Basic tents

jimmyjazz

On 2/11/2019 at 11:36 PM, BillyBadAss said:

I'm my experience car camping in Texas, heat is your biggest enemy. To combat it, you want as much mesh on the tent as possible and going down as far to the ground as possible. Think cross breeze across your head.  Most Coleman's I've seen are not good in this regard. I've had an REI Basecamp 4 and kingdom 6.  I liked the Basecamp a bit better, but for 4 ppl and the current sale the kingdom 6 is pretty good. 

That's another thing I like about my cheap two-person tent that I posted upthread.  It's got a lot of mesh for air circulation.  You're right- nothing much more miserable to me when camping than heat and humidity in the tent.

I respectfully disagree with ROFL about the built-in air pumps in air mattresses.  I have a coleman one, and I like it.  Seems like there's always so much gear involved in camping, and a mattress with a built-in pump is just one less piece of gear to haul around.  

I did +rep our roofing friend for the suggestion about reflective tent ropes.  I didn't even know they made such a thing.

Coleman Sundome Tents are simple to setup, cheap, and regularly go on sale. They have different sizes but they are all pretty much the same design. You could get 2x 3-man tents. The downside of this approach is if rains while you are out, then the crew is split. Upside, you have flexibility if only half the crew comes and they are stupid fast to setup.
The other option is to get a family tent like Luke’s and everyone stays together. We have one that’s large enough that it has little rooms that can be divided (divided by something that’s like a rain fly material). If there are four of you, you could easily have a “living room / bedrooms” setup which makes it great if it rains or if some want to stay up to play cards etc. The downside is that those tents are harder to setup. They’re easy compared to tents of old but I can take 45 min the first couple of times you pitch them. The sundomes take about 5 min to pitch for comparison.

Those Coleman Sundome models look exactly like what I'm looking for.  Interesting that the 4-person model is about $2 more than the 3-person version.  Lots more interior space and more height as well.

ROFLBOX gave me a good tip that I'm checking out as well.  This thread has been great -- thanks.

4 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

Coleman Sundome Tents are simple to setup, cheap, and regularly go on sale. They have different sizes but they are all pretty much the same design. You could get 2x 3-man tents. The downside of this approach is if rains while you are out, then the crew is split. Upside, you have flexibility if only half the crew comes and they are stupid fast to setup.
The other option is to get a family tent like Luke’s and everyone stays together. We have one that’s large enough that it has little rooms that can be divided (divided by something that’s like a rain fly material). If there are four of you, you could easily have a “living room / bedrooms” setup which makes it great if it rains or if some want to stay up to play cards etc. The downside is that those tents are harder to setup. They’re easy compared to tents of old but I can take 45 min the first couple of times you pitch them. The sundomes take about 5 min to pitch for comparison.

went camping last june in a borrowed sundome.  i'd never set up a sundome before and had it up within 5 minutes.  i don't think i could do that with my old timberline even though i could literally assemble it blindfolded (we practiced that a few times - almost necessary when you get to enchanted rock or lost maples at 9 with a 2 hour hike before you got to your camp). 

Edited by elfenix

Car camping, meaning you won't be walking much more than 50 ft. to "lug" gear from your vehicle.  You can go heavy, no big deal.
Footprints can get pricey.  I suggest a good, heavy tarp but  don't take Zork's advice from above - if you wrap the tarp up the sides of the tent, you'll simply trap water that runs down the walls of the tent.  Take that tarp & fold it under itself & then make sure the outer edge of the tarp is a couple of inches under the wall / edge of the tent.
Keep your eyes on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.  Always a great deal to be found there.  My 1st tent we got for using on Cub Scout campouts was a used Ureka! for $ 85.00 with fly (no footprint, I got a large tarp).  The heavy tarp will smooth out any minor irregularities from the ground & definitely be durable to last for years of use.  On the other side, if y'all decide to not keep up with camping then you can simply use the tarp for other functional things.  I did a smart & knew the tent wouldn't easily fit back into the bag it came out of, so I purchased a large clear tub with lid & fit the tent, tarp, stakes, fly & extra cord + stakes in there.  Saves on hassle.

Oh, & whatever you get, you will absolutely, 100% want to ALWAYS flip the tent inside out before you leave the campsite & ALWAYS hang it out to dry when you get home.  Leave it hanging inside out for @ least 1 day on the back porch, whatever, because nothing is worse than a smelly tent that's been packed away for 6 months & you can't ever get the smell to go away.

