The Andy Griffith Show

Sbbruin

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 6:15 AM, EastTexan said:

My favorite, of many, is when Barney is recruited for the church choir. He's so bad they kill his mic and Gomer sings his part. Barney's reaction is, well only, truly Barney. As many have said, Barney made the show.

Those are two different episodes.  Another guy sings his part on the dead mic.  In the other Gomer replaces Barney as the main tenor and then Gomer acts like he has laryngitis because he feels bad.  Don’t mean to be the AGS police.

Had to take the day off as we get our birthday of but you can take it any day in that month.  Was running out of time to take it. This one is on, which is spectacular.  Barney finds a quarter million and then tries to entrap the crook who stole.

83D718A6-31B0-4303-974C-48EBA8FAB3E4.png

E84E350C-04B9-4C96-921D-D6FADAA3F543.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Those are two different episodes.  Another guy sings his part on the dead mic.  In the other Gomer replaces Barney as the main tenor and then Gomer acts like he has laryngitis because he feels bad.  Don’t mean to be the AGS police.

Had to take the day off as we get our birthday of but you can take it any day in that month.  Was running out of time to take it. This one is on, which is spectacular.  Barney finds a quarter million and then tries to entrap the crook who stole.

83D718A6-31B0-4303-974C-48EBA8FAB3E4.png

E84E350C-04B9-4C96-921D-D6FADAA3F543.jpeg

Gotcha. Have not seen them in a while and I'm old. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, EastTexan said:

My favorite, of many, is when Barney is recruited for the church choir. He's so bad they kill his mic and Gomer sings his part. Barney's reaction is, well only, truly Barney. As many have said, Barney made the show.

And Andy knew this. Andy was originally cast to be the rube country bumpkin Sheriff, like his stand up comedy characters. He was supposed to be the funny one. When Barney was cast Andy realized he was going to be the guy who gets the laughs and shifted the dynamics of the show. Andy became the straight guy teeing up Barney, by design.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 5:09 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

NSIAP

Woke up to this on PBS today:

E5779257-81CC-4EA4-994F-120EDE415ADB.thumb.png.0072ededcd5587144239300311254733.png

PBS host chick is smoke, even under shitty amatuer video lighting. A small reflector would do wonders.

The Dillards rule. I always thought Dooley was an old folk song that they did, but I only recently discovered it was actually a Dillard's original, written by Mitch Jayne, the bass player.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DougO said:

And Andy knew this. Andy was originally cast to be the rube country bumpkin Sheriff, like his stand up comedy characters. He was supposed to be the funny one. When Barney was cast Andy realized he was going to be the guy who gets the laughs and shifted the dynamics of the show. Andy became the straight guy teeing up Barney, by design.

And wholesome Andy and slapstick Barney made a near perfect show.  A comedy with heart and character.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DougO said:

If you watch the first season early Andy is the goofy one. It definitely changed once Andy figured out Barney was the comic and he should be the straight man.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

If you watch the first season early Andy is the goofy one. It definitely changed once Andy figured out Barney was the comic and he should be the straight man.

And good for him for stepping aside and letting Don Knotts be the comedic relief on the show. Many actors would not do this, especially those who star in the show. Show worked perfect  with this setup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And good for him for stepping aside and letting Don Knotts be the comedic relief on the show. Many actors would not do this, especially those who star in the show. Show worked perfect  with this setup. 

This was the key to his career. Had he played the bumpkin sheriff the show would not have been as successful, and chances are he’s not Matlock.

If you’ve never seen him in A Face in the Crowd I highly recommend it. It’s perhaps the best film made on the modern corruption of American politics, media, and commerce. Lonesome Rhodes is a scary beast and will represent whatever real persona that scares the shit out of you.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

This was the key to his career. Had he played the bumpkin sheriff the show would not have been as successful, and chances are he’s not Matlock.

If you’ve never seen him in A Face in the Crowd I highly recommend it. It’s perhaps the best film made on the modern corruption of American politics, media, and commerce. Lonesome Rhodes is a scary beast and will represent whatever real persona that scares the shit out of you.

I have not checked that out yet. I have been wanting to watch other movies with him as an actor because all I know him in are Andy Griffith and Matlock. 2 shows I adore. I really don't know any of the actors in this show in other shows besides this one as this was way before my time.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have been wanting to watch other movies with him as an actor because all I know him in are Andy Griffith and Matlock.

