The Andy Griffith Show

Sbbruin

On 12/26/2020 at 8:40 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Howard Mc Near was a definite upgrade. His timing was fantastic.

McNear was a fantastic character actor. He played Doc on the radio version of Gunsmoke. So sad he stroked out, but Andy kept him in the troupe for as long as he could. The episode where Andy pretends he and Opie are Floyd's sons is fantastic.

285d7e5a88924eab56c25ee82ee7ca17.jpg

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 3

Adam 12 is on one of the poors channels now, and Helen Crump with orange hair is Pete Malloy's date to the police banquet were Reed is getting a medal. They're all sitting with the other wives and GFs. It just doesn't seem like a fit, she looks more she should be his mom.

The next show that followed must be the first one, where rookie Reed is being assigned to be Malloy's partner, and Pete is acting like kind of a dick.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, DougO said:

Adam 12 is on one of the poors channels now, and Helen Crump with orange hair is Pete Malloy's date to the police banquet were Reed is getting a medal. They're all sitting with the other wives and GFs. It just doesn't seem like a fit, she looks more she should be his mom.

The next show that followed must be the first one, where rookie Reed is being assigned to be Malloy's partner, and Pete is acting like kind of a dick.

I celebrate the entire Mark VII Productions catalogue.

DrearyBraveDrever-small.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, DougO said:

That was the final episode of the 2 part Adam-12 finale in S7. Pete was rolling in the sweet AMC Matador. No wonder Helen had the hots.

• Like 1

I'm on the computer catching up with the TV on in the background and it's an episode of the Waltons. I'm not paying attention but I hear a distinct familiar voice and I know it's Peg from Andy Griffith. Double checked with IMDB and damn sure it is. She's trying to pick up John Walton on a weekend stay at a rooming house while he's trying to get work.

It's 12 years after Andy and she looks a bit rough around the edges, which isn't that surprising considering her bio. Still not bad, though.

Edited by DougO

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2021 at 11:53 PM, Brothahorn said:

Acting on Dragnet is soooo bad, I can't turn away from it.

yeah, we know that Col. Potter could act, but he couldn't when he was on that show.  The best is when they were watching the Rams game at Gannon's house.  It was an awesome episode. 

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

yeah, we know that Col. Potter could act, but he couldn't when he was on that show.  The best is when they were watching the Rams game at Gannon's house.  It was an awesome episode. 

That, and the battle of wits over drugs with the Timothy Leary character.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Webb could actually act, but he wanted Dragnet to be a pure procedural. Watch Pete Kelly's Blues for a different Webb.

On 4/3/2021 at 1:53 AM, Brothahorn said:

Acting on Dragnet is soooo bad, I can't turn away from it.

A lot of versions of Dragnet have been made, including the original radio show, the original tv show, the reboot with Webb and Morgan, the movie with Hanks and Akroyd, and the tv reboot with Ed O'Neil, but everybody knows you're talking about the Webb/Morgan version when you say Dragnet. 

Amazing how much less money was spent on production in those days. Webb and Morgan wore the same suits in every episode, except Webb wore a red sweater in one, where he was taking a college class. They used to splice all the transition scenes across multiple seasons, like them walking to the car, getting out of the car, leaving their desks, etc. Wearing the same suits in every episode let them splice all those scenes in seamlessly. 

Both wore dark ties, Webb the gray jacket and black pants, and Morgan the gray suit. 

I remember an interview with Morgan when they shut down MASH. He said he told them not to shut the show down, cause everyone was pitching all these projects to them, and that a lot of people didn't realize the show was the star. He said he'd been fortunate enough to be in three legitimate hits (December Bride, Dragnet and MASH,) and while the series were running, everyone wanted him to star in something, and the day the show ended, nobody wanted to know him. According to him, after both December Bride and Dragnet, there were times he became convinced he'd never work again. 

Weird thing about some shows is that they become iconic, and you can't really put a finger on why, except they were memorable. Gilligan's Island, the Munsters, Dragnet, the first five seasons of Andy Griffith, Dick Van Dyke, the Beverly Hillbillies and Bewitched are memorable. Some of them were good, some awful, but all are memorable. 

