The Andy Griffith Show

Sbbruin

Over halfway done with Season 1. The show was a lot more tame back then. Not all of the shenanigans and crazy characters that came to be later. Barney had not rounded into his peak form yet. Christmas Story so far is my favorite on my rewatch. Always liked this one. Ben being a scrooge at first but then tries his best to get arrested so he can spend Christmas with everyone in the courthouse.

I forgot how good Ellie was. Very attractive and didn't take any shit. I am doing some reading while watching and hearing that Andy Griffith did not see her in high regards and basically just had a job based on her looks and she was lucky to have the job. So she could not wait ti quit once her contract ended.

Another thing I never really remembered was Floyd The Barber was originally played by a guy named Walter Baldwin. Then in mid season, the main one every remembers steps in played by Howard McNear. But I seem to see Howard McNear playing a character named Floyd in an episode where the original Floyd The Barber was still active. He was at a roundtable with the mayor. Anyone know the story on this?

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Over halfway done with Season 1. The show was a lot more tame back then. Not all of the shenanigans and crazy characters that came to be later. Barney had not rounded into his peak form yet. Christmas Story so far is my favorite on my rewatch. Always liked this one. Ben being a scrooge at first but then tries his best to get arrested so he can spend Christmas with everyone in the courthouse.

I forgot how good Ellie was. Very attractive and didn't take any shit. I am doing some reading while watching and hearing that Andy Griffith did not see her in high regards and basically just had a job based on her looks and she was lucky to have the job. So she could not wait ti quit once her contract ended.

Another thing I never really remembered was Floyd The Barber was originally played by a guy named Walter Baldwin. Then in mid season, the main one every remembers steps in played by Howard McNear. But I seem to see Howard McNear playing a character named Floyd in an episode where the original Floyd The Barber was still active. He was at a roundtable with the mayor. Anyone know the story on this?

Floyd had a stroke at some point during the series I believe (fucking love Floyd and his delivery of lines), and Aint Bee was a total bitch in real life.

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Floyd had a stroke at some point during the series I believe (fucking love Floyd and his delivery of lines), and Aint Bee was a total bitch in real life.

Yes I have heard Floyd was so bad off, that he never stood up anymore and talked pretty slow. It was just weird how they changed barbers mid season like nothing but he kept the same name.

I also heard the same thing about Aunt Bea. She was supposedly an established actor already and felt she above that role. She felt she was above the rest of the cast. I also heard Andy himself could be a real bitch to deal with depending on whom you ask.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes I have heard Floyd was so bad off, that he never stood up anymore and talked pretty slow. It was just weird how they changed barbers mid season like nothing but he kept the same name.

I also heard the same thing about Aunt Bea. She was supposedly an established actor already and felt she above that role. She felt she was above the rest of the cast. I also heard Andy himself could be a real bitch to deal with depending on whom you ask.

Well he was a bit of a total drunk so there's that, unfortunately.  Check out his what it was was football stand up bit. They used to play it on Super Bowl Sunday, till those assholes got all uptight and acted like football was super serious shit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah I hated when that happened in shows. RIP original Morty Seinfeld.

Image result for Morty Seinfeld

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well he was a bit of a total drunk so there's that, unfortunately.  Check out his what it was was football stand up bit. They used to play it on Super Bowl Sunday, till those assholes got all uptight and acted like football was super serious shit.

I always knew Don Knotts was a heavy drinker but didn't know that about Andy.

I was reading on a sitcom message board, that Andy Griffith played a wide range of characters in his career, including more sinister roles like a murderer and the likes. Is this true? I'd like to see how he is in those roles. I looked on IMDB but it looked like he mainly appeared in tv series. When I think of Andy, I think of Andy Griffith and Ben Matlock. I am not familiar with him much outside of that.

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was reading on a sitcom message board, that Andy Griffith played a wide range of characters in his career, including more sinister roles like a murderer and the likes. Is this true? I'd like to see how he is in those roles. I looked on IMDB but it looked like he mainly appeared in tv series. When I think of Andy, I think of Andy Griffith and Ben Matlock. I am not familiar with him much outside of that.

Yeah watching No Time for Sergeants after TAGS and Matlock is hard to do. It just feels wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I was reading on a sitcom message board, that Andy Griffith played a wide range of characters in his career, including more sinister roles like a murderer and the likes. Is this true? I'd like to see how he is in those roles. I looked on IMDB but it looked like he mainly appeared in tv series.

You need to check out Savages. It's a made for TV movie, but it's pretty good and a complete 180 from the roles you normally see Andy in.

• Like 1

There's a reason I have every B/W episode of Andy Griffith show on my home streaming server.  I started subjecting the offspring to it years ago.
Along with every episode of:
I Dream of Jeannie
Gomer Pyle
I Love Lucy
Gilligan's Island
Plus all 39 episodes of The Honeymooners.  
I also introduced my youngest (age 6) to the Adam West Batman series 3 years ago.  My thoughts were the bright colors and campiness of the series would interest her.  It worked.