A Face in the Crowd / No Time for Sergeants. Two sides of the AG acting coin and he kills in both.

• Hook 'Em 2

Stumbled on "Follow That Dream" on MGM movies channel where a dark haired Peggy is trying to get her a piece of Elvis. What a slut. She gets dumped in the lake and drives off in a sporty convertible much like the one she got from her daddy when she was in Mayberry. 

10 hours ago, DougO said:

Stumbled on "Follow That Dream" on MGM movies channel where a dark haired Peggy is trying to get her a piece of Elvis. What a slut. She gets dumped in the lake and drives off in a sporty convertible much like the one she got from her daddy when she was in Mayberry. 

I thought that movie was Elvis' best acting job which is not saying a lot.

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I thought that movie was Elvis' best acting job which is not saying a lot.

Yeah, he was OK, and it wasn't a terrible movie. I looked it up on IMDB and it rated a 6.5. His top rated movie (forget which one it was) was 6.9. Most of his movies rated in the mid 6s, which is pretty telling of the actual quality. 

On 4/5/2021 at 2:20 PM, DougO said:

It's hard to believe Adam 12 was from the same production company. Such a great show.

So this was part of the "Dragnet" discussion.   The entire Dragnet series is available on "FreeVee", and I'm here for it.  I'm about 3 seasons in.  As far as the "Adam 12" and "Emergency" connection, there is quite a bit.  Malloy and Reed have shown up at least once, and "Officer Reed" has appeared at least 4 or 5 times.  Both "Chet" and "Marco" from Emergency have made multiple appearances, Chet usually as a suspect or witness, and Marco as a cop a few times.  "Sgt. MacDonald" (William Boyett) from Adam 12 was also some recurring Battalion Commander or some such on Emergency, and he's appeared a few times in Dragnet, as a cop, as well as a suspect or witness.    Dragnet has also recycled the same actress in multiple roles; as some ponzi-schemer, as a writer for a women's magazine, and as several other characters, sometimes in back to back episodes, or maybe two or 3 weeks later. 

As to Boyette, I was curious as I knew a volleyball player at UCLA by that name back in the 80's. I think I'm a bit older than @Sbbruin but she was really good, so he might know the name.    I was wondering if she was related so I googled him.  I didn't realize that he was a regular on the old "Highway Patrol" series in the 50's and was in 64 episodes.  

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

So this was part of the "Dragnet" discussion.   The entire Dragnet series is available on "FreeVee", and I'm here for it.  I'm about 3 seasons in.  As far as the "Adam 12" and "Emergency" connection, there is quite a bit.  Malloy and Reed have shown up at least once, and "Officer Reed" has appeared at least 4 or 5 times.  Both "Chet" and "Marco" from Emergency have made multiple appearances, Chet usually as a suspect or witness, and Marco as a cop a few times.  "Sgt. MacDonald" (William Boyett) from Adam 12 was also some recurring Battalion Commander or some such on Emergency, and he's appeared a few times in Dragnet, as a cop, as well as a suspect or witness.    Dragnet has also recycled the same actress in multiple roles; as some ponzi-schemer, as a writer for a women's magazine, and as several other characters, sometimes in back to back episodes, or maybe two or 3 weeks later. 

As to Boyette, I was curious as I knew a volleyball player at UCLA by that name back in the 80's. I think I'm a bit older than @Sbbruin but she was really good, so he might know the name.    I was wondering if she was related so I googled him.  I didn't realize that he was a regular on the old "Highway Patrol" series in the 50's and was in 64 episodes.  

Doesn’t ring a bell, but I can’t remember a lot of shit

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

still watching. Bobby Troup making another appearance, and always a bartender.  In an earlier episode, he was also taking bets, because his kid had cancer and he needed money for treatment. 

siap but Bobby Troupe was married to Julie London (Dixie McCall on Emergency!) who was Jack Webb's ex-wife. The woman you're talking about was most likely Virginia Gregg who appeared in 13 different roles.

