The Andy Griffith Show

Sbbruin

Was Barney's side piece Juanita? He is dating Thelma Lou at this point but towards the end of season 1, Juanita is introduced with Barney making a few phone calls to her. This episode, Barney starts to sing to her and Andy behind him joins him and makes him upset haha.

I still think it's weird Thelma Lou was never introduced in this show. She just shows up on the couch with Barney and they are now dating. No background on her or what she does.

2 other episodes i like are when Andy’s relative comes to visit and talks big game but when given the opportunity to help catch some dangerous criminals, he hightails it out of Mayberry with his family.  

Otis’ relative that Otis tries to impress by being a Deputy but the relative ends up being the town drunk back home like Otis.  

The one where Floyd has a lady pen pal and talks a big game, then she comes to visit. The banker is out of town so they borrow his house, Andy pretends to be Floyd's son then Opie shows up and Floyd says that's his other son. Opie is like wtf?

Might have been checkpoint chickie, but I always remember seeing the (an?) episode where Barney is using a stopwatch to determine the speed of vehicles and writing tickets.  Confused my young brain. Was not confused by the greatness of knots, however. 

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I wouldn't doubt that for a second. There are a few episodes where he plays the random voice on a radio broadcast.

In fact, they said most of the actors who played on here were educated. I want to look up some of their other roles. I'd like to see how Otis Campbell is in other movies. You can tell he articulates himself very well. When he received that award for being the descendant of some Civil War hero, he talked very proper and cleaned up well. I'd like to see Goober and Ernest T in other roles as well. See how wide range their acting abilities are. I don't know of these actors outside of this show seeing how they were well before my time.

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I read that the actor who plays Ernest T Bass was very well educated and intelligent. 

He was a mainstay character player and voice actor on TV in the 50s and 60s, and often played brainy types, and just about everything else.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'd like to see how Otis Campbell is in other movies. You can tell he articulates himself very well.

I remember seeing him in random roles in old TV westerns. It looks like the majority of his work was as a cartoon voice actor.

Spoiler

He was Goliath in Davey & Goliath

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I thought Earnest T was actually a writer on the show.

Edit: wiki says I’m full of shit

According to IMDB, he did direct 8 episodes, including the classic Barney's Physical.

The Andy Griffith Show (TV Series) (8 episodes)

- The Darling Baby (1964)

Too lazy to look but what was the show AG had where he was like some scraps/salvage business owner?

I seem to remember a made for TV movie from when I was a kid where he played a salvage dealer who built a homemade rocket and went to the moon to salvage all the stuff NASA left there. I don’t remember anything else about it except that the rocket used a console shifter from a mustang as a throttle control.

I just looked it up. It was a short lived series called Salvage 1 that aired for one year when I was at UT. I must be remembering the pilot.

I remember Don Knotts came to Austin for the premier of his movie The Reluctant Astronaut at the old Capital Plaza Cinema and I went with my younger brother.

The actual premier was held in Houston a day or so before he made the appearance here.

It would have been in 1967.

15741500%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Edited by Steamboat1874

Getting towards the end of Season 4, I have seen this actor named Allan Melvin at least 6 times playing 6 different characters. Latest one was the escaped prisoner while Andy is on vacation. I think he played the butcher in a future episode who wants to fight Barney after getting a citation.

melvin_a.jpg