Solid advice on getting another container for large tents because they are a pain in the butt to get back in their bags. I ripped the tent bag at some point and so I got an over sized duffel bag with wheels for the tent and all the fixings.
Also agree with your advice on the tarp - that has never failed me.

Also, you might also want to look @ air mattresses for general car camping comfort.  Again, fully functional for sleepover guests, whatever, if you don't decide to like camping.  For inflating mine,  I used miln0880-20_N1-19.jpg
on the blower side & it fully inflated a double height queen sized mattress in approx. 20 seconds.  The ones with the built in inflator are crap.

Could you please post a link or a model name for this product, kind sir?

Got a tent for Christmas. Thread reminds me that I need to set it up so that I can make sure it’s not defective or missing anything.

c200f375b58f93ca824374215f7d8621.jpg

38e9ba63673692644c7ea9dedf9457a7.jpg

c23b5528cab3f037fba761d231c0838b.jpg

I think it ran for like $80-100. I have other ALPS mountaineering gear and the quality is definitely legit. The orange color is a thumbs up of course.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up buying a pair of Coleman Sundome 4-person tents, with the expectation that we'll sleep 2 per tent.  They were actually less expensive than the 2- or 3-person models.  I'll take the space.  We're going this weekend.

That said, what's the strategy for a pad to put under a sleeping bag?  I'm not worried about comfort so much -- I've slept on hard ground many times, but typically in the summer -- I'd just like to keep the cold out as much as I can.  Temperatures look to bottom out around 50 F this weekend, which is hardly brutal, but I think our sleeping bags are only rated to 40 F (I'll have to check).  They're legit, it's not like they're the Hello Kitty model or anything, but they're not for climbing K2, either.

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ended up buying a pair of Coleman Sundome 4-person tents, with the expectation that we'll sleep 2 per tent.  They were actually less expensive than the 2- or 3-person models.  I'll take the space.  We're going this weekend.

That said, what's the strategy for a pad to put under a sleeping bag?  I'm not worried about comfort so much -- I've slept on hard ground many times, but typically in the summer -- I'd just like to keep the cold out as much as I can.  Temperatures look to bottom out around 50 F this weekend, which is hardly brutal, but I think our sleeping bags are only rated to 40 F (I'll have to check).  They're legit, it's not like they're the Hello Kitty model or anything, but they're not for climbing K2, either.

That's cold enough that it will seep up into the sleeper without an insulated pad, regardless of bag rating. An air mattress can be comfy, but without some insulation, means you will be cold, most likely.  Also, any type of cot or raised platform can get chilly without insulation.  The bottom of a sleeping bag is too compressed to offer much insulation.

A thin closed-cell foam pad is cheap, good insulation, but doesn't add much comfort.  There are compressible pads (Thermarest type) that are both comfortable and insulating but costly.

Also, pro-tip:  there is a temptation to go to bed nearly fully dressed.  It is much more important to shed what you wore during the day, which is damp with sweat, than to pile on a bunch of layers that include day-damp clothes.  This is vital info when it's under 40 at night, but makes a difference anytime it gets pretty cool at night.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 2/19/2019 at 1:27 PM, texas08 said:

Got a tent for Christmas. Thread reminds me that I need to set it up so that I can make sure it’s not defective or missing anything.

c200f375b58f93ca824374215f7d8621.jpg

38e9ba63673692644c7ea9dedf9457a7.jpg

c23b5528cab3f037fba761d231c0838b.jpg

I think it ran for like $80-100. I have other ALPS mountaineering gear and the quality is definitely legit. The orange color is a thumbs up of course.

Yep, same.  It's good stuff.  I think they took the business model of finding an Asian factory that mfrs for a brand name, then specced their own product and avoid some of the big name markup.

Re: what Twice said about an air mattress, since you're car camping I'd go with an insulated pad  & put that on top of a roll up air mattress.  Maybe even layer that with one of the bulky / inexpensive square sleeping bags under you or a blanket you won't mind out in the camping environment.

4 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Re: what Twice said about an air mattress, since you're car camping I'd go with an insulated pad  & put that on top of a roll up air mattress.  Maybe even layer that with one of the bulky / inexpensive square sleeping bags under you or a blanket you won't mind out in the camping environment.