Don Ross (Carl Freeman) ranks #1 in the most appearances in the show: 31 out of 98 shows. Clark Howat (Capt. Al Trembly) was in 21 episodes. Art Balinger (Capt. Hugh Brown) appeared in 18 shows. Virginia Gregg (13 appearances) was a former radio star on Orson Welles' LUX Radio Theatre on the CBS Radio Network and was one of network radio's busiest actors. Kent McCord and Martin Milner appeared and later had another Jack Webb production, Adam-12, also on NBC. Finally, Burt Mustin, a guy from Pittsburgh who was a salesman most of his life, started his acting career at age 67 (viewers may remember him as Gus the fireman on Leave It To Beaver). He also hosted a weekly radio variety show on KDKA in Pittsburgh in 1921 

I may still be under some sort of post-hypnotic suggestion but anytime Floyd speaks, especially when he’s at work on someone’s hair and goes into a soliloquy, I shut down and become a blind zombie. I don’t know if it’s the cadence, the timbre, or what but Floyd’s voice and mannerisms render me helpless.  Eugene Levy on SCTV as Floyd is a close second. Vive la Floyd!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

I may still be under some sort of post-hypnotic suggestion but anytime Floyd speaks, especially when he’s at work on someone’s hair and goes into a soliloquy, I shut down and become a blind zombie. I don’t know if it’s the cadence, the timbre, or what but Floyd’s voice and mannerisms render me helpless.  Eugene Levy on SCTV as Floyd is a close second. Vive la Floyd!

Eugene Levy did a fine turn as Floyd. If you're a fan of SCTV, check out Joe Flaherty doing Quincy, M.E. where he autopsies Sylvester the Cat. Fucking priceless.

I fucking hate Aunt Bea with a passion.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2022 at 8:07 AM, Capt. Squints said:

Eugene Levy did a fine turn as Floyd. If you're a fan of SCTV, check out Joe Flaherty doing Quincy, M.E. where he autopsies Sylvester the Cat. Fucking priceless.

I fucking hate Aunt Bea with a passion.

Aunt Bea was a stupid bitch. It's was a good thing for her she could cook. Couldn't make pickles for squat, though.

Edited by DougO
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I believe as annoying as Aint Bea was as a character, supposedly Frances Bauvier was an absolute cunt.

Yeah, I've read that she actually despised Andy in real life. She probably couldn't cook for shit, either.

9 hours ago, DougO said:

Aunt Bea was a stupid bitch. It's was a good thing for her she could cook. Couldn't make pickles for squat, though.

She cheated in the pickle contest iirc. Bitch made Andy sell his lucky fishing gear because she just had to have a mink stole because Clara got one. She probably molested Opie.

But not as big of a cunt as Helen.

One has to weigh the benefits Helen gave Andy. She was banging the shit out of him to go with her often unlikeabkle personality.

Frances Bauvier was a known awful person. Aneta Corsault was fucking Andy Griffith in an affair for years. I’ve not read any evidence of actual cuntiness but I’m not TMZ. I think Thelma Lou would have been the wild one in bed among the regular cast.

4 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

She cheated in the pickle contest iirc. Bitch made Andy sell his lucky fishing gear because she just had to have a mink stole because Clara got one. She probably molested Opie.

Probably why he never married Helen. He didn't want to double-down on that shit.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

One has to weigh the benefits Helen gave Andy. She was banging the shit out of him to go with her often unlikeabkle personality.

Frances Bauvier was a known awful person. Aneta Corsault was fucking Andy Griffith in an affair for years. I’ve not read any evidence of actual cuntiness but I’m not TMZ. I think Thelma Lou would have been the wild one in bed among the regular cast.

Barney couldn't even whip his gun out of the holster out without premature firing, so there's no way he was throwing Thelma Lou any quality pipe. She was probably taking leisurely moonlight drives to the hills and hooking up with Rafe Hollister at his secret still hideout for "relaxation."

Edited by DougO

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

Barney couldn't even whip his gun out of the holster out without premature firing, so there's no way he was throwing Thelma Lou any quality pipe. She was probably taking leisurely moonlight drives to the hills and hooking up with Rafe Hollister at his secret still hideout for "relaxation."

Rafe was a talented dude.  Not only could he whip up a mean batch of moonshine, but after plying any unsuspecting lady with some of it, he would sweep them out of their panties with a little crooning.