/FB Marketplace. 

Dude, a power meter is like 300 bucks.

21 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Nearly a month after Jillian Michaels warned of the dangers of “glamorizing” obesity, the trainer and former Biggest Loser host gave her two cents about society’s celebration of body-positive singer Lizzo and said “it isn’t gonna be awesome if she gets diabetes.”

The 45-year-old was making an appearance on BuzzFeed News’s live Twitter show AM to DM on Wednesday when she was asked about the comments that she made about obesity during her earlier Women’s Health U.K interview.

“You cannot glorify obesity,” Michaels repeated on the digital show. “It’s dangerous. It kills people.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/lifestyle/jillian-michaels-criticizes-lizzo-body-diabetes-223919002.html

She is getting eviscerated for these comments but she’s not wrong. Lizzo is obese. She’s statistically more likely to suffer from diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. There is nothing wrong with body positivity, but there is also nothing wrong with promoting healthy life choices. 

On 12/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm guessing the guy is part of a bike rally club or something based on the completely matching uniform.  That said, it's a little over the top if he's not actually riding with his crew or in a rally or race.

As for cutoffs and t-shirts, wear what like, but if you're riding a road bike the seat will chafe and bruise you like a mofo even if you wear padded bike shorts.  I've laid off biking and spinning over the last year and am dreading the first few weeks of getting back on the horse (literally and figuratively) to get my seat back into riding shape.

• Like 1