The Andy Griffith Show

Sbbruin

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Getting towards the end of Season 4, I have seen this actor named Allan Melvin at least 6 times playing 6 different characters. Latest one was the escaped prisoner while Andy is on vacation. I think he played the butcher in a future episode who wants to fight Barney after getting a citation.

melvin_a.jpg

He's a character actor in lots of shows, and series. He was Alices boyfriend in The Brady bunch. Sam the Butcher

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Getting towards the end of Season 4, I have seen this actor named Allan Melvin at least 6 times playing 6 different characters. Latest one was the escaped prisoner while Andy is on vacation. I think he played the butcher in a future episode who wants to fight Barney after getting a citation.

melvin_a.jpg

That guy used to hang around a shady character named Bilko, regularly screwed over Sgt. Carter and he nailed Alice. He was also the original Liquid Plumber guy.

bilko-pilot-1301.jpg?w=723&h=482

gomer+mel.png

abd_pp_001.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is The Andy Griffith Show streaming anywhere? TVland has it on all the time, but usually on weekdays during business hours. 

My favorite episode thus far is the one where Barney arrests the entire town while Andy is away. Don Knotts is growing on me. I'm starting to see the greatness. 

Check out the Sundance channel. It runs multiple episodes a few times a week.

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is The Andy Griffith Show streaming anywhere? TVland has it on all the time, but usually on weekdays during business hours. 

My favorite episode thus far is the one where Barney arrests the entire town while Andy is away. Don Knotts is growing on me. I'm starting to see the greatness. 

It's on them all pretty much.

Keep watching.  Just watched the one last night where the bully was shaking down Opie for a nickel every day until he finally stood up to the punk ass bitch.  Andy's story about Hodie Snitch inspired him.  Always liked the name Hodie Snitch.

18 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It's on them all pretty much.

Keep watching.  Just watched the one last night where the bully was shaking down Opie for a nickel every day until he finally stood up to the punk ass bitch.  Andy's story about Hodie Snitch inspired him.  Always liked the name Hodie Snitch.

Always liked the episodes with Bobby Fleet, especially the first one where he gets Jim a gig, and tells him to dig Bobby back...

Earnest T. Bass, or the Darlin's episodes are all gold.

Any episode where Andy gets to play awwww shucks simple, and beats the state or federal boys to the collar...

The Esquire Club, definitely top 5

The cow thief, another of my top 5, but damn that's a hard 5 too narrow it down to.

National still bustin day

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well for the phrase alone.

When Rafe Hollister sings, if that was his real voice he was a national friggin treasure.

It was his real voice, and he was a recognized singer in his day.  All the Barney and the choir ones were great.  I think there were at least 3- the Raif Hollister one, the one where Gomer beats him out, and the one where they tell him the mic is hot and he needs to sign super quiet.

• Like 1

Another great one (watching now)- “A Deal is a Deal”- where Opie and his buddies try selling Miracle Salve, and Barney and Gomer go to the offices of the Miracle Salve company and Barney poses as a veterinarian.  Barney’s talent on full display.

15 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

It was his real voice, and he was a recognized singer in his day.  All the Barney and the choir ones were great.  I think there were at least 3- the Raif Hollister one, the one where Gomer beats him out, and the one where they tell him the mic is hot and he needs to sign super quiet.

The one with the old lady moonshiners was on over the weekend.  I am pretty sure the guy who plays Rafe Hollister was in it as a moonshiner.  Had a different character name though.

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

The one with the old lady moonshiners was on over the weekend.  I am pretty sure the guy who plays Rafe Hollister was in it as a moonshiner.  Had a different character name though.

Yep, he was about 3 different named characters I believe Rafe at least 2x.  Another time he was holding up his shack, and Andy had to go get him out, and the Moonshine episode was at least his 3rd character.

https://denniscooperblog.com/ghost-town-a-brief-history-of-40-acres-california-1926-1976/

Pretty cool photos of the backlot (40 Acres) where the outdoor shots for TAGS were filmed.

Other things filmed there were parts of Gone With The Wind, Gomer Pyle, Hogan's Heros, The Adventures Of Superman, The Untouchables and some episodes of Batman and Star Trek and countless other movies.

Too bad they tore it all down. 

• Like 3

I watched every black and white episode in order from the end of January and it took me until about March or so. It was cool seeing the progression of the show in that manner. You could see Andy getting more annoyed and angry as the show moved on. He went from a aw shucks gee golly character in the beginning.

Are the colored episodes worth watching at all?

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I watched every black and white episode in order from the end of January and it took me until about March or so. It was cool seeing the progression of the show in that manner. You could see Andy getting more annoyed and angry as the show moved on. He went from a aw shucks gee golly character in the beginning.

I actually love the one where Andy has to eat three spaghetti dinners.

Favorite episodes? Pretty much every one with Barney. But - The Darlings coming to town (“just a bed and a Bible”), Class Reunion, the first Christmas episode where the furniture store owner is a Scrooge. Just so many. Such great writing.

Edited by Brandywine

On 4/24/2019 at 1:06 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I noticed that to about how his personality changed. More serious and angry. It really changed when Barney left and the shows went to color. That’s why I really don’t watch any of the “after Barney” episodes.

• Like 1

Andy became an alcoholic in real life. He also started screwing Aneta Corsaut (Helen Crump) and his marriage broke up with some domestic violence accusations. He kinda turned into Lonesome Rhodes for a while. No wonder the show suffered.

• Like 1

Andy became an alcoholic in real life. He also started screwing Aneta Corsaut (Helen Crump) and his marriage broke up with some domestic violence accusations. He kinda turned into Lonesome Rhodes for a while. No wonder the show suffered.
I heard him and Don Knott's were big time ladies men in those days and drank a lot.

On April 22, 2019 at 5:22 PM, Sbbruin said:

Yea, the choir one when they played Raiif Hollister's (?) voice over Barney's. His expressions are priceless. Too many episodes to put in a top ten. 

Thought I had it saved on recordings but gone. Will have to find it again. 

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
16 hours ago, RPM said:

I heard him and Don Knott's were big time ladies men in those days and drank a lot.

Image result for barney fife big maud

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I hated the Darlings when I watched this show as a kid. But on my in order watch of this, I enjoyed their episodes and when Andy played with those guys.

{Staring blankly with slack jaw in bemused, confused wonder at that comment......}. Hate the Darlins ????!!!

• Like 1