Adam West Batman is the one true Batman. All other Batman are ass my dude.

35 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah major alcoholic , knots was a big ladies man and Andy did a TV movie where he plays a killer.

• Like 1

My favorites:

The Darlings

The High School Reunion

Earnest T. Bass tries to join the Army

The first season Christmas Episode

The one where Barney sings so bad the community chorus tries to change the rehearsal nights. Andy comes up with an idea to make Barney think he’s singing so loud in a mic that he’s whispering while a much better singer is singing behind the curtain. 

There are so many that are classics. And I have a hard time seeing Andy or Don Knotts in other roles. I do have a box set of Knotts movies that are cheesy but pretty funny. 

Just now, Brandywine said:

The one where Barney sings so bad the community chorus tries to change the rehearsal nights. Andy comes up with an idea to make Barney think he’s singing so loud in a mic that he’s whispering while a much better singer is singing behind the curtain. 

Forgot about that one.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah, Barney didn't really get going in his more complete character until season 2.  They knew they had lightening in a bottle and had to craft the episodes to feature his shenanigans.  They must've played up the misfired gun bit about 50 times, but it never got old for me.  Would have loved if he had accidentally shot that cocksucker Mayor Stoner in the junk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I also heard Andy himself could be a real bitch to deal with depending on whom you ask.

In the "Aunt Bee the Warden" episode, in the beginning, Andy brings in some moonshiners (which is why Otis couldn't stay there) and his hand is all bandaged.  It was explained away in the episode as a scuffle with the cons, but in reality he had put his hand through a wall in a fit of rage (and maybe booze).

DZLJO-1490715654-8126-list_items-andydet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah watching No Time for Sergeants after TAGS and Matlock is hard to do. It just feels wrong. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

You need to check out Savages. It's a made for TV movie, but it's pretty good and a complete 180 from the roles you normally see Andy in.

49 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Thanks! Will download Savages when I get home this evening. Just looked it up and looking forward to seeing Andy play a character of that nature.

Check out "A Face in the Crowd." It was after No Time for Sergeants and before the Andy Griffith Show. He plays a degenerate guitar picker named Lonesome Rhodes, who puts on a folksy front but is a dark con man. He's the lead character, and it was an important film for getting him the acting reputation for later roles. 

• Like 4

Or he had enough of Aunt Bea’s pickles and bitchslapped her. 

Another episode I like is when the ex-con comes to visit and Barney thinks he’s out for revenge but the con comes back to give Andy a Rifle in appreciation for changing his life. 

Edited by Underdog

Just now, Underdog said:

R he had enough of Aunt Bea’s pickles and bitchslapped her. 

Another episode I like is when the ex-con comes to visit and Barney thinks he’s out for revenge but the con comes back to give Andy a Rifle in appreciation for changing his life. 

I was thinking the caption was, "Don't worry, Bea. Opie ain't gonna kill any more birds with a slingshot. 

35 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, Barney didn't really get going in his more complete character until season 2.  They knew they had lightening in a bottle and had to craft the episodes to feature his shenanigans.  They must've played up the misfired gun bit about 50 times, but it never got old for me.  Would have loved if he had accidentally shot that cocksucker Mayor Stoner in the junk.

Yeah in the episode where that criminal con man comes into town and ends up pointing the gun at Andy (Andy thinks it isn't loaded) but then Andy fires it at the end and it goes off. This has already been multiple times where the one bullet and Barney accidentally firing the gun is in the show.

53 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Check out "A Face in the Crowd." It was after No Time for Sergeants and before the Andy Griffith Show. He plays a degenerate guitar picker named Lonesome Rhodes, who puts on a folksy front but is a dark con man. He's the lead character, and it was an important film for getting him the acting reputation for later roles. 

A face in the Crowd is an all time top 10 movie for me, and should be viewed by everyone.  Everybody in that is top shelf, Andy, Patricia, Walter and Tony.  

Vitajax oh what ya do to me...........

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

Great flick.

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

One of the greatest movies of all time.

Highly recommend the book “Andy & Don” if you’re a fan of the show - was written by Don’s brother in law, Daniel de Visé. Tells the story of both of their early lives/childhoods and their real life friendship. Not a smear job by any means but does uncover the real people behind their characters/public personas. Very entertaining and a quick read.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bull Horn said:

Highly recommend the book “Andy & Don” if you’re a fan of the show - was written by Don’s brother in law, Daniel de Visé. Tells the story of both of their early lives/childhoods and their real life friendship. Not a smear job by any means but does uncover the real people behind their characters/public personas. Very entertaining and a quick read.

Yeah, Andy and Don did become very close friends for the rest of their lives from that show.  I think I’ll pick that up.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:08 AM, pokeNbeans said:

Some really cool home movies taken "on set" by the Howard family. 

Great find......I think it was the greatest show in television history.

The Forty Acres (what the set was called) has a very interesting history.

https://www.facebook.com/40AcresStudioBacklot/

https://denniscooperblog.com/ghost-town-a-brief-history-of-40-acres-california-1926-1976/

• Like 1