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Hook 'Em 1

It always kind of annoyed me how the classic Dragnet was directed so that one person started responding almsot before the first person was finished talking. There was zero space in between opposing lines, making it very unrealistic and staged. Now when I turn on the TV and flip through some of these goofy sitcoms that are all the same, mostly the ones about silly dysfunctional families, they use the same technique, like it's just one person talking non-stop but through different faces.

23 minutes ago, DougO said:

It always kind of annoyed me how the classic Dragnet was directed so that one person started responding almsot before the first person was finished talking. There was zero space in between opposing lines, making it very unrealistic and staged.

You need to listen to the radio Dragnet. That's where it came from. Fast paced, just the facts Ma'am, salute the flag, procedural. Webb was zero focused on giving you the raw experience with as little bs as possible. Sure, you have to sift in some light hearted bits to keep from depressing the shit out of everyone, but in the end they feel like they rode in the car with the cop.

It was Wednesday, September 23rd. It was warm out...

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, DougO said:

It always kind of annoyed me how the classic Dragnet was directed so that one person started responding almsot before the first person was finished talking. There was zero space in between opposing lines, making it very unrealistic and staged. Now when I turn on the TV and flip through some of these goofy sitcoms that are all the same, mostly the ones about silly dysfunctional families, they use the same technique, like it's just one person talking non-stop but through different faces.

and they stood inches apart also.  

8 hours ago, RPM said:

You need to listen to the radio Dragnet. That's where it came from. Fast paced, just the facts Ma'am, salute the flag, procedural. Webb was zero focused on giving you the raw experience with as little bs as possible. Sure, you have to sift in some light hearted bits to keep from depressing the shit out of everyone, but in the end they feel like they rode in the car with the cop.

It was Wednesday, September 23rd. It was warm out...

I've actually listened to the radio show a few times, and your explanation makes sense for how the tv show did it. 

It just makes me laugh when Webb gives one of his anti-drug speeches. Or how easily they always get the tough guy to surrender. Like the episode with Lee Marvin. Overall great show, though.

4 hours ago, DougO said:

It's hard to believe Adam 12 was from the same production company. Such a great show.

As was "Emergency", about L.A. paramedic-firefighters, and the staff at a county hospital. 

Fun fact:  Dr. Joe Early, one of the ER docs, was played by Bobby Troup.  Bobby Troup wrote dozens of hit songs, including "Get your kicks on Route 66" and "The Girl Can't Help It".  And his real-life wife, Julie London (the jazz singer) played a Nurse on the show. 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Haven't looked through the early pages, so SIAP, but here's Andy Griffith singing the theme song:

That's funny, and cool. I knew there were words to the song, just like there are to the theme from Bonanza.

A few years back there was a production company from L.A that was here at Lernerville Speedway, outside Pittsburgh, to film some episodes of a pilot reality-type racing show.

I was talking to one of the guys and for some reason we started talking about where he lives and he said he lived close to the pond/lake that was used in the opening scene, the fishing hole so to speak.

He said it's right next to Beverly Hills, close to Santa Monica and that would mean close to the ocean. Franklin Park, or Franklin Lake, I think it is called.

Much different than North Carolina. Which always makes me laugh as with the Daniel Boone TV show in what is supposed to be Kentucke but, looks a lot like California. 

52 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That's funny, and cool. I knew there were words to the song, just like there are to the theme from Bonanza.

A few years back there was a production company from L.A that was here at Lernerville Speedway, outside Pittsburgh, to film some episodes of a pilot reality-type racing show.

I was talking to one of the guys and for some reason we started talking about where he lives and he said he lived close to the pond/lake that was used in the opening scene, the fishing hole so to speak.

He said it's right next to Beverly Hills, close to Santa Monica and that would mean close to the ocean. Franklin Park, or Franklin Lake, I think it is called.

Much different than North Carolina. Which always makes me laugh as with the Daniel Boone TV show in what is supposed to be Kentucke but, looks a lot like California. 