Yeah, that's an idea.  I think a cheap, beach/pool air mattress wrapped in a decently thick blanket would do the trick, and keep you from sliding off it as easily.  You'd think an air mattress, with that dead air space, would be decent insulation from the ground, but it isn't.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I haul way too much shit to be able to use one of those practically.  Much easier just to pop up the tent and keep the coolers, firewood, etc. in the back of the pickup.  
This. Coolers, chairs, cots or mattresses, bags, fishing rods, tackle boxes...

Yeah, that's an idea.  I think a cheap, beach/pool air mattress wrapped in a decently thick blanket would do the trick, and keep you from sliding off it as easily.  You'd think an air mattress, with that dead air space, would be decent insulation from the ground, but it isn't.
So... the tradeoff is sleeping on a cool air mattress vs a hard af pad on the ground vs a cot that isn't wide enough for man shoulders...

I've done them all..
Mattress > Cot > Pad

I hate waking up every 30 mins. I like a cool sleep surface, so...

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Well, there are better alternatives. The Exped Megamat 10 is the most comfortable camping mattress ever and has an R Value of 9.5, it just isn’t cheap.

Holy crap -- at $149 x 4 I would rather just take my family to Hyatt Lost Pines for a couple of nights.

• 2 months later...

Some of y’all sure carry a lot of comfort crap. I felt like a pussy when I switched from a rolled up foam pad to a 2 inch self inflating pad. Full sized air mattresses and pumps?  Why not just open the windows of your bedroom and call it camping?  

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Some of y’all sure carry a lot of comfort crap. I felt like a pussy when I switched from a rolled up foam pad to a 2 inch self inflating pad. Full sized air mattresses and pumps?  Why not just open the windows of your bedroom and call it camping?  

Car camping & heading out with the Cub Scout Pack = bring lots of crap.  @ Least that's how I rolled, anyhow.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:31 AM, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Go cheap and I dont mean that sarcastically.  It's the good idea fairy for most young families and rarely done more than twice away from the house. Seriously, do it once in the back yard and see what all goes into it and if the wife can withstand sleeping on the ground.  If you do it twice away from home, then you've paid for the equipment in entertainment value alone and it wont bother you so much seeing that pile of stuff in the garage 10-20 yrs later.  Get something cheap so mom can sleep without the bugs (and backup plan if weather gets bad) but I would try to show my youngin's how to build a shelter and build/cook on a fire.  just a thought. 

On 3/20/2019 at 7:21 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Holy crap -- at $149 x 4 I would rather just take my family to Hyatt Lost Pines for a couple of nights.

You can camp cheap or spend a lot. Ozark Trail vs. Kelty, Northface. It helps to shop around. I don't mind getting used equipment. Especially when it's new old stock. I have a Eureka Timberline 2man I scored for 75 bucks. It had never even had the guy lines tied. Both of my Coleman lanterns are from Ebay. Vintage is a fancy term to bilk people out of more money than if they called it used or old. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

There’s only maybe a handful of things I have actually paid full price for, myself. There’s always sales and discounts on gear.

Especially in the age of the internet where you can spread out your search & get something from across the country vs. only being able to scan the newspaper classifieds or your local REI "for sale / trade" board.

47 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

You can camp cheap or spend a lot. Ozark Trail vs. Kelty, Northface. It helps to shop around. I don't mind getting used equipment. Especially when it's new old stock. I have a Eureka Timberline 2man I scored for 75 bucks. It had never even had the guy lines tied. Both of my Coleman lanterns are from Ebay. Vintage is a fancy term to bilk people out of more money than if they called it used or old. 

My 1st Scouting tent was (is) a Eureka! 6 person & I got it for $ 85.00, over near Lockhart (was a good reason to hit up Smitty's).  Used it for 5 years with an average of 3x per year before the floor finally gave out on the seams.  I've still got issues with trying to get the seams re-sealed & haven't talked myself into letting that tent go.

54 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

My 1st Scouting tent was (is) a Eureka! 6 person & I got it for $ 85.00, over near Lockhart (was a good reason to hit up Smitty's).  Used it for 5 years with an average of 3x per year before the floor finally gave out on the seams.  I've still got issues with trying to get the seams re-sealed & haven't talked myself into letting that tent go.

I love them. You can set one up in the dark with no problem, stout in a bad wind, and well built. 

• Like 1

Tent poles?

mmm-hmm

You already have a tent?

Well, something like that.  

Well, you give me the model number on the tent and I can order you the poles.  

Nah, never mind I want a tent.  

Well, what kind of tent?

The kind with the most poles. 

• Like 2