Jump to content
Parliament

Fit Shaming, Fat Shaming and Body Positivity in general

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

 

I don't get how people get off on shitting on someone obviously tying to enjoy a recreational activity they're into and/or improve their health. 

I ran the marathon in under 4 hours. The only thing I ever said about people who finished after me was that they worked harder than I did.

That dude is biking because it's the only thing he it's one of the only things he can do safely at that weight. He can't run or do most cardio. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big boy on the bike is out making it happen unlike most of our slovenly, lazy ass country. I have a lot more respect for him than upper middle twig bitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

That dude is biking because it's the only thing he it's one of the only things he can do safely at that weight. He can't run or do most cardio. 

It's something you can do in the safety and security of your own home.  I get it.  As stated, at least he's doing something.  You can do your thing without leaving or having to get ready.  As I've gotten older, I'm working out more and doing almost all of it at home.  Done with the gym. 

Tons of bodyweight stuff.  Pushups.  Pullups.  Burpies.  Squats.  Kettlebells.  TRX straps.  Lots of rucking with a pack I keep in the truck.  You just have to find your jam and grind it out.  

If I had the space, I'd love to get a water rower at the house.  Maybe a airdyne bike to go with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 3:50 PM, Mach 1 said:

This dude says fuck Peloton.  He'll train for the Tour de France on the mean streets, thank you very much.

 

IMG-5651.jpg

Is there some law that says you can’t ride a bike wearing a pair of cutoffs and a t-shirt anymore.  Do you really need to be aerodynamic to pedal around town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Is there some law that says you can’t ride a bike wearing a pair of cutoffs and a t-shirt anymore.  Do you really need to be aerodynamic to pedal around town.

No, but you want to wear bright colors so you don't get killed by assholes. When you're dead you can't ride anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 2:14 PM, BearSchlong said:

That's a pretty awful commercial. "Look Honey, I got you a new $1,300 truck note!!!"

Anyone here have Peloton?  I gotta admit, I love the idea.  wife and I spin 3 times a week and it's the best exercise I've ever had, mainly because I have some cute hardbody in front of me yelling at me and showing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. . .sprinting, climbing, running, walking, hovering. . .not sure if that would translate into a home workout, but they are selling a shitload of the bikes.  I'm going to be in River Oaks tomorrow at a store next to the Peloton place, might stop in.

I have one and really like it. It is a great workout and a good complement to other stuff I do. The instructors include fitness bunnies to former/current TdF riders. There is a supportive online community if that is your thing (I could care less). You can make it competitive with the output leaderboard or with your previous personal best.  I am pretty much toasted after a 45-60 min class. It is expensive, but we all waste money on hobbies and interests. There are some pretty good yoga classes that you can stream off the bike as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, topochico said:

I have one and really like it. It is a great workout and a good complement to other stuff I do. The instructors include fitness bunnies to former/current TdF riders. There is a supportive online community if that is your thing (I could care less). You can make it competitive with the output leaderboard or with your previous personal best.  I am pretty much toasted after a 45-60 min class. It is expensive, but we all waste money on hobbies and interests. There are some pretty good yoga classes that you can stream off the bike as well. 

No offense but Duh. we all know the Peloton is nice and cool and have one or have friends that have one. This is more about their attempts to market how nice and cool their bike is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

...This is more about their attempts to market how nice and cool their bike is.

Not quite. It’s about laughing at people who are “offended” at the commercial. 

Edited by destroya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this whole peloton ad outrage thing falls under the “fit shaming” category? Is that what fit shaming is, fatties getting mad at fit people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

No offense but Duh. we all know the Peloton is nice and cool and have one or have friends that have one. This is more about their attempts to market how nice and cool their bike is.

None taken. My response was specifically to answer Bear who literally asked if anyone here had one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

So, she lose weight and get toned, or are you hanging clothes on it?

Just a sweat towel hanging on it now. Had I put it in our bedroom there would very likely be clothes hanging on it... therefore I opted for the office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, destroya said:

Not quite. It’s about laughing at people who are “offended” at the commercial. 

I'm not sure any actual human is offended. Most of us are pointing and laughing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I am concerned the CEO of Peloton is a genius. Sales lagging? Do the counterintuitive! Increase price, increase margin, and sell a shit ton of these bikes with a recurring subscription which wall street loves.

I saw a sprinter van in the neighborhood with about a dozen of those bikes inside yesterday. Somebodies wife on my street must be fat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 8:45 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Is there some law that says you can’t ride a bike wearing a pair of cutoffs and a t-shirt anymore.  Do you really need to be aerodynamic to pedal around town.

A few years ago I was nursing a groin injury and it prevented me from doing any sprint (running) training.  As a substitute I bought an old Marin mountain bike off of Craigslist and was able to find a nice hill for cycle sprints in a new subdivision going in about a mile away.   This area is kind of rural but we get bike traffic groups coming through all the time.

It seemed like every time I was on the way to my hill sprints I would pass a group of not so in shape cyclists loaded up with all kinds of crazy gear.  I was wearing some gym shorts and a baseball cap and I had a water bottle.  Got a few dirty looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can promise that no one is looking stupider than me right now. At least i get to walk in front of a bar to go to Pilates. Should be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...