Coolest Covers You've Seen at Concerts

Grandioso

No criteria other than the above. 

Black Crowes - Can't You Hear Me Knocking (Rolling Stones)

Rolling Stones - Bob Wills is Still the King (Waylon Jennings) - Zilker Park, Austin

The Dead - El Paso (Marty Robbins) - Requires context, because the Grateful Dead probably played that shit 1,000+ times. It was at Willie's Fourth of July Picnic. It had rained a little bit and when the Dead came out for the second set, the sky was clearing, and Bob Weir said, "hey check out that rainbow." The crowd turned around and there was a got damn rainbow behind us. Then Willie came out and jammed on the song and when they sang the lyring "Leavin' Texas, fourth day of July," everyone went "whooaoaaaaaaaa." 

Ryan Adams - Down in a Hole (Alice in Chains) - Hey, his Wonderwall is great, but this is his cover gem for me.

Galactic - When the Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin) - This is a fairly common cover for them, but it was in October 2005 and the subject matter was extremely relevant. The singer they had screamed from the pits of hell. 

First that comes to mind is Hangout Fest a few years ago. Ceelo was supposed to play mid-afternoon, and when about 10-15 minutes had elapsed past his start time I knew something was up (festivals keep the set times pretty tight). Sure enough the organizer got up and said that Ceelo’s flight had been delayed, so the Foo Fighters are gonna entertain y’all instead. They did a whole set of covers starting with School’s Out and ending with Darling Nikki, and Ceelo hit the stage just in time to sing the last half with them. It was awesome, the sort of thing that only happens at festivals. Foos went on to blow it out in the headlining slot that night.

https://youtu.be/7utvqW7SKlI

Wasn't there but still a badass tribute to a fellow guitar god...

On Sunday, April 24th 2016 David Gilmour performed for Teenage Cancer Trust at the Royal Albert Hall. This is an audience recording of David Gilmour performing Comfortably Numb, with the inclusion of Purple Rain as a tribute to Prince.

I saw W.A.S.P. do a solid cover of How Deep Is Your Love.

Would not have expected that.

I saw Sammy, Ted Nugent, and Ric Emmet cover Whole Lotta Love at the Texas Jam. Brought the house down.

Styx came on after with their Mr. Roboto stuff and it didn’t go well for them.

The Dead - El Paso (Marty Robbins) - Requires context, because the Grateful Dead probably played that shit 1,000+ times. It was at Willie's Fourth of July Picnic. It had rained a little bit and when the Dead came out for the second set, the sky was clearing, and Bob Weir said, "hey check out that rainbow." The crowd turned around and there was a got damn rainbow behind us. Then Willie came out and jammed on the song and when they sang the lyring "Leavin' Texas, fourth day of July,"

Small nitpick, but the line you reference is from Jack Straw, not El Paso. Nonetheless, your point that it was a glorious day to see The Dead in Texas stands!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Small nitpick, but the line you reference is from Jack Straw, not El Paso. Nonetheless, your point that it was a glorious day to see The Dead in Texas stands!

and not a cover! And Jack Straw is my favorite Dead song. 

Samsonite! I was WAY off!

15 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I am imagining this in my head now and I see how they could have totally unironically pulled that off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was amazing, it was about 8 years ago and they were playing a multi night stand at T5 in NYC, different album each show and different encore. That same show they also did the Who's "Quick one before I go" and Prince's "I could never be your man". Another night it was "All Night" by Lionel Ritchie. 

I saw DMB in Ames back in college (give me a break, I was 19 and it was 2004).  They were playing with Ben Harper and My Morning Jacket, who were both awesome, and I was living across the street.

Towards the end of DMB's set, they announce that a buddy of their's was hanging backstage and wanted to join them for a bit.

Neil Fucking Young comes out (he was not on the bill, mind you) and they played All Along the Watchtower, Rockin' In the Free World, and Cortez the Killer.  I don't know if it qualifies as a cover per se, but fuck it, that was cool as all get out.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 5:28 PM, Hate said:

Clarifying the order of things, here. Jack Straw was the rainbow/lyric shit that amazed everyone, and El Paso was Willie playing El Paso with the dead.

1. Set Two
  2. Jam
  3. (Marty Robbins cover) (with Willie Nelson)

19 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Clarifying the order of things, here. Jack Straw was the rainbow/lyric shit that amazed everyone, and El Paso was Willie playing El Paso with the dead.

1. Set Two
  2. Jam
  3. (Marty Robbins cover) (with Willie Nelson)

I remember it well.  I wish they came to Texas more often.  It was pretty special seeing them there.  Other than the traffic, that place was great.  

Greensky Bluegrass did a really cool jam of  When Dove’s Cry > Fame > When Doves Cry at Telluride Bluegrass the summer after Bowie and Prince died.

1987 Girls, Girls, Girls tour at Reunion arena, the Crüe brought out a couple guys from Cinderella and a couple from Ratt and played Zepplin’s Rock and Roll.  I was 11 and it was fucking awesome.

In 1994 I saw both the Grateful Dead and the Stones play Not Fade Away within a few months of each other.  Dead also played the Beatles’ Rain.

at Deer Creek in ‘99 Phish did a really nice Whipping Post.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I was about as high as I’ve been in my life when Phish covered Misty Mountain Hop at Southpark Meadows. Had a great time.

That was a good show.  They also played covers of Lovin' Cup, Peaches en Regalia, and Boogie on Reggae Woman that night.  I was pretty pumped for the Peaches.

36 minutes ago, Druggist said:

That was a good show.  They also played covers of Lovin' Cup, Peaches en Regalia, and Boogie on Reggae Woman that night.  I was pretty pumped for the Peaches.

I unfortunately don’t remember Lovin’ Cup.