The Andy Griffith Show

Sbbruin

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

glare from the light on the ceiling.  

Turn the light off or take the photo from a different angle. Are you watching tv with that glare all the time?

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

who the fuck cares? The dog is what's important. 

Take some pride in your work. Composition matters. At least you didn't shoot it in portrait mode. 

After running through all the black/white episodes in order early this year and being a fan of this show since a child, I wanted to find some literature on stories of the cast behind the scenes. Anyone have any good recommendations on books that touch on this? I think I read that one of the cast members has a tell all book but it's written from a vindictive perspective because they didn't feel they were treated right.

Edited by Vic Mackey

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

After running through all the black/white episodes in order early this year and being a fan of this show since a child, I wanted to find some literature on stories of the cast behind the scenes. Anyone have any good recommendations on books that touch on this? I think I read that one of the cast members has a tell all book but it's written from a vindictive perspective because they didn't feel they were treated right.

No, but there's a lot of stuff online.  It was well known Aunt Bee didn't really get along with Andy IRL.  Thought he was a taskmaster and a dick, and I guess there wasn't a lot of disputing that.  And Barney was an apparent ladies man.  Rumors of him packing a Milton Berle hog.  But that could be legend.  But had to be something Thelma Lou saw in him.  She was way above his league imo.  

So Barney is ragey that they installed a stamp machine at the post office.  He doesn't think the government should be tranactin' business through a slot machine.  He is so mad he even wrote a letter to the Postmaster General about it.  He didn't mail it though.  He refused to buy a stamp from that machine. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No, but there's a lot of stuff online.  It was well known Aunt Bee didn't really get along with Andy IRL.  Thought he was a taskmaster and a dick, and I guess there wasn't a lot of disputing that.  And Barney was an apparent ladies man.  Rumors of him packing a Milton Berle hog.  But that could be legend.  But had to be something Thelma Lou saw in him.  She was way above his league imo.  

Yeah, story goes that Barney was hung like Tommy Lee. 

53 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So Barney is ragey that they installed a stamp machine at the post office.  He doesn't think the government should be tranactin' business through a slot machine.  He is so mad he even wrote a letter to the Postmaster General about it.  He didn't mail it though.  He refused to buy a stamp from that machine. 

I feel like I've seen every episode 6 bajillion times, and this one doesn't ring a bell.  Is it in color?  If so, that probably explains it - I usually don't waste my time with those.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:15 PM, Vic Mackey said:

In 9 days?  That's impressive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Lol. Keep forgetting we are in a new year. Early 2019 I did this. Although I stopped after the black/white episodes. Never watched any of the colored episodes (no racist) and don't really care to. I hear Andy gets even more ornery and irritated with everyone as he did towards the end of the black/white episodes.

I got to wondering who the bluegrass family actually was, ends up a family band from Salem Mo., save for the father and daughter. The 3 guys sitting on the bed, playing music were a real blue grass band, their songs (appeared in a handful of episodes) .... Talking about the episode where we first meet Ernest T Bass. 

Anyways, it's my favorite show, 2 episodes every night

26 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I got to wondering who the bluegrass family actually was, ends up a family band from Salem Mo., save for the father and daughter. The 3 guys sitting on the bed, playing music were a real blue grass band, their songs (appeared in a handful of episodes) .... Talking about the episode where we first meet Ernest T Bass. 

Anyways, it's my favorite show, 2 episodes every night

Yep, the Dillards IIRC.  Except for Briscoe and Charlene of course

On 1/7/2020 at 1:10 PM, Native Horn said:

I feel like I've seen every episode 6 bajillion times, and this one doesn't ring a bell.  Is it in color?  If so, that probably explains it - I usually don't waste my time with those.

It's in season 1, about episode 8 or 9?  My 17 yo has gotten hooked on this show, so we've started from the beginning.  Odd thing is, as long as I have been exposed to this series, I don't remember seeing most of the season 1 episodes in reruns.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lol. Keep forgetting we are in a new year. Early 2019 I did this. Although I stopped after the black/white episodes. Never watched any of the colored episodes (no racist) and don't really care to. I hear Andy gets even more ornery and irritated with everyone as he did towards the end of the black/white episodes.

More importantly Barney left after season 5, so no point in watching after that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

More importantly Barney left after season 5, so no point in watching after that.

Agreed. The show hit its peak when Barney hit his peak which was into season 2-4. Early on, Barney was more lowkey and less zany. And the episodes while good, were not the same as when Barney rounded into form. Barney made the show for me.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Only tangentially related, but if anybody gets a chance to see the movie that put Andy Griffith on the map, "A Face in the Crowd,"  WATCH it.  Really a great movie and a different side of Andy's acting chops.  Directed by the immortal Elia Kazan.

Another great example of his acting chops post AGS is the little seen 1974 TV movie Savages. Andy is an evil motherfucker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Barney got kicked out of the boarding house, and now he's trying to fuck Thelma Lou in the courthouse, and Andy and Opie cockblock him.

Man, I need to get a different cable provider. My guide channel has a completely different program description for that episode.

On 1/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, Underdog said:

Those cholas he fucks don't get that big from exercise.

On 1/9/2020 at 6:16 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Barney made the show for me.

Barney made the show for everyone, sir.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Oh shit.

It’s “citizen’s arrest”

Swear I'm not watching tonight's episode, but that phrase popped in my head as I clicked on the thread title.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...