Settings for TV shows and movies can be problematic for those that have the even the slightest knowledge of geography. It can be downright comical at times where they are supposed to be in one location but the scenery just does not align.

Prior to Covid we would have a lot more visitors to our factory in NE Texas and they were always surprised about the environment because of all of the trees. This was particularly true for almost 100% of the foreign visitors. All of their exposure to Texas were westerns and cattle drives where it was all like West Texas or the Hill Country.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I thought it was in Griffith Park (no pun). But it looks like you're right. Franklin Canyon Park.

Edited by RPM

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

I thought it was in Griffith Park (no pun).

Ha ha, yeah, that would have been funny. But, I just came across an L.A. Times Blog that says it was Franklin Canyon Park, which is just west of Griffith.

https://www.latimes.com/health/la-xpm-2012-may-26-la-he-walks-franklin-canyon-20120526-story.html

By CHARLES FLEMING, LOS ANGELES TIMES
MAY 26, 2012 12 AM PT 

I only recently discovered this hidden country-in-the-city hiking spot, set below Mulholland Drive, west of Coldwater Canyon, and just minutes from Beverly Hills or Studio City. Although less well known than nearby Runyon or Fryman canyons, it may look familiar on your first visit: Bits of TV shows, such as Bonanza,” and movies, such as “It Happened One Night,” were shot here.

1.Park off Franklin Canyon Drive, near the Sooky Goldman Nature Center, named after a local nature lover who helped save the area from development.

2.Walk down Franklin Canyon Drive, which offers numerous places to observe the Mandarin and wood ducks and other water fowl on Upper Franklin Canyon Reservoir, then take in the shade at Heavenly Pond.

3.The 1914 construction of this reservoir was overseen by water mogul William Mulholland. The 3-acre lake gained TV fame as the “fishing hole” seen in the opening credits for “The Andy Griffith Show.” For a short walk, circle the lake and head for the parking lot. For a longer walk, turn right down Franklin Canyon Drive, then bear left onto Lake Drive.

• Hook 'Em 2

I had a nightmare construction project on Franklin Canyon Drive, a couple of decades ago.   Construction loan that went bad on a monster 4 story shithole of a house on a hillside.   It had been abandoned (in bankruptcy) for over a year before I got control of it.  The neighbors were all pissed because it was an eyesore, construction had fucked the street up and it hadn't been repaired, etc.  

The next door neighbor (an old Asian woman) in particular was really pissed, and used to give me an earful everytime I went there.  a "Ms. Nuyen".  Damn good looking for an old woman. 

Later I learned that it was France Nuyen, the star of "South Pacific" and former Mrs. Robert Culp, and former Brando side piece (seen here with William Shatner)

6d8e66acd1da6ea00e4e313dbb4ecaa2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Ha ha, yeah, that would have been funny. But, I just came across an L.A. Times Blog that says it was Franklin Canyon Park, which is just west of Griffith.

https://www.latimes.com/health/la-xpm-2012-may-26-la-he-walks-franklin-canyon-20120526-story.html

By CHARLES FLEMING, LOS ANGELES TIMES
MAY 26, 2012 12 AM PT 

I only recently discovered this hidden country-in-the-city hiking spot, set below Mulholland Drive, west of Coldwater Canyon, and just minutes from Beverly Hills or Studio City. Although less well known than nearby Runyon or Fryman canyons, it may look familiar on your first visit: Bits of TV shows, such as Bonanza,” and movies, such as “It Happened One Night,” were shot here.

1.Park off Franklin Canyon Drive, near the Sooky Goldman Nature Center, named after a local nature lover who helped save the area from development.

2.Walk down Franklin Canyon Drive, which offers numerous places to observe the Mandarin and wood ducks and other water fowl on Upper Franklin Canyon Reservoir, then take in the shade at Heavenly Pond.

3.The 1914 construction of this reservoir was overseen by water mogul William Mulholland. The 3-acre lake gained TV fame as the “fishing hole” seen in the opening credits for “The Andy Griffith Show.” For a short walk, circle the lake and head for the parking lot. For a longer walk, turn right down Franklin Canyon Drive, then bear left onto Lake Drive.

Cool photo.....

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...